Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

What beginner copic sketch markers should I get?

:iconsydney3711:
Sydney3711 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have really been wanting some copics for a while now, and my mother said that she would get some for me for Christmas. And since Copics are so expensive, I have to be a little picky and choosy about them. So, what do you recommend being some good starter colors?

Note: At the most I need about 24 colors or so, but you can add any that you think are good for beginners. I really like the 6-piece packages. Oh and I already have two copic multiliners. Thanks for the help! (And where do you think I could get some at the cheapest? I've tried Amazon, but I don't know..)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Well, I mostly draw people. :P
Okay, thanks for the tips! Um I have a question though. I saw the Ciao markers, but what are the difference between them and Sketch Copics?
:icontrickster91:
Trickster91 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012   Traditional Artist
Ciao has is the same exact thing as Sketch but smaller and holds a little less ink. They're a bit cheaper too, but they are also refillable and their nibs can be replaced to.

Since you like to draw people, earth tones would be helpful for the skin. I could say some of my favorites, but what works for me might not work for you. I also buy my markers individually, but if you really want a set Copic does have some small ones like for skin, water, pastel, etc.
Okay, thanks! I think I've basically decided on these: the Ciao Markers Basic 24 - pack, the Copic Sketch Markers Skin Tones pack, and some individual ones, including a neutral gray.

Thanks for the tips everyone :)
:icontrickster91:
Trickster91 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012   Traditional Artist
The Copic Ciao is the cheapest compare to the sketch. As far as good colors to get goes...it depends what you do. What do you normally like to draw the most? (people, landscapes, water, etc)?
:iconparabuteo78:
Parabuteo78 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I am by no means an expert but I came across some lists for starters in various Copic blogs/websites. Maybe these will help you out;

A couple of start-out lists by different artists:
[link]

Starter list with markers from every color family, two different links:
[link]
[link]

One tip that I can give you is using the Cool and Warm Grays for shadows and shading instead of darker colors. (It would depend on the base color if you use a cool or warm gray)
I would also recommend getting Ciao's because they are basically the cheapest off all the marker types. That way you can get more different markers and so more colors.

I got the vast majority of my markers from eBay. I got a few of them loose from my local artstore when I was in a bind and needed a replacement quickly but most of them are bought online. There are also sellers with custom sets, like a nature or manga set.

Good luck!
Add a Comment: