Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Art Internships??

:iconcreativegirl91:
Creativegirl91 Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm wondering if anybody knows of any website that I can go to for a list of art internships in my state (N.C.). I think it would be really cool if I could get an art internship during the summer so that it will give me something to do besides work. I know I could just Google art internships and get some answers but I would like to know from anyone here first if there are any websites that could help me find an internship before I go to Google.

Thanks,

Creativegirl91 :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbustermaximus:
Your best bet would be to find local and regional arts organizations. There's the NC Arts Council website to get you started. Check out the "Resources" dropdown menu, specifically "Resources for Artists" and "Artist Opportunities". Also, do a Google search for something more localized, like putting in your county name or the name of the nearest large community, plus "arts" (for example "Charlotte arts" or "Raleigh arts".) It may not get you exactly what you're looking for, but it will at least help you find a direction to go to get into the arts community where you are. Becoming part of the community where you live is definitely going to get you closer to the type of mentorship you seek. Also, I'm sure there are classes you could take at a local community college. You'd be surprised at how much that sort of thing would open up arts opportunities for you.
Creativegirl91 Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well thank you very much for your help. I will take a look at the website you suggested and see what I can find. :D
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Nov 26, 2012
Try craigslist
Can't craigslist be a little sketchy though?
Black-Allison Nov 27, 2012
Yep. Be safe.
Thanks I will think about craigslist. :D
Black-Allison Nov 27, 2012
Also, a little wild card, but you can write your favourite artists and studio big gushing fan letters and attach some of your art and ask them if they don't mind tell you what they think of your work. Sometimes they might think you're doing pretty well and call you in to help them do some prep work or something.
Yeah that would probably work too. :D
:iconwilwhalen:
WilWhalen Nov 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I didn't know that was really even a thing anymore. I only know one person who did an art internship, and it was more of a mentorship with a friend/colleague than a randomly solicited thing. If you have any local artists that you'd like to learn from just send them an email asking if there's anything you can do for them in exchange for hanging around their studio and seeing how they work.

But then, I guess I don't really know what you mean by internship. Like, generally an intern is just someone who does unpaid grunt work in exchange for a line on their resume, which isn't really very helpful in the fine arts world. Do you mean something more like an apprenticeship, where you would be taught and work alongside them in their studios?
Apprenticeship that's it sorry I always tend to get the two confused. Yes apprenticeship would be awesome if it is even done anymore. I just want to be able to expand more on my techniques and have some fun this summer doing something different than just working. :)
Add a Comment: