Closed to new replies
November 20, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 23

Cosplay Ettiquette

:iconhatianidiot:
Hatianidiot Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I respect a good cosplay, and the Halloween that had just passed found me crossing paths with a Homestuck cosplayer dressed as Aradia Megido, and it was pretty good. So I let her know (I am loud) and gave her a hug and a hi five as I enjoy Homestuck as much as the next guy (Which is to say I am almost hopelessly fanatical XD). As she walked away I heard her say,

"Close enough."

oh dear, I felt I had called out a shy cosplayer as the wrong character and hurt their feelings even though it was a really good cosplay and I have little attention to detail (She could have been Damara, I didn't pay attention to the hair, just the spirally horns)

What I want to ask you is how one goes about approaching a cosplayer when you are unsure what character they are playing as.

How do you avoid this awkward situation?

Discuss.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
Simply ask a cosplayer what they are, they don't expect everyone to recognize them. It's silly to think that everyone knows the cartoon/book/game/comic they're cosplaying.
Hatianidiot Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
True.
:iconsaiyron:
saiyron Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yup i agree and a little compliment here and there can't harm anyone :D
but i would'nt hug any stranger xD !!
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
Yeah I would definitely not be comfortable if strangers started hugging me... :D
:iconsaiyron:
saiyron Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
xD yeah that if i don't smack them when they do !
:icontsukubane:
Tsukubane Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student Filmographer
Would say wow and just give lots of compliments. Sometimes they give hints or detail about who they are.
Hatianidiot Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Good point
:iconlucas420:
lucas420 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i always usually go up and say, "oh you look really cool! i THINK you're ___, but i don't know that thing very well" and usually they explain it to me well :nod:

aradiiiaaaa * A * i had a close friend that was aradia for halloween and they said someone highfived them like that ...
HMM..... hehe wow odd
Hatianidiot Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
hold on...
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012   Digital Artist
I think you can just ask them. It's not an insult, cos you may never have even heard of the show they are from. Or you could be like, "I love your costume. The character looks so familiar, but I can't remember their name."
Add a Comment: