Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

A little "handsy", if I may...

:iconmeraliia:
Meraliia Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I am horrible* at drawing hands... I just can not seem to get them right.
Does anyone have a very good reference picture, or something else that could help me improve?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmeraliia:
Meraliia Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thank you everyone for the links, comments, and advice! I read everything you all had to say, saved the references, and it's helped me a lot <3_<3 I hope to have my next sketch up soon, after I finish the hands >.<
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
You have two excellent life-drawing references of your very own. You can find them attached to the end of each arm.
:icondeathbyshovel:
DeathByShovel Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Try drawing your own hands, or get someone else to be a hand model for you. That is what I did. :D Though I could not draw my right hand because that is the hand I draw with.

[link] <--- This is also quite useful.
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hi,

There's really no good substitute for hundreds of hours of practice. that's how most people improve!

Look at your hand, draw your hand evaluate the good and the bad parts of the drawing. repeat...
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
draw your own hands for practice.
That's what I do.
Since I'm not good at drawing hands.

What I do is take photo shots of hand positions (get someone to take the photos if I have to use both hands)
then I draw from the photo
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
[link] is fairly good. The important thing to take away from that is breaking down hands into basic shapes. I find a cube works better than that flat cylinder, but that's just personal preference. Also, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. You can use lovecastle [link] and set it to show you photos of hands on a fixed time interval. I'd recommend only 30-60 seconds at first so you learn how to draw the basic shapes of hands, then you can start to increase it when you feel comfortable getting into more detail.

I notice all of your characters in your gallery suspiciously have their hands missing. Draw them! They'll look horrible at first, but you'll never get better at drawing them if you're always finding ways to avoid them.

Also, for some reason a lot of artists (myself included) forget they only need one hand to draw. Conveniently this allows you to use your other hand as a model. Give it a shot!
Add a Comment: