Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7
:iconlionart1:
I just downloaded GIMP 2.6 and I am just so confused. There's so many options and when I turned to see if Photoshop was easier I couldn't find a free version of it. Please help.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconphilipjamesevans:
philipjamesevans Nov 29, 2012
May vun day u vill be ze gimp.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Nov 26, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
I do NOT like gimp. Not because of the interface, I don't like the way it interprets movement on a tablet. Really, the best I can do to explain that is to say that Photoshop feels like working on paper with whatever tool you chose as a brush, Gimp is always like drawing on coated paper with a permanent marker. It feels really slick to me, and I dislike all of the default brushes. Though you can download brushes and addons and stuff to make it, I don't know if it's better but it would be different. I've never really bothered with it, I love photoshop.

Photoshop is not free, but you can download a trial.

But if you find gimp confusing, photoshop will be way worse. It's got lots of capability, but you're going to have to either play or read a lot to get good at using it.

I find Muro- the dA art program- to be superior to gimp in many ways- the only thing I dislike is that you can't put layers UNDER an existing one. Which is really just a matter of a little planning before you start to work.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Nov 25, 2012  Professional General Artist
like someone else suggested, go read a GIMP for beginners, tutorial (or youtube it) the GIMP website has a few.

This will explain what each button does and how to use it, once you have those in your head it's up to you to actually be creative.

It's like a pencil, you can know what it is, what's it's made of, and how to make a mark with it, but it won't make a drawing by itself.
:iconladyander:
LadyAnder Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Photoshop isn't free. You can get a trial version like other people have said. It's very expensive though.
Photoshop like GIMP, is just as difficult to learn if you haven't touched anything more than MS Paint. You do the exact same things in GIMP as you do in Photoshop. There are differences on how you go about them but its the same thing. You will have to learn how to use those types of programs. It isn't going to be easy and may take some time. My only suggestion is try to find as many tutorials you can on how to GIMP. You will be doing the exact same thing if you use Photoshop. I use both and once you know what to do in one, you can mimic it in another.
:iconrizhnir:
GIMP is very confusing. At first I liked MS Paint better than GIMP. But once you learn how to use it, GIMP is very powerful.

I recommend going on Youtube to find videos that teach you specific things you want to know. Thats the way I figured some of it out. The rest is pressing buttons and seeing what happens. xD
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
GIMP has one hell of a learning curve. It's going to take a while to master.

Photoshop is considerably easier to grasp, but as noted, it is not free. You can get a trial version, but that will only last for a month, and then in order to get another trial you'll have to either get it on another computer or reinstall your OS on the one you're using now.

Believe me, though, GIMP can do almost anything Photoshop can. You just have to know what you're doing. And maybe have some patience, because GIMP is relatively laggy even on computers built for huge art projects.

My knowledge of GIMP comes purely from personal experience (been working with the program off-and-on for about five years now), but I'm sure there are plenty of useful tutorials you can find even right here on dA.
:iconco-phantom:
Co-Phantom Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Not even the trial version of Photoshop? :o
Add a Comment: