Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Effects in Inkscape, Illustrator etc..?

:iconannlix:
Annlix Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a question..
I'm working on an essay for school, and one of the questions I am to answer is why it is "difficult" to use effects in programs such as inkscape and illustrator. Also what to think about if you would use effects in a logotype, that might be used in different vectorprograms (is that what they're called...? :P )

I have very little experience in both, but as far as I understand the effects, like gradients, might not show up if you first use inkscape and then illustrator or the other way around.
Why? Is my question and what does one have to do to "fix" it, without converting the object to a bitmap?

I'm sorry if I'm not making myself very clear. I find it difficult to explain my question in english when I barely understand it in my own language...

All help is appreciated since google has failed me :(

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconegypturnash:
egypturnash Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Illustrator and Inkscape save to different formats, and they have different capabilities.

Your language problems make a decent metaphor for this problem. You know how there are some words in some languages that have no direct equivalent in other languages? It's like that with different vector formats, except there are a lot more unique words.
:iconelectrifried:
electrifried Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
If you use too many effects on a vector it may be harder to transfer to other programs easily unless it's flattened as a raster image. I don't usually like using effects like filters etc. in Illustrator because it bogs the file down. If you use a heap of effects it basically means a whole lot of things for the program to render. This becomes harder when you have more complex shapes with a lot of points.

If you're using effects in a logo it can become problematic because the logo may not render the same on other computers/versions of the program. So you would have to convert the vector to a raster or expand it. Generally logos don't contain many effects, if at all... but I know many use gradients. But that's the company's prerogative XD

Hope that helped :)
It brings more clarity to my problem at least!
I should try to translate the question the teacher wants answered.. "How should you do if you want a logotype to be uesable in other programs, when using a gradient, since the path contains more than one colours? Without converting it to a bitmap".

Would that mean saving it as a SVG since most programs supports that file format, as Brownez-Koekoez said? Would that save all the information about the object, and its paths and effects?

Or am I just setting myself to a more confusing path right now? :P

Also, sorry for so many questions, but stupid needs to know! :P Thanks for helping out though! :)
electrifried Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
If you're using a gradient or other effects I'd probably save it as an EPS file as that would give you more flexibility to open/edit it it in other programs as well as Illustrator. No problem!
So EPS works for both vectorobjects and bitmaps?
electrifried Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
No EPS format just saves the vector along with the effects; it's not a bitmap. It is usually used so other vector programs can open the file (like when you want to send a vector to a printer).
Annlix Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Humm.. That means my teacher has been a tricky, tricky man... :P
He said something about all the colours ending up in one and the same path when using a gradient and that this could be problematic.. But it shouldn't, if the effects can be saved, right? o_O
electrifried Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
I just googled the issue and I think this site might help:
[link]

I don't have much experience with Inkscape but it looks like it's harder to save effects onto an EPS file as its native format is SVG. I guess what your teacher means is if you want to open a file in a different program you can sometimes get unexpected results.
Annlix Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Exactly, but he aslo wants to know what one can do to prevent it. :S

I use Inkscape at home, but at school we have used Illustrator (like once or twice..) And I recall that he did SOMETHING to a gradient which made lots of paths, for each colour, instead of it being just one path for the whole gradient. Could this be what one have to do, to make it work in "all" programs? :O_o:
(1 Reply)
:iconbrownez-koekoez:
Brownez-Koekoez Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I heard some people will save their vector file into SVG format, coz it is supported by more vector programs.
Add a Comment: