Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

What is this style?

:iconmas-umi:
Mas-umi Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Hey, I am very interested in the style used by tobiee in this picture:
[link]

I don't know why, but I love it. What style would you describe it. More than just a Digital sketch of anime. Do you guys have any more examples of this kind of work.

I'm not sure if I'm asking a very dumb question, but I am trying to find my Influences. This style would be one of the main ones. So I am interested into finding more.
Thanks guys,

Mas

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Mas-umi Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Also, is there a certain name for the why he colored this picture? It it cel shading?
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
It is cell shading basically if you want to got with the finite traditional way. Cell shading is pretty much animation that is animate on cells, hence cell shading.

There is a bit of a tweak though that isn't traditional, which is the gradinets. I don't think in old cell animations, blurry or gradients in a shading isn't possible, unless its for like ilustration purposes.

But for now, its just cell shading basically.
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
And also check illustrators too.
Oh yea, udon, and Atlus are also colorful, but still not the exact same as the picture you described.

Some indie comics might come to mind also, but can't remeber which ones. There is a lot on Da.
It would normally fall under cartooning and especially anime, but its hard to determine what else. Then again visually, the proportions look close to what they would use in concept art. Rarely I see anime using a smaller head like that used in anime. Some games like phonix wright, kingdom hearts, but color wise is not even close. Im pretty sure if you look at alot of pixv, you'll bound to find something simular. Or even anipan has a bunch of anime stuff.

You could also try piling thorough my watches and faves. ALot of anime stuff there.
Thanks again for the response :D. I will absolutely check out those artists.
Haha sorry for the spam. I just found new results every time and I couldn't resist the reply button.
Haha no problem. The more info the better ;)
Thanks!
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
It falls under the big,big umbrella of cartooning. The way the lines are used and the expression reminds me of Kenichi Yoshida. [link]
Yoshida seems inspired by European cartoonists, a trait he shares with both Hayao Miazaki and Naoki Urasawa.

You might also want to check out Capcom artists like Kinu Nishimura (Street Fighter, 999, Code of Princess). She has a similar kind of dynamic, yet light expression and sweet use of line and color.
[link]
Thank you, this helps me quite a lot. I am beginning to see more of an area of diverse styles that I am very interested in, rather than one particular style. This gives me a huge jump on researching my influences and diving deeper into the things that inspire me.
So again, thanks!
Add a Comment: