Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 61

Character Inspirations?

:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Is it necessarily a bad thing to slightly have your character based off of someone else's character? Like for example, basing a character's like say, dress off of another character from a TV show or video game with slight alterations and accessories.(Like changing the color and designs on the dress)

I know it's a stupid question, but I was just wondering. I just wanted to know what would be the difference between a character that is a rip off, and a character that was inspired off of another character.

This is on the topic of character designs, not necessarily literature characters.

Thanks in advance!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbagam:
Bagam Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think that you shouldn't simply recolour someone's character and call it your own, that's bad.
But you can take certain features from several characters and combine them to make your own.
That's how I came up with most of the characters I drew.
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student General Artist
Yeah. I stopped recoloring a long time ago. Lol. I didn't even know what recoloring was when I was doing it. :laughing:

That's exactly what I do now a days, haha! :XD:

Thanks! :D
:iconrizhnir:
Rizhnir Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
As others said, it's okay to an extent I think. If it's just a recolor of another character, then I don't think that's a great idea.

When looking for inspiration, those more famous artists usually draw on the personalities and features of the people they know in real life, or adapt some (not all) qualities they like in another established character. I think that's the way to go. :D
Don't worry. I know not to do that. :XD: I've been creating original characters since I was in elementary school you know. ;)

Lol. I actually did make some characters based off of people I know in real life. Unfortunately one person found out so I had to recolor that one character in order to not get in trouble, lol. Ironic, huh?
:iconeverfae:
everfae Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Show me your character? :D
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student General Artist
You know... the one with the crazy lightning wings, the green coat, and looks all happy and junk? (I.E. my newest pic)
:iconribbedebie:
Ribbedebie Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Inspired by something is fine, as long as it isn't blatant copying.

I have a bunch of characters from the same story that are all inspired by already-existing characters I really like, but they are different enough to not be copies.~
:iconultralithematic:
UltraLiThematic Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
What happened to your profile page????
Ribbedebie Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Wha? It never changed?
:iconultralithematic:
UltraLiThematic Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh gosh. Nevermind, malware was redirecting me from your page to some shop site. :I
Ribbedebie Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh, okay. Sorry to hear!
Ah... very interesting.

I remember looking at your gallery a couple of times, lol. Your stuff is great! :XD:
Ribbedebie Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hehe, aww, thank you! :aww:
Welcome! :D
:iconjabujabule:
JabuJabule Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
One of my Animal Crossing OC's have Wind Waker Link's hairstyle, with a backwards cap. You can't really tell sometimes, but I didn't even realize I did it for awhile.
Haha! But it wasn't intentional, now was it?
:iconjabujabule:
JabuJabule Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Nope! But it fits him quite well. :D
Haha! That's good! :D
:iconjarringx:
jarringx Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student General Artist
it kind of reminds me of going through 3 years of mental liquidation while i was quitting sneering
and then coming across a picture of anubis afterwards and seeing that his picture symbolized the 3 years i went through
"he who sits upon his mountain which underscores the importance for the protection of the dead"
[link]
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
It's normal to be inspired by other people's work but it's also pretty lame if you do it too much. It's like... I've already seen the design before. Do I really need to see it twice? Three times? 20 times? And by the time I see the 10th Aragorn clone I'm no longer thinking "cool character", I am thinking "can't any of you people steal stuff from someplace other than pop culture?"

I really like it when people go the extra creative mile and play with ideas. You can tell when someone has put the effort in to be original and I appreciate that.
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student General Artist
Yeah... I agree with you there. It can be a little well... boring sometimes to copy everyone else. Ha-ha.

:iconjellybean9000:
Jellybean9000 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, I'm gonna go with ~LaEmperatrizMariana's opinion on this one. As long as it isn't a recolor, it's okay.

Now that you mention it, I had an OC who, although was more original, was halfway inspired by Jude Maverick from Wild Arms 4. :XD:
Ah... that's weird. :XD:

:iconjellybean9000:
Jellybean9000 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
No problem! :)
:iconsaelie:
Saelie Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist
Hi! *Saelicity here! (until I can get my account back)
This is the response I had typed up, sorry if it's a little ranty:

Oh yes I just had a discussion on this matter. So I'm going to pull snippets from there and put it together in this response ♥
There's always the "nothing is truly original argument", but this is my response to that:
"Perhaps original would mean something you created, without the knowledge of it being extremely similar to another character, and without using major traits from another character for yours, or basing it off another character, knowingly, period. Because if I didn't know who Sonic the Hedgehog was and created a blue hedgehog who ran fast and had red shoes on, it would surely still be original in my eyes."
If you take a concept and use the same name, accepted personality, and appearance then you cross over the realm of Fan Character to Carbon Copy.
A carbon copy is a character that is based on another character with very little changed about them, and that's no good. I agree that you can take a concept, such as a young girl with digital abilities, and add your own thing to her, that she can still be original. Make her have an outgoing and happy personality, with a love for cake and sweets. She's a bit clumsy, but does her best to protect her friends. Her name is Artemis (just pulled a name from an abandoned character of mine).
Despite using the "Young girl with digital abilities" archetype, she's nothing like Kanade from Angel Beats. Hopefully above character doesn't use the same picture or appearance, but even if she did, Art's personality is so different from Kanade that it wouldn't be considered a complete carbon copy. (Though a simple appearance change will fix this!)

Inspiration is a tricky thing. When you use inspiration in your characters from an outside source, it really depends on how much you take from that.
In an example... Take Hatsune Miku's sleeves. As long as you don't rip off the whole outfit and change the sleeves around, I don't see a problem with it.
And your character, [link] , has wings inspired by Flandre Scarlet ([link]), right? Well, they don't look too close enough to Flandre's wings to be a "rip off" or a bad thing at all.

I have a friend who recolours pictures on another site, but she uses characters she knows nothing about as a base, and changes them up enough that when I draw them they're unrecognisable from the recolour.
Ahh... very well put out. I like it!

This really helped though, lol. Thanks a lot! :D
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
As long as it's not a recolored copy then it's okay.

I base some of mine off of shows but eventually they get a redesign and look nothing like where I based them off of. :shrug:
Good.

That's what happened to me a couple of times, ha-ha!
I try my best not to tell people where I got my inspiration from. :shifty:

Most of the time my version is way different anyway.
Yeah... :shifty:

Lucky you. :stare:
Not really because they're not made from scratch. The best ones are the ones you rip off from your own dreams. :paranoid:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student General Artist
I agree with you there.... the problem is, I kinda forget what some of the stuff in my dream looked like so...
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Learn to remember them better. =p
Fine. =P
:iconfisherella:
Fisherella Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional General Artist
I do it all the time. I even have many pieces of clothing and jewelry I have made based off of those in movies. If it's so obvious, people pick up on it then it might be more towards rip-off. If it's like an inside joke between you and your muse, just run with it.
Ah. Okay. Thanks!
:iconpictureonprogress:
PictureOnProgress Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Did I make you feel confused? o_o
But answering your question...
Like :iconrovanna: said, if it's a recolour, it could be bad :iconwthewwplz:
The only character of mine that had inspiration from others is:
Ninteen (Mostly the whole "blonde-pinky" thing, nearly everyone uses it :XD:) I at least fixed that with the latest outfit I gave her:la: So it wouldn't look generic.

While Xesirl wasn't inspired by anyone, her horns kinda look like Bowser's :I It was unintentional though
Blinaqe's original design was going to make me think she looked like Pucca:B (black pigtails, grey ponytail)
Fitorgo was kinda sorta based upon Luffy when he was going to have a boxing match with a pirate named Foxy. But then again, I didn't directly base myself over that
Kindas. v.v

*recolors*
Is it good now? :iconhurrplz:

Well... her general shape is unique, which makes her unique character design wise. =P So she stands out from generic blondes.

Not really... IMO.
Ohhh...
Wait... you watch One Piece? :O
PictureOnProgress Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's like how you made me create a thread:XD:

:iconnomemeplz: Give it moar uniqueness.

My style! Of course:la: I haven't seen anything that uses the style I do:B Good point there.

Perhaps you're right... Maybe Xesirl's horns don't resemble anyone's, nor her smile.

And that is the reason why I gave her grey pigtails, black ponytail and eye color! She's the only one to have eye color!

I used to :I I once got lost, and it was too late to catch up, so I stopped watching it. I still keep some One Piece stuff as a memo:dummy:
Lol I'm so bad.

Make me. D=

Yeah I'm cool alright. 8-)

I might be...

Interesting.

Oh wow... :XD:
PictureOnProgress Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
And if I made you create this thread, so am I:la:

:iconthrowplz: Do it!

Careful with the ego there:B

But there's something I know about Xesirl for sure:
Her true power -> UFaA

Which also translates in her eyes glowing:D

I did get to watch like 500 episodes
Let's be bad together! :la:

Nawww...
What?

Makes sense.

My lord...
PictureOnProgress Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What for?:dummy:

I said do it!:iconsuperpokeplz:

UFaA = Unsuitable For all Ages

If her eyes ever glow red...Worry

It took me 2 years to watch that many episodes x_x
Stuff.

No. Make me. :iconsnobplz:
Oh. What kind of rating is that? Lol.

*Doesn't worry*

My gosh. D:
(1 Reply)
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012   Digital Artist
Depends what you want to do with them. If it's just for fun, then you can do whatever.

I think that if you did take another character's costume and recoloured it, then people will recognise it and might say you stole the design. Like if you used Disney Snow White's dress, but made it blue and pink instead and give her a hat, I would consider that a rip off. But if you designed your character a dress with similar style sleeves or something, then it would be fine.
It's not necessarily for fun, but fun is part of it.

Oh... recolors... yeah. Not a fan of those. I try to avoid those as much as possible. If anything, I at least base the design off of the dress or something. Does that sound more legitimate? :D

Thanks btw.
Sounds fine to me. :D I often base my character's clothes off real clothes I see in shops, or on TV, or I google clothes and mix and match references. I'm not a fashion designer, so it's perfectly legit to look at other clothing designs.
Heh... well then that settles it!

The character that I'm talking about is basically a fairy of some sort, with wings inspired, but not exactly ripped off of another character. I also made her resemble another character, but I altered her outfit a little bit by giving her a jacket, a skirt, different shoes, and other stuff I changed such as the facial features, eyes and uhhh.... skin color I guess.

It's hard to explain, but now that I think about it, it's not too much of a rip-off.
I'm curious, can you show me? Your character and the other one?
Oh... okay. I shall note you then just in case if I seem like I'm self-advertising. v.v
Add a Comment: