Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

what makes a piece of art interesting?

:icontoshi13go:
toshi13go Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
What makes a piece of art interesting or cool? i have some ideas why but i wanted to see what you think as well. o.O

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012   Digital Artist
I think if it makes you feel something. I don't mean is has to be superemotionalfullofsadfeels, I mean like it conveys an emotion, or it seems to have a story behind it or it's just so pretty it makes you go, :iconadorableplz:
haha, cool! that makes sense!thanks!:nod:
:iconjerseycajun:
jerseycajun Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
For me, the best pieces evoke a combination of technical and dynamic proficiency, as well as conveying a 'moment'. Art that 'talks' and communicates effectively is what I tend to enjoy most.
awesome!:thumbsup:
:iconjerseycajun:
jerseycajun Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
There are different kinds of interest. There have been films (another branch of art) which I have found an interest in the way it was shot (cinematography) but the story it was telling (the artist's message which he or she tries to communicate using the visual language) was flat.

Similarly, there are different ways to find art interesting. On a technical level, it can generate lots of interest by using technique to draw the eye towards different parts of the image as you are led across the canvas, keeping the viewer's gaze from becoming stagnant. Use of light and dark, warm and cool, shape, line, etc.

Then there's the kind that allows you to 'feel' something towards the subject. The little things that convey emotion, story and idea. Subtlety, nuance, and an understanding of your subject, etc. Often you have to be technically proficient to generate emotion as well, but technical proficiency by itself is no guarantee that you'll get the latter kind of emotional interest and investment.

There are probably more levels that interest exists on, but that's my two cents worth.
cool!:nod: that was great! thanks!
:iconkelii:
Kelii Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It's the 'sense of motion' and lighting for me. Ironically, those are the things I need to work on the most :D
I see! both sense of motion and lighting are both pretty difficult, I need to work in that area as well! I wish you luck with that:nod:
:iconaki-rain:
Aki-rain Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
For me, the composition and colors used in a piece of art have a large impact on whether it's "cool." I like creative use of colors that fit into some sort of scheme, or contrast, or if something moves in an interesting way across the drawing.
I also like interesting and dynamic poses, and original ideas that I haven't thought about much before.
cool! wow i wasn't really thinking about color but i guess that really plays a big part:O_o:
Add a Comment: