Closed to new replies
November 16, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Web-comic help

:iconshiarey:
ShiaRey Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I thought on starting a webcomic, someone who can tell me the best way to start one and keep it going? I have made 2 pages but I have no inspiration for it anymore, any suggestions?
It is about dragons, since I love to draw them, but I just do not have the inspiration as told.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkiwatec:
KiwaTec Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
There is a way, professionals use it, but I don't, because I'm not^^ - this is for a long-time comic -

Every comic/movie/cartoon has it's history -> Don't draw, first write it - It can help you a lot in many things - that also solve your inspiration problem^^

Separate your history in chapters, the chapters in pages, every page is unique, every character is too, thats why people keep saying that you must have an oc that you can recognize just by its silhouette or talk.

Don't start it with 2 pages, you must keep in mind that your watchers will want to see a regularity -> sketch 10, get 2 or 3 done as a guaranty

As a tv show, every page must contain something that will make the watchers wanting to see what comes next! -> Don't try to tell all the history at once

You want to see an example of it? I have one,
Watch this video, it's from an animation movie, you can see how organized it is ^^ ->[link]
Skip to 6:45, you'll see, even a movie is a comic!

note that the artists who play the character's voices record them before the movie is even started, that's because its a written history! - YOU SEE, ALMOST NO ONE BOOK IS MADE AFTER A MOVIE, THE MOVIE IS MADE BY THE BOOK!

Seeing all the video process, you'll note that there are no secrets to make a successful web-comic, movie, anything! You just have to be organized, creative (not all the time) and to have a control of what is going on in the history and how you can model it!^^
:iconkiwatec:
KiwaTec Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
There is a way, professionals use it, but I don't, because I'm not^^ - this is for a long-time comic -

Every comic/movie/cartoon has it's history -> Don't draw, first write it - It can help you a lot in many things - that also solve your inspiration problem^^

Separate your history in chapters, the chapters in pages, every page is unique, every character is too, thats why people keep saying that you must have an oc that you can recognize just by its silhouette or talk.

Don't start it with 2 pages, you must keep in mind that your watchers will want to see a regularity -> sketch 10, get 2 or 3 done as a guaranty

As a tv show, every page must contain something that will make the watchers wanting to see what comes next! -> Don't try to tell all the history at once

You want to see an example of it? I have one,
Watch this video, it's from an animation movie, you can see how organized it is ^^ ->[link]
Skip to 6:45, you'll see, even a movie is a comic!

note that the artists who play the character's voices record them before the movie is even started, that's because its a written history! - YOU SEE, ALMOST NO ONE BOOK IS MADE AFTER A MOVIE, THE MOVIE IS MADE BY THE BOOK!

Seeing all the video process, you'll note that there are no secrets to make a successful web-comic, movie, anything! You just have to be organized, creative (not all the time) and to have a control of what is going on in the history and how you can model it!^^
:iconegypturnash:
egypturnash Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
1. Give your main character a goal.
2. Put an obstacle in their way.
3. Repeat.

Ideally your secondary characters also have goals. Some of their goals should align with the main character. Some of their goals should be in opposition to them - a couple of dragons might be constantly feuding over whose hoard is the biggest, for instance, and going off on all kinds of crazy adventures to enlarge their hoard. Or maybe one of them has princess problems. Or prince problems. Or maybe one of them is in love with a kraken. Maybe one of them is afraid of flying and another wants to help them learn. Maybe a young dragon wants to prove him/herself by razing their first town. Maybe one of them is looking for love. Etc, etc. Some goals come out of things specific to the characters; some goals are pretty applicable to any sentient being.

Make sure your main character is fun to draw. And relatively easy to draw - you'll be drawing him or her several times for every single page. Are they expressive? Can you easily convey emotions with them? If not, you need to spend some time redesigning them.

I wouldn't advocate having the entire story written out beforehand. But if it's a long-form comic, then you should have SOME idea of where the story's going to end up. On my current project, I knew where I was starting, and I knew where I want to end it; once I'd spent a little time with the main character, I had a bunch of questions to ask myself and to answer in the story.
:iconcbwebb:
cbwebb Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
Best way to start and keep it going is to have the subject matter/story be something that first and foremost maintains inspiration in conjunction with the discipline of just sitting down and working. If it's lost only two pages in, then chances are you probably shouldn't bother making a webcomic out of it.

Also, seconding above that if you ARE inspired enough to carry through, write the story first. It makes the actual drawing portion of it much easier.
:iconisho13:
Isho13 Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What do you mean by 'I have no inspiration for it anymore'? You should have all the story carefully written and planned, and then just draw it e-e
:iconhero58:
Hero58 Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well a good idea to start it off is simple. Is it a romance, adventure, action? Ect. Whose the villain/rival of the main character? What do they want? What should the person do to prevent that or make it succeed, depending on if the character is good or evil. What struggles would the character go through, does he or she have any companions? What are the character's companions like in personality wise? Ect Ect.
Add a Comment: