Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

So, I don't know if you've heard this topic come up before, but, help, maybe?

:iconamextris:
amextris Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
Well..I can't bring myself to draw anything lately. I'll start, then look at it, and say, 'nope'. It's more than just an art block, I think, because it's been like this for a while. I just..I have no inspiration, no confidence. I want to improve, but I don't know how. I mean..I know what I need to improve, but...I don't know how to do it. And every time I ask for help, I'm either over reacting, nobody really knows what to do, or nobody gives a care for me! I had about eight out of..maybe fourty watchers actively watching me on my old account (~AnimeTrixMaster). I have less now, because I switched, and very few people followed, or cared.

Right. I'm getting ahead of myself.
I just..I need help here. Please. How have you learned to do interesting things, or gained ideas/inspiration? And further more, I'll ask specifically: how to I make my lines not so stiff when I'm finishing? I think that's a large problem I have.

Umm, so...ja. If you could just take a moment and try and help at least a little..I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional General Artist
Yeah actually this topic comes up pretty often since everybody goes through a phase like that at some point.
Here is the 'Official' Artist's Block Thread, and here's my article on How to overcome an art block which also covers the questions you asked here.

I wrote this article after I got tired of typing the same thing over and over whenever someone asked the same question :)
:iconthethirdcartel:
theThirdCartel Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
Grab an art instruction book and work through it. It makes you draw and you'd have learnt something by the end. I'm going through an anatomy book right now (my notes and studies are here: [link] ).
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
Decide what you want to improve, and work on that.

If you want to improve perspective, not only look up tutorials on 1 2 and 3 point perspective, but get out and draw from life, the cars parking in front of buildings on the street, etc.

If you want to get better at people, draw yourself in the mirror, your friends, your relatives, strangers waiting at a bus stop, the kids on the playground.

I don't know what you mean by stiff lines. If they are too straight, relax your wrist some and give a little more curve to them.

Switching accounts is generally not going to do anything good for your status on DA. You will loose watchers, and not only that, you loose brand name (I do not even suggest changing your DA handle, even if you havce grown to dislike it) People come to know you by that name, and if you change it, they are more likely to stop watching because they do not know who you are.
:iconnarrenzauber:
Narrenzauber Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
I've taken a look into your old and your new gallery. I can give you quite some tips. I don't know if you will appreciate them or not, but they will definitly help you! I experienced it myself and a lot of other artists did it, too.

For the start: Screw creativity and inspiration! Both of them will come with time. So don't pressure yourself with that for now. You don't need to be super unique and original. Save that for later and concentrate on learning and practising. Break out of your comfort zone and return to the basic. Yes, it could be boring and it is a lot of work, but it will help you.

No matter, which style you like best and you want to work with, study realism. Your style will improve as your skills and your technique. Realism is the foundation for nearly everything. I see that you like to draw humans, so study the human anatomy. No, don't look into "How-To-Draw-Anime/ Manga" books. I've seen quite a lot of them and they are horrible. Maybe there are some exeptions, but for now you won't be able to tell the difference. It's quite funny, because people can't tell what is really helpful and good until they know how to do things. I experienced it myself. Luckily I've never bought many art books, so I needn't get rid of many.

Safe the question about style for later. Even style will come with time.

In short: Make studies! Draw things from life! Draw things around you! Study the basics (light, shadow, colour theory, anatomy)! Leave your comfort zone: Draw landscapes! Draw Animals! Draw whatever you want or not want! Enlarge your visual library! All this will help you to improve and with the time your creativity and inspiration will come back! And between the studies, just draw something for fun.

Don't be afraid to use references. Everyone is doing it, but beware: Referencing isn't the same as copying.

I hope you get what I want to tell you. I don't have anything against your favourite style, but as you see only lurking withing your comfort zone won't bring you anywhere. So, cheer up! Everything is going to be fine. Just believe in yourself and study!
amextris Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student General Artist
Actually, I do appreciate your advice and tips. It's a lot better than I've been getting before I posted this.

I don't believe that drawing simple things is boring. It's like art class over again. Maybe I was over analyzing this.

YEAH! i have seen some pretty terrible 'how to draw' manga and anime books.. I typically only use them for poses and things.

thank you, and I'll definitely keep your advice in mind.
:iconnarrenzauber:
Narrenzauber Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
I am relieved, that you find the tips useful. :) But if you want to search for good poses, it's better if you use references like photos or your friends. In these books there are just too many mistakes.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012   Digital Artist
Try something completely new. How/what do you usually draw?
amextris Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student General Artist
I normally try to draw anime/manga. I've seen that people think thats bad to do, though..
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012   Digital Artist
It's not bad. it's just that you should practice drawing real people. it will help your anime a lot. I started off with anime, but my drawing improved once I tried drawing realistic. I didn't go back to anime, but you could. Drawing from life or photos will help you understand the human body better, and it's also really fun. :D So maybe trying something new could help shake you out of your artblock. Or you could even try something content different and try a landscape or animals.
Add a Comment: