November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 16

Knitting with fur strips

:icontoyskunk:
ToySkunk Nov 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
I am really not sure of the best place to ask this. :crying:
I want to do some samples of knitting using fur. However, I can't ask my knitwear tutor at uni for help because she is anti-fur... :doh: I also know that knitting with fur is not done in the same way as knitting with wool, so I am sure most knitters might not know the technique.

The only instruction I have so far been able to find on knitting with fur is this Youtube video: [link]
A grid of some kind is used and the strips of fur threaded through it. Does anyone who does weaving or knitting or something like that know what this type of grid is, and where to buy or how to make such a thing? Can anyone think of any methods to make the final product less stiff (that grid looks stiff to me).

This is the kind of result you can get with knitting fur (mink) [link]
Here is some rabbit: [link]

I don't think knitting with needles will work because the strips of fur would get twisted and you'd be able to see the leather side, and besides, the strips of fur would be too short and have to be attached together at the ends, which would look untidy. :(

Anyone crafty have any ideas? Or any suggestions on a good place to ask this question? :giggle:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongemando:
I have no idea how you'd do it, but those hoodies look so cosy!! I feel like I'd have PETA jumping on my ass if I wore them though :(
:iconwhitefoxdk:
WhiteFoxDK Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It's what Glori305 said, using latchwork fabric and a large needle.
:iconwhitefoxdk:
WhiteFoxDK Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Based on the video, I think she's actually pulling one strip through the end of another in order to connect them. Like this: [link]

:iconseri-goyle:
I didn't know you could knit with leather strips, but I thought rabbit fur was technically wool, at least angora rabbit fur.
Angora is plucked from the rabbit, and so is wool, I think - but for a rabbit fur coat or something like that, the rabbit is skinned
:iconglori305:
What they are doing in the you tube video is not knitting, they are taking a needlepoint fabric, and sewing the fur thru it.

Would be pretty easy to do, probably much easier than to actually knit fur, but I am really not sure why they are calling it knitting, they are using a large yarn needle to run the fur thru the grid. You can get needlepoint fabric by the yard at most good craft stores.
Ah okay, thanks! I will try both methods and see what happens. :D Thank you so much. I wasn't sure what the grid was that the were threading through, I couldn't think of the name for it. But now I know. :D
having thought about it for a while I think it is latchhook fabric, the squares are bigger than needlepoint fabric.
Ah! Thanks! I'll have a look for that. I was looking at needle work fabrics online and worrying that the squares were small. Thank you!
No worries, been doing needlework and fabric stuff for a while, and never tried this....but I think the cost of supplies for an entire coat might be prohibitive, even rabit get's expensive with that amount.

BTW if you are doing this, I would not suggest the spiral cut, I would suggest cutting in strips so the fur lies all in one direction, and then I would just stitch the 2 strips together where they meet with a few stitch of regular sewing thread, the end product will look much nicer if all the fur is pointing in the same direction.
Add a Comment: