Closed to new replies
November 16, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Gesture Drawing

:icongui-mps:
Gui-mps Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Is Gesture Drawing recommended only for people with a certain level of skill, or should I start with it?
I'm really bad with body proportions, should I start doing gesture drawings, or I need to practice something first?

Thanks =D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconyusakujon3:
YusakuJon3 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
   I'd suggest getting a couple of books on drawing.  For instance, comic strip artist Byrne Hogarth came up with a series that includes Drawing Dynamic Hands, which gives you some good pointers on how to construct the human hand, which forms the basic framework for the guestures that you're learning to draw.  It also helps to have a mirror handy, as your own hand can serve as a model.
:iconpeytonjune:
PeytonJune Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
In my art class we are FORCED to do gesture drawings.

I think that they're useful, especially for beginners.

But, like people said before, it doesn't work as well with photos.
:iconwereo:
Wereo Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
Photos are okay to use if you don't have access to a live model. The whole point of gesture drawing is that the speed forces you to only focus on the anatomy of whatever you're drawing rather than the detail of the overall subject. Pose-maniacs is a pretty useful site,since it does just that plus the 3D technology gives it a more realistic approach. Although I do suggest taking a life drawing class in the future, the guidance of an instructor and being involved in an artistic environment can be helpful and motivational.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional General Artist
Gesture drawings are fine at any skill level. They're used mostly as a warm-up and/or to get a sense of the pose or gesture of the figure. You're supposed to work very quickly, no more than 5 minutes, getting a basic idea of the form down. In life-drawing classes, they're often done at the beginning of the session, with the model changing poses in quick succession. If your goal is to improve proportions, they're not really going to help you there. At most, they'll get you comfortable with drawing the figure and getting an overall sense of how it works.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
if you do it make sure you have a live model. It doesn't really work with photos.
:icongui-mps:
Gui-mps Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks for your reply! Well, I thought that sites like posemaniacs and artists.pixelovely were good...
:iconschnitty:
Schnitty Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist
If photos are the only thing available to you at the moment, you can use those.
That's how I do a lot of my gesture drawings because I'm not able to go to live drawing(?) classes.
Add a Comment: