Closed to new replies
November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Pencils!

:iconwandereratheart:
WandererAtHeart Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
My favorite medium is colored pencils and I have a nice set of prismacolor pencils which I loooovee, but I was wondering if anyone has tried the Caran d'Ache Pablo colored pencils.

I saw them on Blick's website and thought they looked really nice and I always start salivating at the sight of new pencils but they're so expensive so I wanted to know if they're really worth what I'm hearing they are.

Also if you have any artwork using those pencils feel free to post them. From what I hear most people just use them on the top layers for vibrancy to make the pencil last longer because they're so expensive.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconxnatje:
xNatje Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
I have the caran d'ache pencils, both the normal as a few watercolor pencils. They are my favorite brand.
:iconjuujuna:
Juujuna Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student General Artist
I have a few Caran d'Ache colored pencils and they're great! Their pigment is very strong, so the color comes out really vivid. Too bad mine aren't watercolor pencils.
I can't say much more or compare it with other brands because I don't work with traditional media too often, but they're good quality for sure.
Okay thanks :)I'm glad to know the reviews I saw weren't just to help sell!

Just after I posted this I actually stopped by Blick's and bought a couple sample ones and completed my collection of prismas. I can't wait to try them out against my prismas.
:iconjuujuna:
Juujuna Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student General Artist
No problem!
I hope they were worth it :D
:iconwilwhalen:
WilWhalen Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Never heard of them before now. The only thing that really sound that alluring about them is that they're water insoluble, so you can use them with watercolor. They didn't seem to have a clearer or more vibrant finish on their own than Prismas did from what I saw. Can't imagine they're worth the huge price hike over the already expensive Prismas, unless you really need them for that specific application.
I hadn't heard of them either before the other day and neither had my art teacher. I'll have to try mixing them with watercolors when I get my samples to see how well that works. If I don't love them in comparison to my prismas though there's no way I'm buying a set.
Add a Comment: