Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 70

is there such a thing as fake art?

:iconheaven-spawn:
heaven-spawn Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
i think some types of art are initially better than another type.

for example, real painting takes much more work and effort than digital painting. this makes it more of an art form.

and sure i am a digital painter myself but i just do it for fun, and i think that's really what it's more like.

like sure with photography you point and click a button, you dont stand there an paint for a long time like a real artist.

i could also say writers are real artist because they take like 3 years to write a book, but, then almost anyone can write so not sure about this one. what do you guys think?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
"real painting takes much more work and effort than digital painting. this makes it more of an art form."

Doing a quality traditional painting and a quality digital painting... are hard in their own ways. Each one is different, requiring different techniques to produce something. Theyre all different tools. Its like saying "painting with brushes takes more work and effort then airbrushing, so its a better art form" Your comparing two different tools. Art is hard no matter what tool you use. It may be easy to mess around with art, but to challenge yourself and take your art to a professional level, Is hard no matter what medium your using.

The amount of time working on something is irrelevant. Each piece requires a different amount of time to create. Their is no set time with art. Sometimes it takes a long time sometimes is doesnt. Its art.
:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student General Artist
Art has such a broad definition that I don't think it's possible to classify something as real or fake, because literally anything can be considered artistic. I could take a crayon and scribble on my wall for a bit and someone, somewhere will think it's a masterpiece.
:iconpringlesaddict99:
pringlesaddict99 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think art is creating something new or representing something that already exists from a different perspective, no matter what the media.

Some photography doesn't take effort, and I don't think of it as art myself, I just find it amazing. But you have probably seen some wildlife photos, some people almost kill themselves (not literally) to get a good shot of wild animals. I admire photos of frogs the most. I couldn't take a good photo of a sleeping cat, imagine taking a photo of a frog on a leaf from up close? Those things are fast as hell.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
The reason I started considering photography a real art is because I learned the term "sketching the light". "photography" actually comes from the term "painting light". It really is what you're doing. You have to adjust how the light hits, effects and paint your subject with light in order to get a good photo. All of the camera settings (ISO, apeture, shutter) and everything having to do with "getting a good photo" has to do with adjusting and manipulating the light (aside form composition).
Just thought I'd share heehee.
I know, I still don't consider it art. As I said, I just find it amazing :D
How come? I doesn't bother me, just curious. I don't find sloppy abstracts art, although a lot of people do. Guess we all have our things.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it and I'm amazed by it sometimes, I just don't think of it as art on the same level as painting. Photography is very limited to... well, things that actually exist.
Unless you get heavy into photo manipulation or filters I guess.

I'm a hobbyist photographer, but I actually agree with you to some degree. It's very very difficult to be an "artist" with photography. Although we are painting with light, most (including myself) are more of documenters rather then artistic. I consider for myself photography to be more of a fantastic documentory skill then anything.

I guess the kind photography "art" you're looking for are surrealist photographers. They don't limit themselves to reality. It's not just a photoshop skill because a lot of film photographers were able to do the same thing. For example, my uncle did a double exposure. He took a photo of a seascape and a seperate one of a ship. He exposed them on the same film strip so it looked like the ship was floating in the sky.

Some you might enjoy [link]
Awesome!
:iconkami-ato:
Kami-Ato Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Art is hard to describe. It's mainly a personal matter if someone believes one of their pieces is artwork or not. People who observe other people's art can't exactly say that "This isn't Art". It's what the creator believes in and because he/she chooses to share their art with you or others doesn't give you the right to say that this isn't art. It's your own opinion for whose Art you think is better than others but please don't say that one form of art is harder than others.
Add a Comment: