Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

What kind of pens should I buy for inking manga, and what art supplies should I buy in general

:iconlilidani12:
Lilidani12 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student Digital Artist
What makes Prismacolor better than the rest in colored pencils?
What supplies should I use if I want to makee a manga?
What kind of pens should I get for inking?
Should I color it traditionally or digtally?
If you could answer any of these question, I would greatly appreciate it :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjoshuachan16:
JoshuaChan16 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Try to buy nib-pens, they have certain kinds of nibs like G, Kabura, school and maru nibs (Maru and the rest of the four needs different nib holders).
G nibs might be the hardest pen to use during manga because it makes thick and thin lines easily, means that you have to control the strength pf drawing.
Kabura nibs draws a balanced thickness for lines, some of them use Kabura because it's easier to draw manga.
School nibs are for artist that draw with incredible strength, it looks like G nibs but G nibs has the letter "G" on the nibs and School nibs don't. It can draw thin lines even though you press hard on paper.
Maru nibs draw the thinnest line of all the nibs above, but it's not a good idea for characters and strong visual effects, they are used mostly on little details.

There is such thing called "Manga paper", the paper are usually harder than normal papers, I think why is it hard is because of "Tone cutting".
They only have two sizes of manga paper, A4 and B4.
A4 is used for drawing doujinshi, meaning that you can't draw your original story but likely a fan story of your favorite manga, anime or game.
B4 are used for original stories, you can draw your story on it and publish to some manga magazine companies(Weekly Shonen Jump for example).

Coloring can be traditional or digital, forgot to say....If you're drawing manga digitally then save the manga pages on a disk AND print the pages with A4 for backup.
If you're gonna draw traditionally then buy Copic markers.
I would use Corel Painter for digital coloring....If I had enough money. All I have is paint tool SAI, you can use it to color the pages, too.

Sorry for my grammar, I hope these will be useful for your manga~
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
No idea, I never used Prismacolors.

What supplies should I use if I want to make a manga?
Paper, graphite pencil, kneadable eraser, ruler, and something to ink it with (see below).

If you like to keep things neat, get fine-liners in several widths (Sakura, Uni, Copic...)
If you like a bit of variety in your lines, get a flexible dip pen, a couple of brushes and bottled ink. I prefer this, as fineliners give a sort of sterile look. I also use a brush pen.

Your choice entirely. Depends what experience you already have.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Its not the waxy look. Alot of the Color pencils have wax like cores. Its that they are softer and tend to be more richer then Craylor, because of how much pigment is put into the pencil, leading to a brighter, smoother blending, and all other loves about this pencil. The thing though is, you should never use an electric sharpener. You can break the inside of the pencil since it is that soft.

There is alot of supplies, and that all depends on the effect you want to get and what drawing supplies you want to do. If you want the most common way that they do it in japan, screentones, manga bristol paper (they have the blue guidelines already in there), some thing to ink with (they use a g pen or different fountain pents, brush ink, or pen), rulers, pencil and tons of image references. For colors, its more likely to use copic markers, and brushes.

But really, there is alot of supplies to try out and there isn't one way to do it. Its mostly which can you make a mess less or any restricitions you are asking for.

I say get a variety of tipes. You can get brushes, pens, and fountain pens to try out. Mostly only get like india ink, or sakura microns, ones that are pure black.
Its another preference thing. It doesn't really matter too much which you choose. Giving a goal about what you want to do with your manga page can help you decide.
:iconpapayadog:
PapayaDog Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
They don't have that waxy look and feel colored pencils like Crayola have. They also blend better. They're a lot more expensive though, which I hate >_>

Pencil, ink, eraser, paper (bristol paper works well with ink, but art supply stores do have this special manga/comic paper. Idk what it's called but I've seen it around before.)

Copic multiliners (warning: EXPENSIVE), sakura, faber-castell, bottled ink, regular ball pens or gel pens, dip pen, fountain pen. From my experience fountain pens are kind of difficult to use. Maybe it's because I'm not used to them XD

That really depends on your preference.
:iconhmontes:
HMontes Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional General Artist
When I hand-inked my comics in the past I used nib pens. In fact you can now buy the same kind of pens artists in Japan uses. [link]

I also used a refillable fountain pen with special india ink.

As for paper I went with whatever size I needed for the art. When it came to comics I would work on 11"x17" pre-printed blueline paper that already had the border guides printed on them.
:iconpunkskaplunk:
Punkskaplunk Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Student General Artist
Staedtler fine liners are the best pens i've used and the only ones i've found to be water proof. I like to use Derwent pencils because i find them to be smoother and don't have a waxy surface when you are building up colours. I've never used prismacolor so i can't verify how i find them in comparison to derwent.
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
1) No idea, I mostly use colored pencils for sketches in my sketchbook.
2) Ruler and paper to start off.
3) Depends on what you are interested in. I like brushes, nibs, bottle ink and different sized markers. Brush and ink is actually relatively readily available and affordable. No comic is inked with just one tool throughout. If you are just starting out pick up whatever is closest to what you are comfortable in but don't be afraid to try new things.
4) However you want!
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student General Artist
1. I prefer prismacolors because they have a large variety of colors, and they blend well for me.
2. Whatever size paper you're comfortable working on. I generally work on around 11x17.
3. I use Sakura Pigma Sensei pens, a fountain pen, a pot of ink and a brush for my inking.
4. Whatever works for you! Try both and see what gives you the effect you like.
:iconlilidani12:
Lilidani12 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Thank you so much, that was very useful info :D
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student General Artist
Welcome, and thanks for the watch. :hug:
Add a Comment: