Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 17, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Using Graphite pencils on Bristol Board... Help!!

:iconwhat-about-chris:
What-about-chris Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
Hi

I'm drawing on bristol board and unfortunately there are pencil lines that i cant get rid of, used a few erasers but having no luck, the pencil mark causing a problem was only done in light tones? Could anyone help? any special eraser i should be using?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconyusakujon3:
YusakuJon3 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
   From what I recall seeing with a "Sketching Session" with Frank Cho at a comicbook convention a year ago, you could use very soft graphite (I use 2B -- Cho used 4B) and keep as little pressure on it as you lay out your drawing as possible, putting the pressure on only when laying down your finishing strokes.  At that point, you use a kneaded rubber eraser to pick up the lighter lines without doing too much to what you want to keep on the page.
What-about-chris Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Thanks everyone
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm afraid you can't do anything to correct this... In fact it works so well that I've used this technics to create some brighter texture in some of my drawings =D
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
If you engrained into the bristol, nothing you can really do about it. If you need to erase pencil marks, the best way is to use white eraser, or even better would be an eletric eraser.
:iconm-j-gagne:
M-J-Gagne Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I just normally used a standard kneadable eraser. Occasionally a GUM eraser if I am really trying to get something out (but mostly for coloured pencil drawings). I would also recommend an electric eraser. They use little rubber nibs. You can by the professional ones at art stores or cheaper ones from discount stores like the Dollar Store for starting. If there are lines I can see its usually not a big deal for me because once the artwork is done you can barely see them if at all.
:iconorion12212012:
Orion12212012 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have an old SANFORD non abrasive non smudging Vinyl for erasing drafting film that works on "some" things. Have to be careful and maybe file it down to the size of your pencil lines. You don't want to just start rubbing away with the eraser because your paper will loose the tooth and the shading will be hard to match. Its an artwork in its self correcting work ~lol~. Erasers that you can peel away may work. The indention your pencil made on the paper may be visible once erased after graphite gets in that area. If that happens. Take your time and fill in that area the best you can.
:iconambr0:
AmBr0 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
Did you try with the electric eraser? For me that is the best for cleaning in bristol.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Bristol board is bad about that.

Not really much you can do, the graphite is deep in the paper and getting it out tends to tear the paper up, too.
What-about-chris Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
ok thanks
Add a Comment: