Details

Closed to new replies
November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8
:iconlydia-rawr:
Hello all!
I am a newbie when it comes to polymer clay, and I have experimented with super sculpty before. SS was very hard, but smooth. I have been researching different kinds of clay, and what I would like is one that is smooth,soft, and something I can paint with acrylics. Is Fimo clay a good one? What I'm doing with this clay is making custom manes for ponies. Thanks everyone!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

ALSO. Sculpty III, Is that good?
:iconhowmanydragons:
Sculpey III has nice colors, but if you're going for colored clay, I would recommend Premo instead. Sculpey III is rather brittle, whereas cured Premo has a bit of flexibility, leading to less breakage. I use Premo for just about all of my clay work - it takes acrylic paints just fine! If anything, Premo tends to run too soft rather than too hard (leaching out some of the clay softener by placing rolled sheets of clay between two sheets of paper for a few hours helps a lot).
Thanks you so much, that tip really helped me. (I bought some Scupley 3 yesterday, and that leeching reaallllly helped) Thanks!
:iconhowmanydragons:
Best of luck in your claying endeavors! :D
Thank you so much!
:iconmattcombsart:
When you tried the super sculpty was it grey in color or pink? The grey sculpty is the hardest one and is hard to knead. The pink is a lot more pliable. If you also use the sculpty clay softener with it. It will make it really soft, and smooth, easier to spread and form. Really soft compared to it by itself..I like to sculpt with the pink super sculpty, then with a brush and the scuplty softener, ill be able to smooth it out with it instead of having to go back with a tool to smooth it. The sculpty softener is a great thing to use with the clays.

When you bake the clays. It will dry hard and you can then paint over it with any type of paints. When baked the hold up for awhile, but cracks can happen on weak joints or thinner spots. It isnt indestructible.

for clays that you can bake i find the pink super sculpty nice to work with. And the Softener is a nice with it.

you can also make molds of things you sculpt. Then you can reproduce your sculpts easily. They have different materials you can cast them with. Latex..plastic...concrete...ect. Look into that also if thats something you can do in the future..I want to make molds of faces, and make latex masks out of it. But the materials are very pricey..one day ill get to it :)
My father uses SS (pink) for molds/casts. Thank you for your input!
:icondeep-fried-love:
Deep-Fried-Love Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think the best polymer clay you can buy is sculptrey pro
Add a Comment: