Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 428

I Don't Know How Many Time I Have to Say It But...Style, style, style.

:iconillastrat:
illastrat Nov 30, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I know ya'll know me for being controversial. Today, I am going to try to refrain. All I want to say is that STYLE is far greater than technique. If people can't deferentiate your art from another then you will not have a voices. For my noobs, work on solidifying your style. I dropped out of art school like most great artists because it was draining my style. People that follow convention have a hard time breaking out of it. So they prop technique up like its important. Its not. Go for style people. Anyone can learn golden ratios and the element and principles of design. But few create their own rules. Just putting this out there.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjellybean9000:
Jellybean9000 Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ideal drinks, anyone?
:iconschris91:
schris91 Dec 10, 2012  Student Filmographer
So you clearly ARE trying to be controversial. However, this statement is a completely moot point. It all depends on what you're doing. If its just general graphic design, do you really need technique, probably not. If you're doing something like trying to learn to oil paint real life or trying to create a comic with human characters, you better learn some technique or be ready to produce some god awful works of "art."
:iconxadrea:
Xadrea Dec 10, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Correction: You dropped out of art school because you're pretentious and a self proclaimed god and couldn't bear for an educated person holding an MFA telling you that to your face.
:iconmythicsonofgod:
MYTHICSONOFGOD Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
completely agreed, great post.
:iconxadrea:
Xadrea Dec 11, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
:no: It would be best at this point if he deactivates. The only other thing that could happen is a ban since he's been posting threads under the wrong categories for a long time, but I think he knows how to get around that
:iconthestudierofthearts:
Thestudierofthearts Dec 6, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
you're stuff hurt my eyes
:iconyangyexin:
Yangyexin Dec 6, 2012   Digital Artist
Want to know something? Dropping out of school does not mean you're going to be brave and successful like all those older artists. It means you're stupid and too conceited to listen to anyone else's opinion.
Style is important, but you have to KNOW what it is you're drawing before you decide to make it into your depiction. It's like driving: You know what it is, but you'll never know how to handle the road until you know what the tools are for and why they're there.
:icondannyovt:
Understanding techniques will help you improve your own style, I just don't understand how you don't see this. Lets take for example watercolors, a very technical medium in the sense that it easy for things to go wrong. Learning techniques in watercolor like creating textures using salt, alcohol, rice, etc. can be used to greatly enhanced your own style. Also learning about wet on wet vs. wet on dry could give your style different flavors. I don't think your style will disappear just because you learned a technique to control the medium and this is mostly what they teach in art school; controlling the medium. Basic art classes focus on you drawing "academically" but that changes in more advance courses.

I would have stayed in school, learn about all mediums and techniques and then bend them to my will -_^.
:iconooninayumeoo:
OoNinaYuMeoO Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I agree with it even if technical bases are necessary before having style.

but isn't it boastfull to say "I dropped out of art school like most great artists because it was draining my style." ? ^^ (i do not intend to be mean saying this)
:iconmystic-serat:
Style and technique go hand in hand. You need some techniques that can benefit your style and vice-versa. Everyone has their own styles, rules, etc. that they make and break if it will improve their art. I do it if it helps improve with my drawing style. Everyone else already said what I wanted to say, me repeating that is like beating a dead horse.

As far as reading all the posts by the OP and all that, I'm not sure if this be troll, arrogance, stupid, or something else...
Add a Comment: