Closed to new replies
November 17, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

Copic Markers....

:icondragonnerd445:
Dragonnerd445 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012   General Artist
Are they worth buying? I've heard they're excellent but also expensive. I'm apprehensive of buying into something I might not like...especially for such a high price. D:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkomiru:
komiru Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
I have a few copic markers, not many. But what I suggest is you use copic ciao first. They don't have as many colors as the copic sketch markers but they are also double ended like the sketch. Another thing is the ciao markers are cheaper than the sketch.

When I was searching up information I found this to be the cheapest place to buy them: carpediemstore.com
(also just so you know if you add the markers to the cart they are cheaper than what they list. I don't know why they do that).

If anything on the colors it all depends on what you draw. You may just want to buy your own instead of a set that way you get to pick the colors.

[link] <---This artist is a copic marker user and these are her favorite markers. It also gives you an idea of what some of the markers (obviously not all) look like.

Oh and if you are doing outlines or inking make sure you get waterproof ink! Most ink pens are that way now. If your willing to spend the money copic also has copic multiliner pens which are pretty nice to.

Hopefully that helps somewhat. :D Good luck!
:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
I got 144 copic ciao markers all at once...and it was love at first use. The only flaw is that ink runs out a little on the quick side. However they are refillable, which I love. :)

Most of the stuff in my gallery like:

are done with copic marker and colored pencil. :)

Terryl Whitlatch (if you dont know who she is, she did concept art for Star Wars) uses copic marker for her creature designs....They're amazing.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
They worth it if you use markers.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
just buy one or two and play around. you will probably find that they are, in fact, excellent.
:iconsanguinediamond:
SanguineDiamond Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
I got a 12 pack for Christmas, full of the basic color, about $60, I don't use them to often, but they are really good quality, and are fun to work with!
:icontrickster91:
Trickster91 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012   Traditional Artist
In my opinion they are worth buying. They are refillable and one refill bottle can refill a sketch marker up to 10 times or so.

When I started buying copics I just bought 3 or 4 of them that are in the same family (blending) group to see if I would like them. Well now I have around 170. But that was buying them in a period of about 3 years individually. :)
Dragonnerd445 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012   General Artist
That's a good idea. :) Thanks.
:icontrickster91:
Trickster91 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012   Traditional Artist
No problem. :)
:iconafter--life:
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Digital Artist
It is worth it as much as you desire for it. ;)
:iconvisaga:
visaga Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yep, I borrowed some before and let me tell you, I'm jelly of my friend :lol:
:icondutchorca:
DutchOrca Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
In my opinion with Copics you get what you pay for; amazing quality. I have both Copics and Prismacolors and I rarely use the Prisma's. For me, they don't flow nearly as smooth and seem to smell worse than the Copics.

I started out with 10 Copic colors when my favorite artsupply-site had an offer. I fell in love with them then but they were still expensive. So I kept an eye on eBay and managed to pick up an entire set of Ciao Copics for less than half price. Since then I bought about 60 loose Sketch markers(which I prefer) in auctions for less then the usual price.

There are sellers on eBay who sell custom sets, like a skin tone, pastel, manga or a nature set with specific colors. Maybe those are worth looking at for you?

They do take some getting used too, I have only been using them consistently the past year and learned a lot. Look at tutorials; here, videos on Youtube, the Copic website and try out new things. It did wonders for me :)
:iconspiderscircus:
SpidersCircus Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've not personally tried any Copics aside from the Ciao ones(which I loved those, but the ink doesn't last long), but currently I'm using Chromatix markers, which are an alchohol based marker and oh man, that conbined wtih Prismacolour pencils=beautiful outcome.

This is a picture of one of the characters from my book, and I coloured this with Prismas and Chromatix

After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Dang that's good.
:iconspiderscircus:
SpidersCircus Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks. =3
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student Digital Artist
^.^
:iconchopper481:
chopper481 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
I've never used them, because they're so expensive, but I've seen people do amazing stuff with them. Like all mediums, they'll take practice to get good at. :)
:iconnapoleon15:
Napoleon15 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Don't bother with Copics unless you can actually draw properly beforehand.
:iconim-promptu:
im-promptu Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have like a 72 pack of copic ciao ones, they're super expensive, about $200+ and after all my skin tones ran out it was difficult to draw stuff because I mainly draw people. The quality is amazing, it's definitely worth the investment if you're planning to stick with it for years.
:iconmrekul:
MrEkul Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
Copics are really good markers. Depending on your experience with using markers in general, they may or may not be too helpful. A lot of art supplies are like that. For example, look at paint. Paint is usually divided into three sections: academy, intermediate, professional. A beginner painter won't be able to tell the difference but a painter with a lot of experience will.
The same goes for markers.

So if you haven't used markers very much I would recommend trying Utrecht Design Markers first. They are a lot cheaper, but still of decent quality. Good luck!
:iconcourtneylynnwashburn:
CourtneyLynnWashburn Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Filmographer
I want to buy Copic but the price always makes me worried..... I tend to buy buy buy art supplies (Art hoarder? who me?) but i just can't get past the price of copic...... but i have always want to try them
:iconfreyv:
freyv Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Copics are great, but there are cheaper alternatives that work almost as good. Check out promarkers or prismacolors, they're much cheaper and give you almost the same control, and with some practice you can achieve just as good results. Remember that the tools are only as good as the artist using them :)
:icontremlin:
Tremlin Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
Well...I've seen them in action and they're awesome (they act like water colors, but you can control them, its amazing) but the price? Yah xD". Considering the fact that the 6 packs are $30 cheapest, and the beginner 24 pack they offer is $125 on the cheapest art site I know, its just ridiculous. It used to be reasonable because you could get the individual markers for cheaper than the packs, but now just one marker is $6 xD" So if you run out of one that's $6 more you have to pay ^^'
There is another brand called Prismacolor which, while not as nice as Copics, can achieve a similar effect if you use them correctly. They're a lot cheaper (24 set: [link]) and they offer a lot of sales, so they are a nice alternative to Copics. Also, if you do go the Copic route, Prismas would be a cheaper way to practice before making that investment.
The medium is what you make of it; you could make a beautiful work with Crayolas if you use them right. Paying for Copics is like buying a pure bred dog versus a mutt; one may be prettier but in the end they are both just dogs xD It all depends on what you want to invest in it :)
:iconblue-like-the-sky:
Blue-like-the-Sky Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Well I bought my Copic markers because I liked working with cheap markers but didn't really like the outcome, so for me they were definitly worth their price.
Dragonnerd445 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012   General Artist
Ah. What set did you start out with? I think there are a few 24 count packs for beginners.
:iconblue-like-the-sky:
Blue-like-the-Sky Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I think I started out with ten or so markers in colours I choose myself. If you get a better deal if you buy 24 I'd do that.
Add a Comment: