Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 428

I Don't Know How Many Time I Have to Say It But...Style, style, style.

:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I know ya'll know me for being controversial. Today, I am going to try to refrain. All I want to say is that STYLE is far greater than technique. If people can't deferentiate your art from another then you will not have a voices. For my noobs, work on solidifying your style. I dropped out of art school like most great artists because it was draining my style. People that follow convention have a hard time breaking out of it. So they prop technique up like its important. Its not. Go for style people. Anyone can learn golden ratios and the element and principles of design. But few create their own rules. Just putting this out there.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjellybean9000:
Jellybean9000 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ideal drinks, anyone?
:iconschris91:
schris91 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Filmographer
So you clearly ARE trying to be controversial. However, this statement is a completely moot point. It all depends on what you're doing. If its just general graphic design, do you really need technique, probably not. If you're doing something like trying to learn to oil paint real life or trying to create a comic with human characters, you better learn some technique or be ready to produce some god awful works of "art."
:iconxadrea:
Xadrea Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Correction: You dropped out of art school because you're pretentious and a self proclaimed god and couldn't bear for an educated person holding an MFA telling you that to your face.
:iconmythicsonofgod:
MYTHICSONOFGOD Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
completely agreed, great post.
:iconxadrea:
Xadrea Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
:no: It would be best at this point if he deactivates. The only other thing that could happen is a ban since he's been posting threads under the wrong categories for a long time, but I think he knows how to get around that
:iconthestudierofthearts:
Thestudierofthearts Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
you're stuff hurt my eyes
:iconyangyexin:
Yangyexin Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012   Digital Artist
Want to know something? Dropping out of school does not mean you're going to be brave and successful like all those older artists. It means you're stupid and too conceited to listen to anyone else's opinion.
Style is important, but you have to KNOW what it is you're drawing before you decide to make it into your depiction. It's like driving: You know what it is, but you'll never know how to handle the road until you know what the tools are for and why they're there.
:icondannyovt:
dannyovt Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Understanding techniques will help you improve your own style, I just don't understand how you don't see this. Lets take for example watercolors, a very technical medium in the sense that it easy for things to go wrong. Learning techniques in watercolor like creating textures using salt, alcohol, rice, etc. can be used to greatly enhanced your own style. Also learning about wet on wet vs. wet on dry could give your style different flavors. I don't think your style will disappear just because you learned a technique to control the medium and this is mostly what they teach in art school; controlling the medium. Basic art classes focus on you drawing "academically" but that changes in more advance courses.

I would have stayed in school, learn about all mediums and techniques and then bend them to my will -_^.
:iconooninayumeoo:
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I agree with it even if technical bases are necessary before having style.

but isn't it boastfull to say "I dropped out of art school like most great artists because it was draining my style." ? ^^ (i do not intend to be mean saying this)
:iconmystic-serat:
Mystic-Serat Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012   Artist
Style and technique go hand in hand. You need some techniques that can benefit your style and vice-versa. Everyone has their own styles, rules, etc. that they make and break if it will improve their art. I do it if it helps improve with my drawing style. Everyone else already said what I wanted to say, me repeating that is like beating a dead horse.

As far as reading all the posts by the OP and all that, I'm not sure if this be troll, arrogance, stupid, or something else...
:iconyunonglu:
YunongLu Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
Art has no style. Style is what your eyes see. However, experincing is greater than learning. A person to assume they know eveyrthing about art is not rational, but to understnad art is to understand others art. Though you could accuse that a rational thought is irration for how far a rational thought can go to become irrational? Just like the fanatics of artist who view there ideas supprior to others. It is nothing more but a style with no style that people beleive is a style.
:iconerspears:
erspears Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional
I think they're equally important; technical skills inform style. To entirely discount one from the process is just silly.

A lot of people here seem to think technical skill is simply an understanding of human anatomy...that's really only a part of it. Among other things, it's also an understanding of a medium. For example, my earliest inked drawings, both with physical media and digital media, are messy as all hell, but that had more to do with my technique than it did with my style. I didn't know how to handle ink. My handling of physical and digital ink, my technique with it, has improved over the years, and that makes my drawings better. The poor handling of ink, the ultra sloppy and slap-dash quality of my drawings, was never a part of my style, it was a sincere lack of technique and a lack of understanding of my chosen medium.

"I dropped out of art school like most great artists because it was draining my style."

I don't even understand that. The vast majority of the living, working artists I've met, most of them being far from conventional, went to and completed their formal art education, and many of them went on to post-graduate studies, as well. Like you, I dropped out of school (I was at a university studying art) after three years, but not because it was "draining my style", I was partying too much and ran out of money. I loved what school was doing for my style, for my work as a whole. I was making better work (better technically, and better stylistically) by small degrees every day. I still am, but I feel I still need to finish my schooling, and plan on returning as soon as I can to complete my degree.

The way I see it, you don't go to art school to make art, but to learn how to make art. The knowledge, skills and techniques gained in art education are tools used to make art. :shrug:
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Stop sounding so angry and frustrated. It's preventing your discussions from getting any serious replies.
MYTHICSONOFGOD Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No offense but this isn't the first time I see a black person with this attitude.

Not saying is due to skin color. But it sure has some social cause I am sure.
illastrat Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I can name many white people with similar attitudes. That statement comes from you not know too many black individuals which is a sad statement on your part.
MYTHICSONOFGOD Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Indeed. but again that wasn't my point. I said I blame the enviroment period.
What do you mean you blame the environment? Sorry to inform you, I come from an affluent family. I think you are probably a very narrow-minded individual that doesn't know any black people.
It's a psychological theory actually, When I said "I blame the enviroment" is that people's behavior is affected by the environment. I mentioned black people becuase I think that society (the enviroment) does treat them different (but any person regardless of skin color would act the same) hence the reason you feel defensive towards my comment that is not racist at all.

Sorry but seeing at your attitude with others, I have no desire to speak with you further, if you don't understand that I analyzing a social problem and NOT a skin color issue.
You are ig...no....rant. You study law, not psychology. As if we all grew up in ghettos somewhere eating pig feet and smoking crack. Thats like me saying you stink because you are mexican. Like i said, both of my parents are college grads. I dont know what "environment" you are speaking off.
I am studying both. plus Criminal law includes psychology.

I am simply saying that environment affects everyone's behaviour. I had a friend that felt just like you. I like him, but I am worried about him.

I am not assuming anything about you or anyone because as you wisely said It would be a "stereotype". Genetis, choices and evnviroment affect our behaviour.

If I claimed genetics was the cause I would be a racist. But I am saying that the environment may be affecting behavior (a factor inherent to any human).

I am sorry for derailing the thread, If I made wrongful assumptions or if I insulted you. My intention is to understand further, what might be a social issue nothing else.

I propose you that we end this conversation as is derailing the thread.
:iconpringlesaddict99:
pringlesaddict99 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
True, true... Not being racist here
:iconstrangemass:
Strangemass Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
2/10, try harder next time.

Or if you're not trolling; irrelevant and offensive. Why bring this up at all?
you read it wrong I am implying there is a social cause or in other words the enviroment related to inherent racism must be the cuase.

NOT that skin color is the issue nor the cuase.
What? I can't quite parse what you said.

Anyway, it's still all completely irrelevant to the OP's topic.
Is relevant because the op mentioned his skin color as part of his pride and source of his behavior towards another user.

I am simply saying that black people may get harsh treatment on their environment, therefore explaining some defensive behaviors I noticed. Simply as that.

TL:DR I am not being racist.
Well I hadn't read that far back. I was really only concerned with the opening topic. So, uh, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I suppose I was being a little overzealous.
it's alright don't worry I know this issue is a hot issue for everyone :)
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
so what exactly are you trying to say about black people, then??
you read it wrong.

I am implying there is a social cause or in other words the environment related to inherent racism they received must be the cause.

NOT that skin color is the issue nor the cause.
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
well okay, but still. bringing up his race was not necessary. i'm black and it seemed to me like you had some assumptions about black people. so if i'm wrong then good!
Is relevant because the op mentioned his skin color as part of his pride and source of his behavior towards another user he mentioned that "black people were investing on him" among other coments related to skin color.

I am simply saying that black people may get harsh treatment on their environment/life like racism, therefore explaining some defensive behaviors I noticed on him and other people. Simply as that.

I am not blaming skin color but the treatment he might have had received for the defensivenes.

TL:DR I am not being racist.I am just worried on what causes such beahviour I have noticed with many others.
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
okay my mistake, i didn't notice that the OP mentioned his skin color.

although i'm a black person who actually hasn't dealt with any racist treatment, that just hasn't happened in my life. and there are many more like me. i dislike when non-blacks assume that most black people have been dealing with racism in their lives. but some black people do it too, they make it sound like we're all victims, and i dislike that. different black people have had different life experiences.

i'm not sure what any of this has to do with art though, i think this is off topic...
indeed it was just a comment that I didn't intend to deepen on the topic, until people misudnerstood what I meant.

Sorry if I made you feel bad or hurt you.I admit I was wrong in being so vague in my statements.

I am a christian and I believe we are all the same.
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
it's okay ^___^

hey i am one too :hug:
(1 Reply)
:icondigitalisvitae:
DigitalisVitae Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
Oh...you. Is this the last art site that hasn't kicked you out of the community for being a jackass? For someone who 'sells so much', your work is impossible to find...anywhere. And you have an awful lot of time to burn being a whiny troll.
illastrat Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
i sell locally to bums on the street. ima bum artist.
:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
bums dont have $ bro......
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
^this
:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student General Artist
"you need a girlfriend. you dedicate too much time on deviant art."

Hahahaha, that's seriously pathetic, man.
:iconphilliewig:
Philliewig Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
WHORE ALL THE THUMBS!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand two oldies :heart:

illastrat Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I like this one. You should draw more.

Oh my goodness, kind words! O.o
well i do give give credit where its due. Most of your art is very generic but i do like that. It has a pristine look.
It's BEYOND juvenile.
its your best. all your other stuff is shit.
You have horrible taste then.
nah...you just have shitty art
(2 Replies)
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional General Artist
I love love love your oldies with the skull! I love skulls sooo...
I'm glad you do :blush:
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional General Artist
Since this thread has taken a ridiculous time out turn..... Thumb whore time!

Add a Comment: