Closed to new replies
November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

Help? Failed Artist?

:iconsketch-silver:
Sketch-Silver Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've been on DA for about 2 years now. I still only have a hand full of watches. I've entered multiple contests, chatted on the forms and joined some groups. Yet my work still doesn't seem that appealing to watch. I'm told by people around me that my art it really good... but is that the truth?

So my reasons for making this thread are simply to ask why? Or is there something I'm missing all together? Or am I simply a failed artist? Cuz' I'm at the point that I have not a clue anymore...:worry:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkizziesama:
A failed artist is someone who has completely given up, and that certainly doesn't sound like you :shrug: Yes, there is a lot of competition for attention, but don't even bother with the popularity hype on this site. It will make you lose sight of what's important, and make you self-loathing for no reason :lol: Just keep being active and strive to improve what you do :thumbsup:
:iconnarrenzauber:
Narrenzauber Nov 30, 2012
Well, I wouldn't call you a failed artist. I don't know how old you are, but it doesn't really matter. But think about how old you could become. This means you still have a lot of time to practise, which leads me to the next thing: Well, you skill level isn't very high. Please don't think that I want to insult you. I don't mean it this way. But you have asked if your art is bad. I wouldn't call your art itself bad, but your skills are lacking. But you don't need to worry about. I see that you start to think about, that something might have gone wrong. I consider it that you started to open your eyes to your weaknesses. It is a good sign. You take your art seriously and you want to improve.

Have you ever studied the basics? Human anatomy? Light an shadow? Colour theory? Perspective? And other stuff... Did you make studies? Did you practise realism? No matter which style you choose for yourself, realism, the real world, is always the foundation. You need to know how things really look like to stylize them in a convincing way. As long as the viewer is convinced that this what you are showing works, everything is fine. It doesn't mean that it could be possible in reality. ;)

You use different mediums, which is good! Continue to experiment with different styles, techniques and mediums! You will improve because of this!

Oh and your plushies are cute!

And by the way: Here are a lot of really amazing artists, which could blow your mind, but they aren't well known. They don't really advertise themselves or just aren't recognized by the other deviants. Being not popular here doesn't mean anything! So cheer up. Forget about that! Work on your art. This is what you wish to do, isn't it? You enjoy drawing, don't you? I believe this. So cheer up! Ask yourself about your motive for drawing. What kind of goal do you have and start working for this!
:iconsketch-silver:
Sketch-Silver Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Don't worry I don't feel insulted at all. ^.^ I have noticed my work is really lacking but I really had no idea where to start with it. I've studied the basics before but maybe it's time to go back and study them a bit more. I feel like I've strayed a bit from them... T.T

Last but not least thank you for the encouragement ^.^ I'm not really down now, just figuring out how to make everything work in my art.
:iconnarrenzauber:
Narrenzauber Dec 1, 2012
I guess everyone loses his or her way from time to time and have go back to the basics. It's always a good choice! :D Me, for example, I am working on tutorials, which explain the basics. I just started out, but it is a good chance to study the basics again. By trying to explain it to others, I need to understand everything and put the knowledge in easy to comprehend words plus images. It is also a good chance to figure out, what I need to study again and which knowledge is burned into my mind.

You could do something like this yourself. You don't need to make a tutorial, but you could test yourself. What do you know? Could you make a ball out of a circle? Do you know where to place the shadow and how? It's just an example, but if you see that you have trouble with it or aren't sure, than it shows you that you need to study it again. I don't know how else you could figure out on what you should work, except asking others for specific hints. But therefore you need people you can trust and who are telling you the truth. It won't help you if they are rude or trying to be nice.
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Nov 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Many other people had great advice, but I just want to say don't listen to illastrat. If you're over fifteen, you're not a failed artist. Sometimes people start learning art in their 40s or 50s and it looks horrible at first, but they work really hard at it and in a few years it's fantastic. You're a failed artist when you give up, not when you're over a certain age.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Nov 30, 2012  Professional General Artist
I was about to comment the same thing about Illastrat lol.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Popularity is overrated on DA.
If you want it so badly, draw fanart, write yaoi and draw ponies... a lot of them.

/sarcasm
:iconofbugs:
Someone else already said it.. but yea, caring about popularity isn't going to get you anywhere in this site. You can care all you want and cry yourself to sleep about it but at the end of the day what really gets you noticed on here is your ideas. If your ideas are unique then people will naturally swarm to them. You can't force people to look.. cause if they don't see anything special they aren't going to go back to your page or show their friends.

I don't think you are a failed artist at all. I mean, you do need some practice, but your art isn't bad. The more you keep doing your art the better you'll become and just remember to let your imagination always overflow. There has to be some ideas in there that will catch the general publics attention.
:iconillastrat:
illastrat Nov 30, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I am going to be frank. If you are 13, 14, maybe 15 i would say keep pushing. Other than that I would say yes, you are a failed artist. Find something else to pursue or just do it as a hobby.
:icondigitalisvitae:
Caring about popularity on DA is about as useful to your career as sitting in a dark closet with your fingers in your ears.
Add a Comment: