Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 60

Do you read descriptions under the art posted here?

:iconcoin-du-feu:
Coin-du-Feu Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
When you check somebody's picture, do you also read the descriptions? Do you think that they are important to represent the piece shown? Do you write yours in length or do you feel like they are too much to bother with?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvivivoovoo:
ViViVooVoo Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Usually, nope!

Depends on the person really. If I know a guy actually consistently does interesting descriptions ( which you can usually gauge just by reading the user comments ), I'd take a look at it. Otherwise, no, I'm in for the art. Don't judge me for it please! :noes:
:iconpringlesaddict99:
pringlesaddict99 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes, I always read the description :) It kinda represents someone's work and the story behind it. Also, I am sometimes interested in what media na artist used to create some traditional painting.

But somehow, I ALWAYS skip the part that someone used somebody else's lineart and I always comment how good the lineart is, but the colouring could use a bit more shading :/ And I end up looking like an A-hole
:iconx666nightmare666x:
x666NiGhTmArE666x Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
I always read the description.
:icontakemakei:
TakemaKei Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I do read them. Unless its some lore on a certain thing, which i will read if I'm interested. Usually the descriptions is about how the person came about with this work, or the reasoning behind certain things.
:iconcandydechocolate:
CandyDeChocolate Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
yes, i read them. i think they r important n yeah, i do write my own description on my works :P
:iconametystical:
Ametystical Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
As a curious person that I am, I rarely don't. Even if it's too long, I just can't resist... :woohoo: I even admit that's kind of disappointing when they just put how the piece was made and nothing else.

I just don't read descriptions when it's difficult for me to understand - since English isn't my first language - and when I'm in a big hurry.

I try to leave comments frequently too.
:iconpenfan:
Penfan Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I read the descriptions of pictures all the time, just to get some background information on it or something.
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student General Artist
Majority of the times, I do read the descriptions. Especially if they're long. =P But if it has nothing to say, then I'm like, "Meh." lol...
Coin-du-Feu Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
What is the longest description you have read or written so far?
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student General Artist
Hmm... I remember I made some pretty long ones on my OC deviations.

The longest one I've read so far was on some Mother 3 fan art.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yes most of the time =) It's always nice to have some details from the author :thumbsup:
What do you look for in a description? Do you have a preferable type of description?
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I like to find some details about the making : the tool used, the time, the difficulties and technical details.
If there is more to say about the background, the universe behind the picture I'm interested too =)
But this has to be quite short or well presented to help the reading.
I feel quite annoying a copy paste of a wikipedia article in the description... :|
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Only when the artwork is interesting.
Otherwise, I won't bother looking long enough to actually read the description underneath ^^
:iconfarewell-spring:
Farewell-Spring Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I only read it if I'm thinking of putting a comment or faving the piece, otherwise I don't really read them, especially if they're long. :B

As for my own descriptions, I don't like to write much, I just write what I used to create the artwork and if it's fanart who the character is and that's about it, sometimes I may add a little bit more info but nothing much, I like to keep it short. :shrug:
:iconvisaga:
visaga Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes, if I don't then I feel as if it's disrespectful towards the artist! You should always read the descriptions :)
Agreed. Descriptions are nice, especially when it's not just how it was made but also why.
:iconvisaga:
visaga Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah :D
:iconlady-winterlace:
Lady-Winterlace Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
I usually read the text parts, and glance at lists (stock used etc.)
I really like to read descriptions that give the pic additional depth. I also like to know which stock was used - free and bought.
Just copying in song lyrics or long texts where you always have the feeling that. You are missing the key bore me, though.
Would you prefer the song lyrics if made by the artist, contrary to copied from a known song?
:iconwezenbeesje:
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional General Artist
Not really. Only if I want to know something. But most of the time I don't.
:iconfluffpuffgerbil:
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I always do. =)
Do you enjoy reading it or read it solely because it is there?
:iconfluffpuffgerbil:
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Perhaps both?
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
If it's there, I do.
:icononceuponanight23:
OnceUponANight23 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
YES!,
I ALWAYS read the description below every artwork here, because that's what the artist wants to tell, and to me, that's important :)
What do you feel about a piece, if it does not have a description posted or if the description appears to be merely: ... or similar?
:icononceuponanight23:
OnceUponANight23 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
If the piece doesnt have a description, I just admire it, and that's it, I dont feel nothing if it doesnt have a description. I rather pieces that have descriptions though, you can actually get more into the artwork if you read the artist comment :)
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Always, if it's something that's caught my attention and I've favourited it. I always tend to have to read the description for the stock photos I collect too for drawing refs since they have individual rules. :meow:
True, with stock photos the rules would be even more important, since the stock images are made to be shared but still have certain limit till which this is allowed.
:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
As for my descriptions, I just write what I used, and, whatever I have to comment about the art :shrug:
:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
If the art is significant to me, yes, I always will. Or else I just fav.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Generally, yes, I read the descriptions of a piece. It's mostly if I intend on asking a question; I check to see if the question is already answered in the description. If I'm just going to comment on how I like the piece, and a specific look about it, then I may skim the description :)
Do you think the reason for a certain look could also be found in the description and if so, would that convince you to read it?
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
Like I said, generally, I read the description, if not skim it. So I would find that out and comment on the look.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional General Artist
If I feel it might aid in reading the piece or offer greater context in its conceptualization/creation, yes.
:iconm-j-gagne:
M-J-Gagne Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think its kind of important to read the descriptions generally. However, they are especially important if you plan on commenting on the artwork. Largely because you don't want to make some statement in your comment about what the work is about, only to later find out that the artist already wrote some information about the themes and ideas that influenced it - and that you way off the mark. The artist might than not be impressed that you didn't take the time to understand fully where it was they were coming from.
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Yes. The comments under a piece of artwork can be very important. The biggest example for me is when an artist copies another artist's work- what's in the comments section can make the difference between me feeling that the artist has integrity (the artist acknowledged the source he/she worked from) or thinking he/she's just another PoS art thief.
Sometimes knowing the story behind a work can enrich it.
Sometimes knowing how something was done could mean another artist tries something different & learns a new skill. (We're a community, right?)

My personal policy is to indicate size, media & if I've used anyone else's work as reference, dead or alive, to list it, & in the case of collages where I've straight out used another artist's work (99.9% of the time the artist has been dead for around 100 years, which means the work is in free usage [usually])...I sure as hell indicate that.
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I saw that the first time last night actually when I was browsing the popular/new section. I found a 15 year old artist who in her own style had re-painted `yuumei's spirit deer/ duck picture except it had flowers on the horns as well as leaves. It was a nice copy/ remake but the fact that they lacked to mention where they very obviously got the inspiration/ idea from really ticked me off. :x
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Artist
Usually, yes. It's interesting.

Disappointing when they essentially just put "Meh" in the description.
It is. Similarly it is enjoyable to have explanations/descriptions given when a daily deviation is presented. Also then merely posting: This artist, this art, kind of looses the feel, but adding several of sentenses, or atleast one or two, makes it feel right.
Aye, but just one thing -- sentences* not sentenses.
Pardon. I've been in a bit of a hurry. Of course, I did mean sentences and not the other.
No problem just wanted to point that out to ye.
:iconisho13:
Isho13 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes, always. :nod: I don't mind if it's a full explanation of the concept shown in the pic/lit piece, or just a comment saying 'I had so much fun doing this! :D' I'll like it anyway. When the artist doesn't leave a word, or they type '...' I feel as if the artist doesn't care about what he or she just uploaded. Actually it's the same feeling I get when I see a DD with no comment from the one who gave the feature.
Agreed. And sometimes some art or a photograph needs an explanation to solve the question of why it had been done in just that certain way. I've just commented with the DD example a moment ago (just before reading your reply!) so yes, no comment given there also doesn't feel right.
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional General Artist
I always read descriptions to find what media has been used in creating the image.
If the author provided a personal context for the work, that's all the better, but I don't think it's required.

I usually keep my descriptions short, but on some occasions when I do have a bit more to share about the work, I write up to several paragraphs.
Do you feel the descrpition necessary to certain point/amount of content and what would you prefer an artist to write as description?
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional General Artist
The only description I personally consider necessary is size of the work and materials/tools used.
If other people's references or stock images were used, it's fair toward the original photographer to link them.
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes, or at least skim through it. It's one of the factors I take into consideration before favouriting or commenting.

Mine are about a couple of sentences or paragraphs. :shrug:
Add a Comment: