Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 162

What have you learnt from your fellow artists?

:iconnamenotrequired:
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Student Interface Designer
I'd love to hear :)

One reason why I love deviantART so much is because I find artists fascinating and inspiring people. I'm sure that everyone who's been on dA for a while, or some form of art education maybe, or any other environment where one can get in touch with fellow artists, has learnt things from them.

A new artistic technique? A different perspective on yourself, or the world? A new recipe for your favourite soup? :P Intriguing facts about the universe?

:meditation: Think about it for a while, and tell me - what have fellow artists taught you, or inspired in you?

:love:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconphilipjamesevans:
philipjamesevans Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Fuck all.
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Interface Designer
That's your new attitude? :D
:iconkidsworldfun:
kidsworldfun Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Thats cool!

[link]
:spam:
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
a lot of things to not do ever :meow:
like what?
:iconstingray970:
stingray970 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Another artist has never actually directly given me knowledge, at least in the sense that they purposely spoke to me and gave me advice.

I took some tricks from artists just by looking at their art and occasionally some livestreams/videos some artists have about it.
Yes, that works too! :squee: And tutorials count as well :D
:iconpurpllamas:
Purpllamas Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student General Artist
I've learned that people can improve drastically over a short period of time. I love it when I can look through someone's gallery and see just how much they've progressed in a couple years. Makes me feel like I can be that good someday :eager:
That's true, I've seen some people improve a lot really quickly! :D Especially if they're still very young that's great to see :)
:iconecoste:
Ecoste Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
A couple of years isn't a short period of time 0.o
:iconpurpllamas:
Purpllamas Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student General Artist
1-2 as opposed to 5-10 seems pretty short to me...
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I haven't been around on DA long enough to meet a lot of people, but I do try and learn from what other artist are doing. The main thing I have learned about is composition and actions in pictures. I have noticed since coming to this site that a lot of my compositions of the pieces I work on are very similar, and that I need to mix it up a bit. As for the action in pictures, I guess it ties in to the composition, but its really neat seeing how little interactions between objects in a picture can really change the meaning of a work.
Ah, so are you trying new things now? :D
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yep! Fan Art is something I have only done specifically for DA, and recently, I've been adding multiple characters into a picture. It's very fun, and has proven to be quite challenging for me.
:iconrobbjosf:
robbjosf Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
I was looking for info on painting with iPad apps and I found a site with some really great work. I emailed the artist just to say "I really like your work" and she replied with not only a thanks but she also included some tips and a 40 page tutorial that she wrote. Awesome, right?

So yeah I learned a new technique and that sharing is cool, well I knew that already. I'm working through her tutorial and I'm pretty amazed at what I've accomplished so far. Ha, who knew I'd dig painting on my iPad.
BTW her site can be found here. [link]
Oh, awesome! :happybounce: it's great how many artists are willing to help each other :D
:iconrobbjosf:
robbjosf Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
Yes it is.
:iconrealitybunny:
realitybunny Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
I've tried to learn something from people here for quite some time, but what I've learned was that if you're not already "in" in terms of the contacts and skills it's impossible to learn anything. Thanks for telling me about Raccoon though. It's the only good thing I've gotten from this site.
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Racoon the band?
:iconrealitybunny:
realitybunny Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Yup. :P
Yay! :la:
:iconunreal-hunter:
unreal-hunter Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
work methods are so diverse here, an artist making almost the same thing you are making, might be taking an entirally different approach. I find learning these different approaches very enjoyable.

things related to leatherwork and costume making in my case
That's cool! You make really awesome things. :D
:iconunreal-hunter:
unreal-hunter Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
thank you, I try ^^;
I heard you're quite the busybody when it comes to artist interaction. Nice to meet you.
So what is the biggest change you've undergone, that found it's origin in another artist or his/her work?
You're welcome, and likewise :handshake:

Hmm... I'm not sure. Too much to describe I think, considering I've always loved music and played instruments since I was a little kid, plus how much I learnt here on deviantART, which I joined as a teenager
:iconkhirate:
Khirate Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Life's a bitch, so if it's easy, you're doing it wrong. Just because things get tough is no reason to quit. Bullcrap. That's no way to get through a problem.

I learn a lot from *nheira, sometimes he puts small bits of advice in his deviation descriptions. Simple, yet they're very inspirational to me.
Expensive tools are not necessary, practice is more important. [link]
"Stay true to yourself, always."
"if I can not fulfill my dreams, my life is worthless."

Also, my amazing friend ~Dragonclaw545 is an amazing artist, yet she still refuses to relax and keeps improving so that she can achieve her dream. Someday, I hope to be like her, so even as my art is very mediocre now, I will not get discouraged, because it's my dream to be able to create beautiful art, just like my two favourite artists.
That's great :squee: Good luck with that! :hug:

I agree - the master is he or she who creates the most awesome things with the most limited tools. :D or, as we say in dutch, "in de beperking toont zich de meester". German has a similar saying, but it doesn't translate well to English. It means something like "when limited, you can tell who the master is".
:iconkhirate:
Khirate Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you!~ ^.^

Haha, yeah :)
Well, that's a wordy way to say it =P That's a wonderful saying though CX
I told you it didn't translate well. :giggle:

Welcome :highfive:
:iconjenniej92:
Jenniej92 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
pff... you are one for asking difficult questions, arnt you :P

what I learnt:
never give up, keep trying, working together helps, being encouraging to somebody will make you more enthousiastic too

and a lot about drawing techniques :3
annnnd so much more.. :faint:
Those are great things :happybounce: What more? :P
Jenniej92 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
hihi thanks :P

pff.. yeah...
maybe to dont judge a book by its cover so fast :)
I tend to make my opinion about somebody by looking at their looks and clothes. ( you know me, i do xD )
and on da i could be friends with somebody without knowing what they look like
and love them when i find out they dont look like the people i normally like :XD:

.. god, i sound like a bitch :P
:giggle: how would you have judged me if you didn't know me on dA before? :P
Jenniej92 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
we didnt knew eachother that well before we met xD
we found out we both lived in Utrecht and met directly after that x3

so, i ve no clueee :dummy:
True :giggle:
:iconaki-rain:
Aki-rain Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
From this site, I've mostly learned from tutorials that others have created. I was surprised at how many different techniques there can be to create one idea, and what kinds of detail are actually put into something that looks relatively simple.

I've also learned how to look at drawings and take techniques from them, ehehe. Just seeing how other people draw helps me improve my technique as well.
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Interface Designer
That's great! :) Trial and error is a very helpful (and arguably the most important) way of learning, when it comes to creating art - but the ability to learn from others is a wonderful plus that may give you many ideas and teach you many things you may never have considered otherwise. :D
:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
I learned to use reference pictures, picked up a few techniques, and mostly got tons of inspiration :)
That's a great thing :squee:
:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student General Artist
:)
:iconthewerewolfpuppy:
TheWerewolfPuppy Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Many techniques, but mostly they give me inspiration :love: The best thing is when I get serious feedback :heart:
I feel you there! :la:
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Learned to use some stock resources about this site :nod: Made a lot of things a little easier in personal work. I certainly get a lot of inspiration to work on stories and such when I see a lot of other artists making comics and such (Even bought a lot of comics from other artists on this site :D).
Stock and resources are an invaluable part of the site! :happybounce: As is the constant source of inspiration. That's great :hug:
:iconconniekidd:
conniekidd Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So much! :heart: I rarely drew anything at all back when I was first abused into joining dA by a friend. :giggle: It was *gabbyd70's work that inspired me to try drawing more. (and the fact that my school messed up my subjects and put me in art class instead of mandarin :lol: )

I think people on dA have made me a better person in general, too. I've met so many lovely people and made great friends, learning so much from them. <3
I also think that talking to people of all ages and backgrounds on dA has made me much more mature than I was when I first joined. C:

...and I've developed a useless ability to talk gibberish at stupid hours in the morning. I should log off now. <3
That's amazing :love: I feel much the same way.

Hey, you have no idea when such an apparently useless ability will come in useful :squee:
:icondoodlemancy:
doodlemancy Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I've had a tablet for years and could never, ever draw with it the way that I drew on paper. I started watching my artist friends work digitally on Livestream a couple of months ago, and something clicked. Now I've been drawing with my tablet more than I draw on paper. =P
Oh, that's awesome! :squee: So watching the livestream really helped you? :D
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Getting critiques is awesome. Tips and seeing faults in others work and learning from them is helpful. Seeing different cultures and opinions makes the inner eye more open towards beliefs and things. Things can be set in stone and yet remain in mist. :meditate:
Add a Comment: