Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 75

Have you ever screwed up on a drawing?

:iconohmyhippogriff:
OhMyHippogriff Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Have you ever felt like you screwed up on a drawing, but people still liked it anyway? I've been working on this frog drawing for so many hours, and I feel like I messed it up at the end. I decided to use white gouache to paint the light reflections on the skin, but now I think I should have just used my eraser (the drawing was done with colored pencil.) The gouache stands out in a way that isn't appealing to me. I am so disappointed right now. It was a tough drawing, and I managed to correct other areas that I wasn't happy with, but I can't get rid of the gouache.

I was hoping to sell it, but now I'm not sure I will. I'll scan it when the paint dries...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstarsweb:
starsweb Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012   Interface Designer
In teenage i used mostly pencil when drawing. I love to drawing some natural things.Now long ago I do not draw anything.
:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student General Artist
I think the second I pick up a drawing utensile, I'm predetermined to screw something up.
:iconrizhnir:
Rizhnir Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Constantly. Like a lot of people, I mess up or realize how bad it is after I'm almost done.

But you finish it and learn from those mistakes. I like to see each piece as a snapshot of how far I've come and how far I've got to go, so even the bad ones are worth something to me.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional General Artist
There's a sort of... 'curse' in professional circles, that if (for example) a client needs you to do a drawing of a cat. So you do 5 sketches of different types of cats so the client can pick which one they like best. You love 4 of them but hate one of them, the client is guaranteed to pick the one you hate.

As for screwing up, you learn more from one piece you FUBARed than 10 piece you did perfectly. I bet you learned a lot from your drawing and your mistake?
:iconceruulean:
Ceruulean Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012   General Artist
When I screw up, I just try to continue on because fixing it will make it looks worse. Then when I show other people, I don't mention flaws at all unless they notice it! :P
OhMyHippogriff Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've posted the drawing, if anyone is interested in seeing it!

:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student General Artist
I once painted this really shitty self portrait that I didn't like and yet my teacher enjoyed it. hahahahaha
Haha.. That seems to be happening to everyone! At least someone enjoyed it though.
:iconfarewell-spring:
Farewell-Spring Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Many times, actually all the time, sometimes I start over from scratch if I'm really, really dissatisfied but other times I just leave as it is. :shrug:
I rarely start over from scratch too. I put too much effort into my drawings to start over! Although, sometimes I do a lot of erasing!
:iconcody-h:
Cody-H Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Photographer
Everyone has messed up at least once. The other day, I tried to draw an Antrho wolf, and for some reason I drew an Anthro Bear... :shrug:
OhMyHippogriff Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Anthro Bear sounds pretty sweet nonetheless!
:iconcody-h:
Cody-H Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Photographer
Thanks. ^^ Yeah I guess so.
:iconjulessilvan:
JulesSilvan Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012   Traditional Artist
Quite often, it's one of the disadvantages of working in pen. Usually I try to hide it in some way - covering it up or adding marks to other parts of the drawing so it looks like the mistake was deliberate. It's a good job that I like a certain amount of imperfection and scruffiness, sometimes if something is too neat it loses character and becomes sterile but on the other hand if something is too scruffy it looks a mess so its a bit of a balancing act.
I agree, that it's a balancing act. Too neat, although perhaps impressive, is a little boring to me!
:iconrealitybunny:
realitybunny Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
I've never drawn anything correctly, let alone had people like it. "OMG! A crooked line on my otherwise perfect drawing. What ever shall I do? QQ on internet." Silly first world problems. -.-
:icontheartofcbyoung:
TheArtOfCBYoung Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"Have you ever felt like you screwed up on a drawing, but people still liked it anyway?"

More often than not, I think.
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
There's an "Oh, shit!" moment in nearly every drawing. I've always seen it, after I stop the self-flagellation & panicking, as an opportunity to prove to myself what kind of artist I am. If I can fix the fuck up du jour, I might not be half bad.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
constantly. most of the things I've done that I hate have gotten more attention than anything else.
:iconkelii:
Kelii Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Most often, when I don't like one of my pictures everyone else does. When I love a painting, people aren't interested. I guess I have bad tastes, lol.
OhMyHippogriff Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Aw, I wouldn't call it that! I can't think something's bad if you love it, you know?
:iconfuee:
Fuee Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012   General Artist
I botch something significant in just about everything I draw. I see it as just part of the deal, and if I can smooth it out, sweet. If I can't, oh well, finish it anyway.

As for your gouache problem, if you can't reduce it enough, you could try lightening the areas around it so it blends better or something.
Seeing it as part of the deal, like you said, seems like a good way to look at it.

I've thought about doing that, too, lightening the areas around it. I ended up covering some of the white with blue spots (it's a spotted froggy), and that reduced it to a point that I'm happy with it. I think in the future, though, I'll do that before I add the gouache.
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I mostly screw up drawings when I add colour
Do you manage to turn those instances into something you're satisfied with? And color definitely is a whole other animal! I worked with just graphite pencil for most of my life.
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
No. Most of the time I'm dissatissfied
:icondigitalisvitae:
DigitalisVitae Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Hahahahahah - every drawing is a screw up, for me. Just learn an move on.
I'm glad you can laugh about it! :)
:icondigitalisvitae:
DigitalisVitae Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
If you don't laugh about it, the frustration will get to ya.
:iconthenecco:
TheNecco Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student General Artist
everyone has!
This thread has shown me that indeed!
:iconinisipis:
inisipis Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Nearly finished artwork that took a couple of hours to make meets: coffee spills, paint on wrist, sneeze, grease from fingers, wrong color on brush, a dirty floor to fall on, electricity power outage, monitor breakdown, computer freeze, computer break down, paint squirts from air-brush, ink bleeding, water-color bleeding...:)
OhMyHippogriff Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Wow, all during one artwork? Haha. Well, that's something to be proud of when it's finished!
:iconinisipis:
inisipis Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Filmographer
LOl, if it were one art work I would spontaneously combusted long ago. They all did happen to me one time or another, usually right before dead-line.:D
:iconpringlesaddict99:
pringlesaddict99 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, of course! I usually mess up on adding some final touches. It might be suprising, but I usually mess up in Photoshop. Mostly because I paint on the wrong layer and realized it too late.
Earlier someone suggested I fix mistakes with Photoshop! I guess it can happen anytime, anywhere. Actually, I'm trying to look at my mistakes as adding character...
:iconmiasmic-mind:
miasmic-mind Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
i'll be amazed when i haven't managed to screw up something. i'm always able to find something i'm unhappy with in my pieces. but i think that just comes with the territory.
I suppose if a person isn't making mistakes, they can't have something to personally improve on. Sometimes I feel like I draw what is familiar because it's "easy." Recently though I've been feeling like I need to expand from this, you know? That means working on challenging projects. Mistakes could be thought of as a very good thing, in that light. If an artist isn't making mistakes, they're not growing! I've always approached projects wanting them to be perfect, but I think that's where my unhappiness with them comes from, when I do that.
:iconmiasmic-mind:
miasmic-mind Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
yah. i think a lot of the times when i don't aim for perfect my stuff comes out better. lots of "happy accidents" i guess. :P challenging yourself is definetly good though.
:iconkami-ato:
Kami-Ato Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I always screw up on drawings, but I tend to upload them as soon as I finish. I do sometimes look back at my drawings and think, "Oh I coulda improved on this".
I hope you keep them still! It seems that a lot of people throw artwork away that they're not happy with.
:icondoodlemancy:
doodlemancy Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's how it goes a lot for me, my hardest work gets no love at all and the stuff I feel like I screwed up gets praise. Even in class... my professor would come up behind me while I worked on my worst figure drawings and start praising them. :lmao:
Omigosh, that's funny! I can see how that'd be frustrating too. Do they ever tell you specifically what they like about those drawings? I've been reading some art blogs, and one suggested exaggerating those qualities that others react to, especially if they are something the artist would consider a mistake. I thought that was interesting advice. It's one reason I'm looking forward to having my work displayed at this art fair, so I can see how other people see my art.
:icondoodlemancy:
doodlemancy Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sometimes they'll tell me specifically what they liked, but when I try to re-create it later... flop, no one reacts at all. Honestly, what people like just seems like a toss-up. The things I think will get a good response almost never do. ^^; I guess all you can do is keep doin' your thing (and trying new things).
:icongoodnight-melbourne:
Goodnight-Melbourne Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012   Traditional Artist
hell yeah :D
:iconnamezmud:
NamezMud Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012   General Artist
Happens all the time. Sometimes I think it might be because people who are into art tend to notice the flaws that other people would overlook.
:iconpasscety:
Passcety Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012   General Artist
The sketch looking good, but clean up's result isn't as interesting to look at.
OhMyHippogriff Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Are you talking about a sketch of yours or mine?
:iconpasscety:
Passcety Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012   General Artist
Mine. :crying: Then I'm disappointed by the results and throw it to the side!
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional General Artist
Yes! I recently did I dragon digital painting that I hated. People went crazy for it. I took it down anyway.
Add a Comment: