Closed to new replies
November 16, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Advice for framing?

:iconfallbird:
FallBird Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have a couple of paintings on flat canvases that I'm giving to people for christmas, and I would like to get them framed before giving them. But I'm not sure if I have to go someplace special and get them those expensive fitted frames or if I can just go to walmart or someplace and buy a frame there. Does anyone have experience with this? I just know I don't want glass in front of the picture.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmihaihen:
Mihaihen Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Make it yourself, it's easy and fun to do :D
:iconmeggierenee:
meggierenee Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Professional General Artist
It all depends on what size your work is. Everyone is giving great advice! I used to work in a frame shop, so I do a lot of my own framing. If cost is an issue, sometimes I go to Goodwill or other thrift/second hand stores to buy used frames, and then I paint them. I do that a lot actually. They usually turn out pretty nice. Also, if I'm not working with stretched canvas, I always make sure my work is a standard size, or that it can be matted to a standard size. Custom framing can get super expensive! Good luck! :)
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Depends on the size of the canvas. If it's a standard size you can pick up frames just about anywhere. If it's custom, you'll need to go to a frame or craft store and have them cut them for you, or make one yourself.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
[link]

The cheap frames don't have glass, but they might have a clear plastic film that looks like glass. You don't need to use that, just the frame.
Don't buy the thin black frames because you can't see if the corner is broken until after you buy it, and when one is broken then all the same size is broken in the same place.

It is not hard to find cheap frames at Walmart.
:iconslategreen:
slategreen Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I stretch my work on stretcher bars for the most part. But when I do need a frame, especially for a canvas that has odd dimensions, I'll get a larger frame at walmart, and cut matte board to fit, then cut a window in the matte board for the original artwork to show through. Usually art stores will cut the window matte for you at no extra cost (when you buy the matte board from them), and the walmart frames are always much less expensive than custom framing. You can take out the glass if you don't like it.
:iconfallbird:
FallBird Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks so much! (:
:iconslategreen:
slategreen Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
No problem. :)
Add a Comment: