Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 75

Have you ever screwed up on a drawing?

:iconohmyhippogriff:
OhMyHippogriff Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Have you ever felt like you screwed up on a drawing, but people still liked it anyway? I've been working on this frog drawing for so many hours, and I feel like I messed it up at the end. I decided to use white gouache to paint the light reflections on the skin, but now I think I should have just used my eraser (the drawing was done with colored pencil.) The gouache stands out in a way that isn't appealing to me. I am so disappointed right now. It was a tough drawing, and I managed to correct other areas that I wasn't happy with, but I can't get rid of the gouache.

I was hoping to sell it, but now I'm not sure I will. I'll scan it when the paint dries...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstarsweb:
starsweb Dec 4, 2012   Interface Designer
In teenage i used mostly pencil when drawing. I love to drawing some natural things.Now long ago I do not draw anything.
:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Dec 3, 2012  Student General Artist
I think the second I pick up a drawing utensile, I'm predetermined to screw something up.
:iconrizhnir:
Constantly. Like a lot of people, I mess up or realize how bad it is after I'm almost done.

But you finish it and learn from those mistakes. I like to see each piece as a snapshot of how far I've come and how far I've got to go, so even the bad ones are worth something to me.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Dec 3, 2012  Professional General Artist
There's a sort of... 'curse' in professional circles, that if (for example) a client needs you to do a drawing of a cat. So you do 5 sketches of different types of cats so the client can pick which one they like best. You love 4 of them but hate one of them, the client is guaranteed to pick the one you hate.

As for screwing up, you learn more from one piece you FUBARed than 10 piece you did perfectly. I bet you learned a lot from your drawing and your mistake?
:iconceruulean:
Ceruulean Dec 3, 2012   General Artist
When I screw up, I just try to continue on because fixing it will make it looks worse. Then when I show other people, I don't mention flaws at all unless they notice it! :P
OhMyHippogriff Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've posted the drawing, if anyone is interested in seeing it!

:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Nov 30, 2012  Student General Artist
I once painted this really shitty self portrait that I didn't like and yet my teacher enjoyed it. hahahahaha
Haha.. That seems to be happening to everyone! At least someone enjoyed it though.
:iconfarewell-spring:
Farewell-Spring Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Many times, actually all the time, sometimes I start over from scratch if I'm really, really dissatisfied but other times I just leave as it is. :shrug:
I rarely start over from scratch too. I put too much effort into my drawings to start over! Although, sometimes I do a lot of erasing!
Add a Comment: