Closed to new replies
November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

About Art Books

:iconvenneta:
Venneta Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Do you know any art book project that's currently open for submission?
Please let me know if you do :XD:

Also..
What do you think of art books in particular? Would you spend your money on them? Why do you think you should?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
And to answer your question, I love artbooks, I have many and I continue to buy new ones every year =P
The only problem is availability of some in France making their price really expensive....
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The computer graphic society have a new art book every year =) The Exposť series by Ballistic Publishing. They also make art book with contest winners of CGS... Exposť is really something of the highest quality :thumbsup:
[link]
:icontakemakei:
TakemaKei Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
What do you think of art books in particular? Would you spend your money on them? Why do you think you should?

I love artbooks. I have a stash of them. and I look at them in my free time. They are much better to spend money on than comics.
Its good for eye candy, and its also good for reference, inspiration, anything like that. And of course, supporting the artists that i love.
:iconwilwhalen:
WilWhalen Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
"What do you think of art books in particular? "
I love them, and wish more contemporary artists would put them out. I can see why they don't, but there's nothing I love more than an art book where the artist talks about their processes throughout it, be it design, art making, or just thought processes. I can take or leave ones that just have the pictures - they can be nice, but the Blizzard art books bore me since there's nothing but images on pages. Ideally (for me) there's some text explaining or just talking about what the image is.

"Would you spend your money on them?"
I would, can, and do.

"Why do you think you should?"
Especially when I know some or most of the money is going to the artist, I like to support the things and people I like, so they can keep making the things I like. Art books are generally more comprehensive than what you can find online, especially in the fine art circles - see Phil Hale's GOAD for example - probably between 40-50 paintings you cannot see online. Roberto Ferri's is the same way, I've heard. Seems less common with collections of older artists, though more obscure ones may have less of an online presence. Really though, having nice reproductions in a physical format beats out a web res graphic any day. Some artists release higher res stuff so you can scope it out, but many do not.
:iconslategreen:
slategreen Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Love 'em. Yes, I buy them. Usually at used bookstores, but I have far more art books on my shelves than novels, and many of them I bought new. I like books better than surfing the 'net, particularly if there are pictures, because computer screens don't always do the work a service.

As for art books, Spectrum ([link]) is open for submissions.
:iconm-j-gagne:
M-J-Gagne Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Do you mean books on how to do art (for instance, how to draw), or books that are showcases for other people's art? I taught myself how to draw using books, and with great results. So yes I do and would buy more how to books. I often find myself referencing them periodically, so its not like I buy them, consult them once, and then put them on a shelve to never be looked at again.
:iconvenneta:
Venneta Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I meant books that are showcases for other people's art ^^
I love how-to-books too. They're extremely helpful.
:icontrickster91:
Trickster91 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012   Traditional Artist

If it's a subject matter that I like, and I really really like the art in it, then yeah I would buy them. I have an 'Art of Princess Mononoke' book and an 'Art of Pocahontas' that I like to look at for inspiration or for working on backgrounds. Like what was said before they are on the expensive side, so for me I really want to make sure I want it before I buy it, or put it on a Christmas/birthday list. :)
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012

I think art books obsolete. They made sense before the internet, when your options, if you wanted to see a lot of art by a single artist, was to either attend their gallery show or buy their book. But now, you can go to their website. It's easier than ordering something, and it's free. The only thing you don't get from a website is a pile of cheap prints that will be hidden behind the covers anyway. Whoop-de-doo.
So, no, I wouldn't spend my money on an art book.
:iconnosf3:
nosf3 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
if you'd ever open books you'd know that there's a lot of stuff in there that's NOT available for free on the internet.
Add a Comment: