November 14, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

What do I need to do? Submitting an application for art school

:icon100wordlimit:
100wordlimit Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
The application requires
One 9" x 12" color-based composition on paper using a particular color theory. Label the name of that theory on the back of the work.
Now I'm a self taught artist so I haven't taken any classes yet, but I do have some knowledge of the color theory. I just want to know what exactly I should do. I know like how to draw and stuff I'm just not sure if they want like a specific palette with like secondary colors or something like that?

(Please note this is for highschool not collage)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional General Artist
~FriendlyHand found the answer to your question: [link]
"Students might consider a composition using, for example, a complementary, analogous, or monochromatic color scheme. Please be prepared to discuss your choice."

So basically, go to this web site: [link] and pick one of the possible options (mono, analogous, complementary...), and roll the colors around to get the scheme you can use.
This is also a useful tool: [link]
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
They want you to create a composition where your use of colour is the focal point of the piece. By particular theory, they mean the theories of specific artists or movement, beyond just the general colour theory explaining how light and pigment works, of how to get the greatest impact out of colour. Like pointillism or chiaroscuro.
:iconjuliefoodesigns:
JuliefooDesigns Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Like friendlyHand said.. i would call the school and ask them.
But also, that could be part of the test. Maybe the teacher is curious of what the student would come up with when saying the keyword "color theory"
most younger students may not know what that is, so that could be the test itself.

You've got a very unique style. Definitely stick with that. I went to an art college. the one thing the professors hate the most is anime. Don't draw anime and you're a shoe-in. :)
I've been trying to kick off the old anime shoes, I regret starting with that. Thank you c:
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hi,

Different schools may have specific guidelines that we cannot guess.
Do you mean a particular color theory chosen by you or one by them? Did they provide a list?

in order of importance:
1) If you received written instructions, check them for clarification
2) check the school website for more specific information
3) contact the admissions office at the high school if you need more specific information than the website can provide
4) do an internet search of the particular color theory or of color theory in general and make your decision.
This is what they asked for
One 9" x 12" color-based composition on paper using a particular color theory. Label the name of that theory on
the back of the work.
No list or anything, I just want someone to clairfiy on what they meant by color theory.
Hi,
Is that the EXACT wording on the application? Because it is my understanding that there is one generally accepted concept known as color theory and there are not multiple particular color theories from which you could choose one.
This is the paper work;
[link]
I'm applying for visual arts, this is the exact wording.
Hi,
Thanks for the link. It certainly does say that! I still find it confusing and personally I would contact the school for clarification.

Here's the wiki page for color theory: [link] and you can look up many other resources that discuss the topic. Maybe the application is referring to
3.1 Complementary colors
3.2 Warm vs. cool colors
3.3 Achromatic colors
3.4 Tints and shades
3.5 Split primary colors

but that is just a guess!
Hi again,

On the application form it says:
"Note: We strongly recommend that all applicants visit our Audition and Application Tips found on the school's website (www.scgsah.org) under Apply. Select High School, then Visual Arts for audition and application tips link."

Following that note, I went to the websites which says:
"The color-based composition: The color-based composition is intended to demonstrate the applicant's familiarity with color theory. Students might consider a composition using, for example, a complementary, analogous, or monochromatic color scheme. Please be prepared to discuss your choice.

So there you have it!
Add a Comment: