Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 61

Character Inspirations?

:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Is it necessarily a bad thing to slightly have your character based off of someone else's character? Like for example, basing a character's like say, dress off of another character from a TV show or video game with slight alterations and accessories.(Like changing the color and designs on the dress)

I know it's a stupid question, but I was just wondering. I just wanted to know what would be the difference between a character that is a rip off, and a character that was inspired off of another character.

This is on the topic of character designs, not necessarily literature characters.

Thanks in advance!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbagam:
Bagam Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think that you shouldn't simply recolour someone's character and call it your own, that's bad.
But you can take certain features from several characters and combine them to make your own.
That's how I came up with most of the characters I drew.
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student General Artist
Yeah. I stopped recoloring a long time ago. Lol. I didn't even know what recoloring was when I was doing it. :laughing:

That's exactly what I do now a days, haha! :XD:

Thanks! :D
:iconrizhnir:
Rizhnir Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
As others said, it's okay to an extent I think. If it's just a recolor of another character, then I don't think that's a great idea.

When looking for inspiration, those more famous artists usually draw on the personalities and features of the people they know in real life, or adapt some (not all) qualities they like in another established character. I think that's the way to go. :D
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student General Artist
Don't worry. I know not to do that. :XD: I've been creating original characters since I was in elementary school you know. ;)

Lol. I actually did make some characters based off of people I know in real life. Unfortunately one person found out so I had to recolor that one character in order to not get in trouble, lol. Ironic, huh?
:iconeverfae:
everfae Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Show me your character? :D
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student General Artist
You know... the one with the crazy lightning wings, the green coat, and looks all happy and junk? (I.E. my newest pic)
:iconribbedebie:
Ribbedebie Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Inspired by something is fine, as long as it isn't blatant copying.

I have a bunch of characters from the same story that are all inspired by already-existing characters I really like, but they are different enough to not be copies.~
:iconultralithematic:
UltraLiThematic Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
What happened to your profile page????
:iconribbedebie:
Ribbedebie Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Wha? It never changed?
:iconultralithematic:
UltraLiThematic Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh gosh. Nevermind, malware was redirecting me from your page to some shop site. :I
Add a Comment: