Closed to new replies
November 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Watercolor/Color Pencils question

:iconzerichu:
Zerichu Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
I'm a newbie "anime" style person who began to draw about 11 months ago. So far, I have been able to sketch drawings and outline them in pen, however I have not bought any colored/watercolored pencils so far. Is there any sort of brand/set anybody would recommend?(can spend 10-30 dollars)

I am looking for a set with skin colored typed pencils as I do not own any. Thanks you for reading.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconzerichu:
Zerichu Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Thanks for the help guys, I'm ordering a pack of Prismacolor Verithin Pencils as we speak. Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate it. :3
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional General Artist
I use Derwent color and watercolor pencils, and Koh-i-noor watercolor pencils.
The Derwent Coloursoft 24 set has enough shades for skin tones, but they also have a special "skin tones" set of 6: [link] However you may even find individual (open stock) pencils you need if you don't get them in the pack.
:iconresqben:
resqben Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
Derwent, Prismacolor, and Fab Castell has some good ones in that price range. I would go with higher quality ones indivually, and build to your collection. Student grade stuff can frustrate me and often find investing a tiny bit more is way more worth it.

I would honestly just go into a local art store. The price difference is usually self expanatory there (cheap stuff = student quality... expensive stuff = high quality product) and you can pick your battle there. Or just ask someone that works there for their opinion.

But yeah like I said Dewent, Prismacolor, and Faber Castell are all good brands.
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
Two options:
Prismacolor Verithins are good for beginners. They've got the vibrancy of regular prismacolors pencils, but they lead is harder so that you're less likely to make mistakes or accidentally break your lead. They're also a bit cheaper than regular Prismacolors--you can get a full set or 36 colours for about thirty dollars. They also have a "manga colours" set, which I suggest you avoid like the plague. Anything that claims to be designed especially for anime or manga artists is a gimmick. Always.
You could also go get one of those big old sets of 50 or 64 Crayola coloured pencils. They're not the greatest in quality, but they're a lot better than they get credit for, and they're unbelievably cheap. They'll do fine if you just want practise colouring before you move onto more expensive materials.

I wouldn't recommend watercolour pencils at all.
Add a Comment: