Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Wooden pencils vs. drawing pens vs. ballpoint pens vs. mechanical pencils. Read Description.

:iconsigmaeleven:
SigmaEleven Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Wooden pencils vs. drawing pens vs. ballpoint pens vs. mechanical pencils, Which do you use for your initial sketches? A question for you all, artists. For all these times of becoming as a developing artist I have seen people using these for sketching. I'd personally prefer a mechanical pencil though, It will never get blunt and it has many variety of thickness. Also, non-photo leads in a 0.7 pilot pencil never disappoints me. Although this pencil will not blunt, stupidity ensues when the last of my lead get used up and I have don't a spare to keep up for my drawing. Cheap leads don't work for me either, I only draw with zebra, uni, and pilot leads. And the lead markings(drawings) shine when the light's in the wrong position. It annoyed me but it does its job well as a pencil! Then the drawing pens. Drawing pens are great, they the roughness of the pencil and the darkness of the ink. It sucks when you press in an area too long, it will leak. Ballpoint pens, I'd say they are only good for writing. Wooden pencils, this one is also a tough contender with the mechanical pencil. Wooden pencils are great, they are light, cheap, produces very strong lines, and has a wide variety of lead boldness. Which is the other way around when you talk about the mechanical pencil. The mechanical has very small selection of lead boldness, quite expensive and heavy. But the wooden pencil blunts. And I hate that. I really don't want to waste my time going to the trashcan and sharpen my pencil back again (I like my pencil sharp because I draw linearts, not initial sketches like painters do before they work on a piece). So then it concludes my opinions about each of these instruments for your sketching. If you have any questions about my opinion, just ask away.

I'd really like to hear each of your opinions are, and please tell the reason why!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconinrydanmaku:
InryDanmaku Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Not that I'm implying that a mechanical pencil is for non professionals, but almoast every professional I see uses a normal pencil. I actually never use a mechenical pencil but I'll try it out these days cause I can really see the pro's.
SigmaEleven Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Most mangakas I've seen sketch with mechanical pencils.
Try drafting mechanical pencil for sketching. The 4mm
lead sleeve is perfect for ruling out lines etc. Pilot
H-325 is a good choice, but its quite weighty for some.
:iconpauscorpi:
pauscorpi Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
I really use anything depending on my mood - sometimes I want the beautiful variety of wooden pencils in the entire range from harsh to soft leads. Others, I want to be very focused and astart off right with pens. However, unless I sepcifically want to practice with a certain pen/pencil to get used to it better, I sketch with anything that is around.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I really think you should be more focused on improving your work rather than worrying about trivial details like what kind of pencil you use. the pencil is not the bottleneck for you right now.

also, write in paragraphs next time :meow:
SigmaEleven Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I'm not a native speaker to english, so forgive me :icontearplz:
I'm not worrying about what kinds of tools you use, I just wanted to hear what are your opinions about your preference.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
you don't need to be a native speaker to use paragraphs. I learned how to do paragraphs when I was six - I'm sure you can figure it out :p
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student General Artist
Wooden pencils vs. drawing pens vs. ballpoint pens vs. mechanical pencils

Ok break down what I believe and what I use. I do use all of the above.

Wooden pencils can be used because they are good for every line weight possible then the mechanical pencil. Mechanical pencils you probably have to feather your lines to get thicker ones or as in layer on top of your previous line. But Mechanical pencils are also very thin lines, and so thats a nice feature, and its also doesn't have to be sharpened. Certain people like a messy board with pencil shaving all over. Although if you like nice thin lines with a thickness to it, you can sharpen your mechanical pencil even finer (like rubbing it on the side) and then using that really tiny point to get it sharp.

Although for some sketching its ok, but both pencils are just about the same idea as if you want to draw with a pencil. Both will smear if they are not sprayed. So ideally if you were to use pencils that have graphite in them, I wouldn't recommend those in sketchbooks. They smear like crazy, and its also that you can't draw on the other side of the page.

If you want good pencils, it would be probably better to use blue or black pencil, or spray fix you sketchbook. Which at this point, spraying your sketch book sounds a bit silly for a rough drawing.

But for like drawing, sure. It all really depends which medium your using afterwards. If its just pencil, then there isn't any worry. If its charcoal, that isn't a good idea. If its paint, at first it might show through and smear a bit, but then eventiually it won't show as much. If its like gouche, pen and other mediums are better.

Well pen, I love ball point pen, since it can be feathered and stuff. Pens just help you bring up confidence a bit more, because when you make a mistake you will know it. I just feel ball points act like pencils. The slight disadvantage though, is that its just feathering, which you can't get a darkness like out of the pen does. Sometimes it cloggs and smears on the other page but not as bad as a pencil. They also tend to fade alot more. I tend to use these for sketches instead of pencil. It even goes well with gouche and some ink drawings.

For the mistake and you know it pen, its ink pens. They build up confidence and really shows that you have to know mistakes anyway to get through. Cons, none that I can think of, only if you buy a pen that bleeds like crazy,doesn't dry as well, that fades over time, or also doesn't suit water mediums well.

Mostly its just preference, and depends on what medium your using, paper, etc.
SigmaEleven Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
FYI, about the sharpening the mechanical pencil by rubbing it by
the side, a 0.3 pencil can easily produce thin lines consistently,
unfortunately it has a tendency to break when applied too much stress.

A 0.5 Uni-Ball Kuru toga is perfect for this job.
This pencil rotates its lead as you write,
so you get consistent, thin line as a result.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student General Artist
Yes though, that doesn't mean you can't sharpen it still. There are thin and thick leds and I knew about that. Maybe i wasn't clear on that. And also when you draw, your not suppose to apply too much stress anyway. If you want a dark line, go a darker value, or layer it.

I never knew these existed. Though from experience of buying mechanicals pencils at a store, they are more expensive to buy. There is a store in japan town in my area, that sells alot of stationary supplies, and one is mechanical pencils. All kinds, that can cost upto $15 or $20.
SigmaEleven Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Digital Artist
that's kinda expensive for a pencil. The most expensive that I can find here is just $7.
Add a Comment: