Closed to new replies
November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 48

Why did you start doing art?

:iconcnids:
Cnids Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Most people seem to draw as kids, but then the desire drops off after some point. Did you draw consistently, or stop and pick it back up? How come?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhowlingwolf246:
Howlingwolf246 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I drew as a kid in elementary school. Didn't stop drawing really but I never really got too serious about it 'till I got older
:iconhgwizard:
HGWizard Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I've been off and on with it since I was a wee tot!

I do it for the same reason I like to make music and exercise, because it's fun!
:icondefor:
DeFor Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student
I never stopped drawing. I had nothing better to do.
:iconscribblebees:
ScribbleBees Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Even when I was in kindergarten, I was writing and illustrating little stories during recess or at daycare. It's just something that's always been in me... I don't have as much time for art lately because college eats my life, but I'm getting back into it, and it's horribly refreshing.
Cnids Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
We used to have these things in my elementary school we called "Published Books" where we would write small stories, do illustrations, and then have the teacher coil-bind them. They were very exciting!
:iconscribblebees:
ScribbleBees Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Ah, yes! My middle school did writing and art anthologies, and they accepted pretty much everything... I submitted to two of them, and I think that I had over ten poems in one of them, ahaha. What can I say; I was ambitious...
:iconfranxiscano:
franxiscano Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
when i was a child, that was my past time, it was my first love, i remember when i was in grade school, i represent my district school to compete in painting/drawing....i paint until college time, but when i was begin to work, painting faded coz of busy life...suddenly, my sister gave me a gift acrylic paint & watercolor last 2010, i was not using it for almost to years, 2 weeks ago, my wife want to buy wall decor(paintings) in a shopping mall, its so expensive!!!.... i told to my wife, i can do that for you, she didnt know i was painting..hahaha, last weekend, im looking the acrylic paint the gift of my sister, and i begin to paint again, now im done to my first piece, my wife is so happy....

-the funny thing is, i make my own easel stand(DIY).

IM NEWBIE HERE....just a minute ago, more power devianART
:iconmcrfan343:
Mcrfan343 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I always had an interest in art. I just enjoying making stuff in general.
:iconzingam:
Zingam Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I simply do not know because it was so long ago. I was barely able to hold the pen but decades later I still like to draw (do "art"). I am not a professional and I may not be even good but I hope to do art when I retire and until I die and I hope that by then I'll be good.
Cnids Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I have a similar sort of mentality. Hopefully by the time I croak I'll have produced something worthwhile and lasting!
:icondebra-marie:
Debra-Marie Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Because it makes me happy :)
Cnids Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That's a wonderfully pure outlook. =)
:icondebra-marie:
Debra-Marie Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
:D
:icontakemakei:
TakemaKei Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
i just draw for classes during my school years, and draw some pics for our yearbook. I didnt get serious until about 2 years ago. Now i am getting myself to draw more, do some studies, and get myself good enough for jobs. I myself do computer science and digital media coz i'm interested in games, but now i kind of know what I really want to do.
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Hopefully to make money one day either on the side or a full time career. That's why I STARTED anyway, but I realized years ago that shit wasn't going to happen and just digressed to debauchery cause it's fun. :D I do want to make logos for companies still though...
:iconamethyst49:
Amethyst49 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I've enjoyed drawing things since I was a young child, whether it be imaginary stick figures or sketches of my favourite superheroes or TV characters. I've always taken great pleasure in just creating something - bringing images in my head to life on paper :D!

In more recent years my love for art has really blossomed; I've taken to drawing much more intricate portraits of people - sometimes still life or flowers - and now that I own a tablet (woohoo!!) I take a lot of joy in drawing digitally too! :D

I suppose art has always been something I've loved doing, and through different mediums like Photoshop and GIMP I've developed an even deeper desire to be more prolific with my inner artistic thoughts. Also, I just LOVE how I can sit down and lose myself in my art for 6 hours, and come out with a much more relaxed state of mind and a souvenir of my "journey" so to speak.
:iconpeytonjune:
PeytonJune Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I drew since I was little, and never stopped.

I guess I continued because it was the only thing I didn't suck at. Both my siblings are the best in our school sports wise, and I wanted something of my own to excel at.
:iconeulalisa:
eulalisa Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student
i honestly don't know what made me get back into drawing. i used to feel so untalented and hated art lessons in school, because i'd always be pissed off by the kids who drew better than me. i used to only dream of being an artist when i was 9, but never really tried. and one day i did. i'm glad i did. also, because i'm clinically depressed and my therapist told me to find a way to express my feelings. now, i feel art is where i belong.
Cnids Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Art is a really great way to sort out your emotions; it's awesome that you've found it helpful.
:iconwillowstream:
Willowstream Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I guess I've always been drawing, but I never really got serious until, in middle school, my class had this really awful homeroom teacher. No one would pay attention to him and he didn't do much teaching. I'd bring books to class and just read all day long :D then, the year after, I found it really hard to focus in class - because before, the minute I got bored I'd just open a book and ignore my teacher, but I couldn't do that anymore. So instead, I started doodling like crazy and making drawings in class. I think I improved a lot that year and I've been actively drawing ever since :>
Cnids Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Sometimes I find I pay attention better if I've got something to doodle on. :D
:iconwillowstream:
Willowstream Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Exactly~! And it's more fun, too :3
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
I never had a drop off in the desire. I have drawn for as long as I can remember, and just kept branching out into other areas as well.
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
I've been drawing all my life
:iconxaotherion:
xaotherion Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
I remember that as a kid I hated the art lessons in school, cause drawing was never my thing. Bit later, I became vaguely interested in 3D graphics, mostly because of computer games. But I didn't have the time/free mental resources/good enough computer back then to do anything about it.

Much later, I found myself unemployed, and had to find myself something absorbing to keep my mind busy. Trying out the 3D seemed like a good option, the conditions were right, and it kinda went on from there.
:iconnotebook-queen:
Notebook-Queen Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i never stoped as a kid i just kept going, idk y i just did maybe as a way of expresing myself or just out of boredom idk
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
I haven't reached the drop the off point yet.
Like a bus journey with a bus stop :sing:
:icondraze:
draze Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012   Traditional Artist
I started because I was the only kid in kindergarten who could draw.
:iconwyckeddreamsdesigns:
WyckedDreamsDesigns Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
I drew and wrote when I was younger because I had things to say and never could voice exactly what that was.So..my artwork became my voice and my writing became my emotions....Artwork saved my mind from insanity.
Cnids Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I feel the opposite with the "insanity" thing; I think art has made me a little bit nuts sometimes. =P

Either that or I've just become odd and my work has mirrored that.
:iconwyckeddreamsdesigns:
WyckedDreamsDesigns Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
lmao..ohh im not saying im not insane..lol just that art has allowed me show it off to it's full extent.:-) im plenty crazy..lol
:iconfreyv:
freyv Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I've drawn since I was a kid and I just never stopped. I started using most of my time drawing because I had no friends and got no attention, so I started drawing make-believe friends and people seemed to give me more attention as I got better. It's like a drug.
Cnids Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Art definitely is a conversation starter. I know I have a hard time drawing in a semi-public to public location because people are always very interested (and sometimes critical!) of what you're doing.
:iconclaremanson:
claremanson Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
i have always drawn but stopped completely when i discovered baking and food photography as i have never been any good at drawing so have always experimented in different areas, drawing, digital art, manips, general photography until i found the art i love now two years ago.
:iconcolourfulcatastrophe:
colourfulcatastrophe Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm only 18 but I've been drawing since I can remember, I draw because it makes me happy..to be able to put down on paper the thoughts and things of my imagination and view of the world...I used to just do it for me, to relieve stress, to feel creative to dream and draw those dreams.....if it makes other people happy too then its a bonus.it wasn't untillast year i decided, that even though art will only be a hobby, I want to improve....I can't imagine ever losing my love for art, if i ever do, It'll be a sad day in my life
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional General Artist
I stopped and picked it up again.

I actually didn't draw beside schoolwork during my primary school years. I don't have any drawings saved from that period because our teachers took all the drawings that were good :(
In high school I stopped drawing almost completely, because I didn't think I was "talented enough". Then when I was 17 I dated this guy who is an artist and showed him some of my doodles and my first shaded digital drawing, and he was like "Whoa, I didn't know you're that good!" and I was like "I didn't know I was good either?" and then I figured maybe I should draw more.

I had several long pauses (of over a year) in the meantime, but I put my "beginning year" around the year 2005. because that's when I made my first quasi-serious attempts at drawing something that took more than an hour to finish...
:iconxyires:
Xyires Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've drawn a lot when I was younger but never took it as serious until around 15-16. I mostly enjoy drawing because I really enjoy being able to put my ideas onto paper. Considering I do 3D modelling as well, having visual references helps a lot so it only makes drawing more important for myself. :)
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I did draw every single day as a kid, but as I got older... I slowly became more frustrated over my lack of skills and eventually stopped drawing.
At that time I focused more on writing and other kind of creativity, though. So it wasn' t that bad.
Eventually a few years passed and I started drawing again, due to the stress of university graduation ^^
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I've always drawn, and always enjoyed it, but only started taking it seriously when I was 12-13 or so. :meow:
:icontakemakei:
TakemaKei Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I draw when I was little, and then due to influence of friends, not drawing so much, until 2 years ago. That time, I made some friends who draw, but not until one of my friend's start drawing, and then i draw something out of fun, and then... here I am.
:icongnawedbones:
GnawedBones Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Started drawing animals from old reference books at my grandads until he died, then felt like I should try and branch out because that was something he would of liked, so I've been drawing until now. Though I did once take a break for about two years where all I did was writing.
:iconmrekul:
MrEkul Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
I've always been drawing here and there. But I didn't decide to take it seriously until I was a junior in high school (16 years old). Since then I've had a couple times when I just fell off the horse a bit though. I wish I was able to keep the motivation with me all the time to be able to draw for hours a day. Even today I struggle with consistency, but I'm improving.
:icongamaman705:
Gamaman705 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
I was heavily influenced by the art on the cartoons I was watching, I watched the old cartoons on MTV and the original Teletoon at night which I guess helped me shape my humor and I guess I just started and kept it up. There isn't a time I remember where I wasn't drawing.
:iconchaosfay:
ChaosFay Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional General Artist
I grew up around art, so really...it's so ingrained in me that I didn't start it. It's a part of me. I can't imagine life without creating art of some kind.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional General Artist
Competition lol. I was very competitive with my cousin. She start drawing seriously when I was 13 (she was 16). She bought me the same book she started with. I wanted to draw better then her so I dedicated all of my time to drawing. But then it turned into something more. I realized I had a real talent for it.
:iconsangrde:
Sangrde Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I started drawing seriously just a few years ago. I only wish I started earlier like other young artists in my age,.;w; so it makes me sad when their passion drops off at some point, cause it's like giving up their talent away : (
:icontouya-dono:
touya-dono Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I took some art classes in school and decided I wanted to be better, but that it would only be a hobby, so I bought some books and taught myself to draw over a few years. Then I got a tablet and had to learn to use that and I now really like digital art and learn new things every day, traditional media will be fun for me forever though :)
:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student General Artist
I originally was a culinary arts student from my freshman year of high school to the beginning of junior year. ( I'm now a senior) And at the beginning of junior year I got into a fight and was suspended and culinary really fucked with my peace of mind in general. So my guidance counselor one day asked me if I wanted to visit the graphic design shop and so I did and joined, and my teacher was an illustrator and he was the one who taught me a lot about painting and drawing. So yeah.
Add a Comment: