Closed to new replies
November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Traditional Vs Digital

:iconcaitybee:
Caitybee Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I posted a journal entry & forum post recently saying I have 8 slots available (3 for watchers, 5 for random deviants)but I only do traditional work, I'm not very skilled in digital artwork yet and because of that, very few people even give me the time of day to see what kind of potential I really have.

That said, the war of Traditional Vs Digital is forever on-going. I would like to hear people's opinions on this, do you think Traditional art could use a bigger spotlight, or do you think Digital art is the only way to go? (this makes it difficult for artists - like myself - who only do traditional-style work).

Thanks for reading, comment below please! :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Traditional isn't a style, it's a toolset. If you're awesome it doesn't matter what you're working in. There is no versus.
:iconbrushedbyred:
BrushedByRed Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I agree. Yes, digital pieces have a lot of aesthetic appeal. The tools used to create them are limitless, and they can capture colors and textures of any kind (where traditional art is more limited). Not to mention the idea of animation, and the appeal of the smooth, modern look.
But Deviantart does seem more focused towards digital art, which has its own section in the forums, and makes up the majority of art on the site.

As a traditional artist, it is a bit discouraging.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
I don't consider there to be any war between the media used :shrug: Both have their place in the art world, and I don't see either slowing in pace.
:iconsketch-silver:
Sketch-Silver Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
As an artist who uses both does both traditional and digital. I find it depends on the piece I'm working on. What kind of feeling do I want it to have? Traditional pieces (or at least mine) tend to have a more rustic feel while digital is more crisp and clean. Though I can easily say I have far more fun with traditional XD. With blending multiple mediums and just playing to see how it comes out.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
Skills are more important than the medium
:iconismellmusic:
iSmellMusic Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
With digital art there's a lot you can do using computer filters, but some people consider it cheating. I think traditional art is amazing, since I suck at it, so I really respect the people who spend a lot of their time working on a piece, though us digital artists work really hard, too. But, it does take time to get used to drawing digitally. From using a tablet, to finding a program that suits you.
:iconmorebud:
Morebud Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
I think the most successful artists are going to be the ones that work in both traditional and digital mediums. Times change and digital art isn't going way. Both. Totally.
:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
well when it comes to buying stuff. With traditional you have to ship the canvas or painting to someone out of your area, so in general its way more pricey and originals tend to go for more money and your market is more limited to people who are willing to spend money for original traditional work. With digital it can be easily emailed. So the convenience of digital can be more appealing when dealing with people out of state ect. For someone buying it..

Dont worry if your not getting hits to "sell" things....at this point you shouldnt worry about selling stuff but focus more on developing yourself and getting better as an artist. thats when youll be able to really sell stuff and make some money. Till then ..practice.

The art market can be hit and miss sometimes...
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
One of my illustration guest lecturers at university said that the best thing to do as an illustrator is to work traditionally, because illustration is about prints and copies, so you take a great photo of the original and that goes to the client, but since you retain copyright you sell the original as a piece of art to the people willing to pay the money and make twice as much. With digital you don't have a physical copy to sell so you will always be selling a print or a copy.

Having said that I work digital traditional mixed media so I still have nothing physical to sell XD
:iconcreaturenight:
creaturenight Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
it would be best to get some knowledge in digital art.

That being said, I like digital art but I love amazingly drawn or even decently drawn art even more.

Traditional art is the greater style to me.
Add a Comment: