Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

HELP: Printing Digital Art

:icondanny-spikes:
danny-spikes Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
I got a commission to make an CD cover for a mates rap group. and i want to make sure i use all the correct settings so that it prints true to what i see on the screen.

The typical CD case is 12.1cm x 12.1cm.
I was thinking i would work on a canvas 24.2x24.2cm so it can be compressed and look more detailed on the print.

and i would work with 300dpi

i dont know about how to make colours look true to print though.
perhaps there is a pallet i can work off for my image?

I use fireapcala and CS5. i have a mac

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconichabod1799:
ichabod1799 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
It's impossible to get the colours to match exactly it's always going to be slightly off because you're printing on top paper so it will come out slightly darker. where as when you're doing the artwork on a computer screen you're working on a lightbulb so it's going to look brighter. It depends on the printer's printer too. Yes there is the CYMK colour profile which was originally for printing - however when I get my prints done at a professional geclee printer he uses the adobe RGB profiler. There is a thing called a spider collaborator, which apparently sets your laptop to appear how it'll be printed. I don't know how it works though. I do now that Mac do have alot of trouble displaying colours right/the same across other computers and printers, it's been an ongoing complaint
:icononedirectionsauce:
onedirectionsauce Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
im ameture at this shit....but ive made like, two CD covers...i think i kinda have a solution to your problem.

:orangebulletpoint: I would make your own palette. If your drawing it by hand (which it sounds like what your doing) i would use every colour u have and put it on the same kind of paper you're using for the cover and scan&print it...then you could base it off your hand-made pallete.

btw...i'd love to hear the CD, im always looking for new music.

again, im ametur at this so if i sound like an idiot, its because I am.
:icononedirectionsauce:
onedirectionsauce Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
im ameture at this shit....but ive made like, two CD covers...i think i kinda have a solution to your problem.

:orangebulletpoint: I would make your own palette. If your drawing it by hand (which it sounds like what your doing) i would use every colour u have and put it on the same kind of paper you're using for the cover and scan&print it...then you could base it off your hand-made pallete.

btw...i'd love to hear the CD, im always looking for new music.

again, im ametur at this so if i sound like an idiot, its because I am.
:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
I would 1st contact a printing place that does paper printing. Find out what kind of file youll need. It can be either cmky and they have printers that can print rbg colors now,like at costco. so finding out what they can do is your 1st start.

ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!! look into finding the printer profiles they are using to print with their printer. you can use that as your "proof" in photoshop, and adjust the image to what profile they are using......lets say you do it in cmyk with no profile, when its printed it could be totally off with colors, to dark. So when your done with the file or when your working on it you can switch to the printer profile, so see what the image should look like.

BUt i still think for the BEST results find a place that will work with you, so you can do test prints or view the image on their machine, so in the end you get the exact print your looking for.. A local mom and pops print shop will work with you and should do this, they might do a test prints or you can look on their color corrected monitor to see if the colors are true. If you go to a place...say like kinkos or costco to print. They wont really work with you like a mom and pops print shop. SO then you have to adjust things on your end to get the print your after.
:iconmissleepify:
Missleepify Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Isn't there a pallet called CMYK or something which you use instead of the standard RGB when the work is to be printed? I think you make the setting when you create a new document.
I'm not sure if it really makes much of a difference since most printers today are capable of printing more colors than the CMYK pallet... I really have no idea :lol:
:iconamarie-veneanar:
Amarie-Veneanar Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Well, I guess I didn't post my original comment. :( One more try...
You also need to take into account the "bleed edge" regarding the image size, that you hand over the printer. That image will likely be slightly bigger than the final outcome. You can read how dA handles this as an example in this FAQ: FAQ #298: What is a bleed edge and how do I use it when preparing my artwork for printing?
The professional printer will tell you, what actual size you should turn in to them. They can also tell you, which colour profile you should use. Best of luck with your commission! :-)
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student General Artist
Are you planning on just printing it out yourself at home, or will the cover be printed professionally?
:icondanny-spikes:
danny-spikes Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
professional, well i assume. im giving the digital copy to my client.
and its my first big client, its a national CD o3o
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student General Artist
Very nice.
My advice is to just make the piece, then print a few test copies yourself or at a professional place. With each copy, make some minor adjustments to brightness, contrast, saturation, etc. Then decide which one prints best and send that one to your client. Every printer is different though, and things will look different depending on the paper they're printed on as well.
Add a Comment: