Closed to new replies
November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Commissions?

:iconquadren4:
quadren4 Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I want to know some tips and tricks when it comes to doing commissions. I think my Art skill is a the level that I want it to be in order to start selling my services. Only think is, I have no clue where to start :\

All I know is that I want to have REAL money, SO I was thinking of using Paypal for monetary transactions. Though, someone told me that someone is easily able to retrack their payment from Paypal (if they don't have an account).

Also, I don't really know where to turn to promote myself (I would be thinking one way would be through submissions, whenever I submit art, I can put something in the description).

Please, if anyone has some advice I could follow, before getting into this, I would greatly appreciate it :D (also if anyone has any additional tips, I would love to hear them!)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblizzr:
BlizzR Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student General Artist
Haha, this will be the second time I'm posting the same comment. I hope it helps you out, too! :D

Let me share something very useful with you :D

I'm pretty much a beginner on this matter too, so don't worry. This have helped me a LOT: Commission Guide by DarlingMionette - [link]

I think she covers pretty much all you need to know about how to start in this market And if you have any doubts the tutorial didn't cover, you can ask her and she'll reply rather quick :D

Hope it helps you as well as it did for me! :)

Take care! :dance:

sorry for any mistakes. My english needs polishing...
quadren4 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks!
The guide looks like it contains great promise (though the link was broken D: so I just Googled it :P)
I thank you for sharing such a thing with me, and hope that you becomes a great commissioner as well :D

Also, your English is pretty solid! Then again, I'm not one to pick on others just because they left out a comma or something; I am not a grammer nazi :D

BlizzR Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student General Artist
You're very welcome! :D :hug:

Sorry, about that, I didn't copy the link properly, haha. My bad ^^;

Thanks! I hope you become a great commissioner too! :D I saw your gallery, and I can certainly say that you sure can check off the minimum "requirements" to start doing commissions. Your pieces are awesome.

I wish you best of lucks! :dance:
quadren4 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks! Means a lot to hear someone (rather in this case, see, can't hear computer words xP) say that about my art :)
Your art is very great as well! (I think you're more than capable to do some great character commissions!)
Don't mind if I +watch you, do you? Hope not xP
BlizzR Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student General Artist
Oh my, thank you! I don't mind at all, haha :D

I've contempled the idea lately, as I started to draw way more frequently this last months :) I think I'll start doing some commissions in the near future! :dance: but first I'll practice a little to get more conffident about it :)

Thanks for the compliment! And you're very welcome! :glomp:

Hope you get lots of commisions and have fun while doing them! :dance:
:iconrokulie:
rokulie Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012   Traditional Artist
To promote yourself, there are a bunch of groups here on DA for people offering commissions, so you could join those. I find that the best way to find work is to network with people (online and at conventions or fairs) and just generally be friendly and open. I notice that the people with the most work are the most social and most involved with other artists and art appreciators, even if their work isn't that great.
quadren4 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yea, I've taken a notice to the whole "Social people have alot of watchers." Sadly I'm not one of those types of people :C I wish I was, but nope. Guess I could start looking for some special groups
:iconwilwhalen:
WilWhalen Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
The long short of it is if people aren't already asking you, you aren't ready.

Put up a notice that you're willing to do them, and that's pretty much all you can do that isn't joining the teeming horde of people in your shoes. Posting in Job Services can't hurt, but you're basically fighting over pennies, since most people in there are advertising 'working' for dollars at a time. Hone your craft, decide how serious about art as a career you are, and go from there. If this is something you want to pursue long term, forget about commissions for now unless you are approached about them, and spend as much time as you can doing studies and seeing what the pros in the field you want to go into are doing.

There just isn't any money in dredging around for commissions for low to mid tier artists anymore (I don't know that there ever really was.) Too many people in that tier are willing to work for free or so cheap it isn't even worth it. You basically have to do the same to compete.
quadren4 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
"The long short of it is if people aren't already asking you, you aren't ready."

Sorry, but that's probably the most il-logical thing about your post; that's like saying if girls aren't coming up to ask you out, then you aren't ready to date :P My art may not be DAILY DEVIATION worth, but it's still worth something, and I put time and effort into it; what more do people need? (it doesn't look like someone made it in MS paint either).

The whole, no money for the mid tier artist and me working for free, is probably the one that rings the most true. Kinda sad it is.

Thanks for the reply, but I am starting to think it's all in the marketing, because I've seen some artist (that aren't really all above my level) get SOME income from their art and commisions. There's always a way, and for the time being I am going to stay as postivite as I possibly can.

plus, I don't really want art to be my "career." I consider it just a hobby.
:iconpurpllamas:
Purpllamas Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student General Artist
You can try advertising in Job Services, if you're looking for real money only.
Add a Comment: