Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

What is the ideal year that you wished you had started drawing?

:iconazuregundam:
azuregundam Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012   Traditional Artist
Ive been drawing for around a year in total i started at 11 then stopped drawing and picked it up at 16(current age) wished i started at 9 years old.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
I've been doing it since my parents put pens and paper in front of me (I think I was 2) :)
azuregundam Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012   Traditional Artist
Cool
:iconchopper481:
chopper481 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
I started seriously drawing about three years ago. But I always have drawn, so whatever. :) I'm concentrating on moving forward now, and that's all that matters!
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
Age 0. I need someone to encourage me handing a paint brush as a baby.

But seriously, can't change the past, only can move forward.
:icontakemakei:
TakemaKei Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I started 2 years ago. Should have started at least 10 years ago. I would be getting work right now.
azuregundam Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012   Traditional Artist
you seem awesome enough to get work to me ^^
:iconisho13:
Isho13 Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've been drawing since I could pick up a pencil, but I wish I had started taking it seriously around the year I started highschool. So much free time back then :la: Now I can't put any time into it because of college
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
In the womb
:iconxnatje:
xNatje Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
Everyone started drawing as a tolder I guess?

I started taking it seriously at 13, thoug I wished I could have had more drawing lessons in it.
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've been drawing since I was at least 3 or 4. Perhaps because of this, I am largely self-taught.

I most certainly wish I had started drawing humans at around 8 or 9, because 18-year-old me can currently draw a human at approximately the level 10-year-old me could draw a dragon. (Which is to say, very bad)
:iconappledeer:
AppleDeer Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I actually started at 8 years old.
I think that's pretty reasonable considering my sister started at 5 XD
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Is it wrong to wish I'd left a little graffiti on the walls of my mother's uterus?

Actually...I know I was drawing when I was 6 or 7. Before that? No memory. Some of my kiddie art surprised a few adults...not necessarily because it was great- more because it reflected an ability to spend hours at one thing (I drew a battle scene that was something like 8 pages of type writer paper scotch-taped together). I guess kids aren't supposed to be able to do that. I find it harder to do as an adult :(
:iconliliansk:
LilianSK Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've been drawing since forever, but maybe I should've taken it more seriously a few year earlier. I guess I started to focus, buy sketchbooks and art supplies two years ago (when I got dA), before that it was more doodling during class or boredom.

Then again I'm happy with where I am now - and whoe knows, maybe it wouldn't have helped me to start earlier. Maybe I'd get stuck in a certain style, because when I started I think I were a bit more mature, and had seen more art; making it easier to criticise myself and grow. If anything, I wish I grew a bit quicker.
:iconkrisseymage:
KrisseyMage Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've been pretty much doing it all my life.

It was only after high school that I started doing less of it; my wish is that I hadn't lost motivation and kept at it, pushing myself harder.
The only thing I can do now is make up for that and not lose sight again. It's not about what age you start drawing, but how hard you push yourself. One of my art idols started drawing when he was 22, and now (at 28) works in the animation industry.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I started when I was really young (I've been drawing as long as I could remember).
Stopped around 17 or 18 and picked it up a few years later.
I don't think there's an ideal age to start, although I regret that I didn't take it more serious back then. I could've been so much further.
:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student General Artist
I always liked art as a hobby, but I never started to take art seriously until about 10 months ago or so, when I started painting in watercolors. And I'm 17 now, so I'd say...since I was 16? I dunno.
azuregundam Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012   Traditional Artist
Yeah i recently just started to take art seriously too
:iconpeytonjune:
PeytonJune Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
I've been doing it all my life. So idk.
:iconegypturnash:
egypturnash Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
This question really doesn't make any sense to me.

It doesn't matter if you're better or worse than people your age. What matters is being better than you used to be. Seriously. Have you done something you think is the best thing you've ever drawn? Keep it where you can see it; after a while you'll start finding flaws in it. And you'll make something even better. Repeat.

On the other hand I also don't think there was ever a period in my life where I wasn't drawing. I think the longest break I've ever taken was maybe two months.
:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
i been doing it all my life...

This is amazing
:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
thanks
:iconpaleosonic:
Paleosonic Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hmm ... never? I wish I had a "more serious" hobby.
:icontwinklelttle:
Twinklelttle Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've pretty much been drawing since I was born lol. So.. maybe I should've started when I was a fetus? :P
Lol, cool
:iconmamorucraft:
Mamorucraft Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
i wish i had stardet when i was born XD i started when i was 3 jears old XD
:iconmatynokun:
MatynoKun Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i Started drawing when i was 10 and have been doing its as a side hobby ever since
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
When I was born? I dunno. The earliest memories I have is being four or five painting with my mother and getting involved in various visual creative projects with her and I just never stopped drawing from there. My mother tells me I was a real brat though and recalls my escapades like when I used the bathroom and house walls as a canvas for black paint and such.

The more time you spend wishing you had started something earlier though, the more time you waste in the present that could be spent to bettering yourself which then also adds to the history you miss.:shrug:
:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student General Artist
I don't even remember the year I actually did start, I have an old doodle back from when I was like 2, so I guess that marks my first foray in to the art work.
Oh thats cool
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
See, the thing is that I have tried lots of things before I was ready to do them and it didn't result in me being 7 years ahead, it just resulted in me not liking them. So I never regret not starting things earlier. "If only I had tried acrylics 10 years ago!" ... Oh wait, I did. It sucked. I was awful at them. I needed about 10 years of digital painting and reading stuff on the internet before paint made sense, and then when everything came together at the right time I started painting again and enjoyed it.

Don't look back. If you want things to change, look at what you can do NOW TOMORROW, not what you maybe possibly could have done years ago if you had been a totally different person.
True i agree, just wishful thinking, you make total sense.I just feel like i would most likely be better at drawing if i started earlier, i guess more than anything im just interested to know and see how my art would have looked liked(even though i know that this is impossible)
Add a Comment: