Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 14, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 1

Any working artists/people with art jobs?

:icondenaliah:
Denaliah Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012   General Artist
I'm currently an art college student who needs to prepare for getting a job in the art world. Right now I'm trying to get some work experience but haven't gotten anything full time yet (just 2 part time art jobs and the odd freelance randomly). I would like to work for the entertainment industry as well as comics as either a 2D artist, concept artist, promotional illustrator or storyboard artist. I like character work but I can do environments and props. Others skills I have are graphic design and traditional painting.

I would love some stories/experiences from you working art professionals, any advice?

How did you break in the industry?
How long did it take you to get a first job?
What would you say companies look for the most?
What kind of training did you go through (can be school or self-taught)
If you went to art/design school, did it help and how much?
Best advice you were ever given?
Other comments?

Looking forward to all the interesting experiences you guys have!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontiereight:
tierEight Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm not a Professorial, but I'm trying to get into art school.

From what I've read on forums and other sites:

Breaking into the industry, you need to have connections. You can be really skilled, but if you don't have any contacts then it will be hard to break in.
The art schools in California have great connections, the school gets big companies to take a look at their students.
Getting your first job is about timing and luck. Know what the industry is looking for and when.
Companies would look for strong art background and versatility. Time management is important.

Read this about art schools>>>[link]

Here is a useful video where I got most of the info. (3 parts)
[link]
[link]
[link]
Add a Comment: