Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Doing a copyright law study; need your help

:iconicydash:
icydash Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
I hope I put this in the right forum section. If not, I apologize.

To all the artists out there: I'm doing a little Copyright law experiment and I'm interested in your input.

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can (and try to elaborate):
1. What kind of art do you create (music? images? videos? software? writing? etc...)?
2. Why do you create your art (personal satisfaction? monetary prospects? other?)?
3. Does it bother you when people share your works online? If you haven't experienced people actually sharing your works online, just speculate if it -would- bother you if this was happening. Of course, I'm talking about unauthorized sharing.
4. Do you care if your works are attributed to you?
5. Do you share other people's works online without their permission? If yes, why do you feel it's okay to do so?
6. Have you ever obtained a registered copyright from the U.S. Copyright Office to protect your works? If not, why not? If yes, what did you think of the Copyright registration process (too easy? too hard? didn't get it? too expensive? etc...)?
7. Have you ever taken the time to educate yourself on the basics of Copyright law as it applies to your works?

Thanks a lot folks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

icydash Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Anyone else? I need a lot more answers to be able to learn anything significant from the data.
icydash Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Because the software will directly benefit artists and its success is directly correlated to how the average person/artist views the current U.S. Copyright system, I'm not looking for legal commentary or scholarly insight. I'm more interested in why the average person creates their art, how they feel about it being spread across the internet, what rights they feel they have to that art, and the other questions I listed in my initial post.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Who knows, your insight might just lead to a better system that actually works the way it's supposed to...for everyone.
icydash Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Hi all, thanks for your comments.

The study is limited to the United States only.

To answer some of the questions: the purpose of the study is to see if there's a foundation out there for software I recently thought up. If there is, I may build the software and a company around it. I'll be using the information you provide here as a starting base to see if the problem that I think exists really exists. The compiled results of the study will not be online (other than on these forums), and may (but probably won't) be shown to investors to prove that there is a need out there for the software. Basically, it's just to get a beginning feel if there's an actual problem out there that I can solve with my software.
:iconcrypticmanifestation:
CrypticManifestation Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
1. What kind of art do you create?
Paintings, mostly digital but I dabble into other medias. Also a bit of photography
2. Why do you create your art?
Cause I must...Id go insane if I couldnt paint. So yeah personal satisfaction.
3. Does it bother you when people share your works online?
So long as they do not take credit for my work (or partial work) or use it for personal profit I couldnt care less what people do with it.
Not really
5. Do you share other people's works online without their permission? If yes, why do you feel it's okay to do so?
To an extent in places like forums or youtube, I believe that so long as you do not profit or harm the livelihood of someone its alright to share. Its free advertisement too.
6. Have you ever obtained a registered copyright from the U.S. Copyright Office to protect your works?
Never had, havent needed it yet.
7. Have you ever taken the time to educate yourself on the basics of Copyright law as it applies to your works?
yeah, I often read on the subject and understand my basic rights as an artist and have some basic level knowledge of sharing licenses, fair usage and stuff like that.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student General Artist
I think these are better for research then our opinions of copyright laws and why the rules don't always apply.
[link]
[link]
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional General Artist
Considering you mention of the U.S. Copyright Office, is your "experiment" restricted to the territory of United States of America?
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
1. What kind of art do you create?
Images and sculpture, music, literature, and crafts mostly.

2. Why do you create your art (personal satisfaction? monetary prospects? other?)?
Flying hell of it. I certainly don't mind if people want to give me money for my art, but I don't really expect income from it.

3. Does it bother you when people share your works online?
As long as it's done respectfully. I mean, I'd mind if somebody takes my drawing of a blue-eyed-blonde and uses in on a white supremacist website. But I don't mind if somebody posts my work to a collection of, say, art that they thought was nice, or art that fits a certain theme.

I always prefer if credit is given where credit is due and sources are shared. That's just honesty. But I'm also a postgraduate student and I know all too well that citation can be a dick. And these days we've got these handy reverse image search engines, so that even if work isn't cited, there's a fairly good chance that people who want to know where an image came from can find it. Especially if you're like me and you have your work posted [and credited] on multiple websites.
That said, there's no excuse for posting somebody else's work and either claiming or implying that it's yours.

5. Do you share other people's works online without their permission?
Eeeyyuup. If people don't want their stuff to be shared, they shouldn't put it on the fucking information sharing network known as the internet. That said, I do think that sharing should be done respectfully. Usually I share without permission when it's impossible to ask or where the inconvenience of asking outweighs the trouble of asking--for example, I wouldn't wait two weeks to get permission to post an image to forums or blogs where it will get buried in again in an hour anyway, or where all of four people will see it--and when I don't get permission I try to make fair and reasonable assumptions about how the creator would want their work to be shared.
But, yeah, it's very unreasonable to expect that people ask permission for every single one of the billions of things we share on the internet. Nothing would get done. We'd spend more time processing requests than we would generating or proliferating information--most things simply wouldn't be shared because it would be too much fucking work. Which for artists, is a bad thing. We need people to share our stuff if we want somebody other than our mums to look at it. I'd rather have my work shared sloppily but frequently than never shared ever.

6. Have you ever obtained a registered copyright from the U.S. Copyright Office to protect your works?
No. It's a flying pain in the arse, considering how unlikely it is that I'll have an art theft situation that seriously warrants legal action. If I haven't mentioned yet, I'm a postgraduate student. I don't have money to press lawsuits even if I wanted to.

Eeyup.
:iconajglass:
AJGlass Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
A few more questions before anyone answers:

Is this study for a class or school project or for company, legal, or government use?
What specifically will you be doing with the information that people provide here?
Will the compiled results of this study be posted online and if so, where?
What's your privacy policy?
Add a Comment: