Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Perspective - Vanishing Point Question

:iconmas-umi:
Mas-umi Nov 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
When it comes to drawing environments, perspective is a very important thing. But I have been kinda confused about when it comes to the vanishing point and where to place it. If you look down a tunnel, it's obvious that the orthogonals go in toward the center if the tunnel, thus the center the tunnel is the vanishing point. But what if you are looking down at a giant valley filled with trees. Where is the vanishing point (I know you wouldn't be able to answer that without a picture.) I tend to have trouble finding the vanishing point when there is no obvious orthogonals. Can anyone help me with this. (If I'm making sense)

Also is there any place I can learn more about this kind of stuff?
Thanks

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmattcombsart:
with the vanishing point..it can be placed anywhere on the horizon line....IF you draw the horizon line lower on the paper..it will give you the perspective that your looking down on it....if you place the horizon line towards the top of the paper...it will give you the perspective of looking up at something...Then depending if you want the vanishing point. in the center, or left or right. Its really up to you where its placed

heres some tutorials for 1 point perspective. Learn and understand 1pt then move onto 2pt then 3pt ....heres a 1pt demo of doing an interior..[link] a 2pt one for exteriors...[link]
Mas-umi Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Thanks you, those tutorials are really helping me!
:iconmattcombsart:
cool! just look for more on the interwebs...theirs a ton.

Keep at it and have fun!
:icontiereight:
tierEight Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
From Wikipedia

Zero-point perspective
Because vanishing points exist only when parallel lines are present in the scene, a perspective with no vanishing points ("zero-point" perspective) occurs if the viewer is observing a non-rectilinear scene.
The most common example of a nonlinear scene is a natural scene (e.g., a mountain range) which frequently does not contain any parallel lines.
A perspective without vanishing points can still create a sense of depth, as is clearly apparent in a photograph of a mountain range (more distant mountains have smaller-scale features).

You can use all three perspective views in environments.
Thank you so much, this answers my question. I was always trying to make Zero-Point Backgrounds using One-Point Perspective.
:iconcharlottexxi:
CharlotteXXI Nov 26, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Sounds like you're talking about 3 point perspectives. You just have to use your eyes and find out the 3rd vanishing point yourself.

Relevant reference: [link]
Actually I was talking about Zero-Point perspective, but this answers another one of my questions. Thanks a ton!
Add a Comment: