Closed to new replies
November 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 175

Have you found your 'style'?

:iconresennar:
Resennar Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
I know a lot of artists go through a stage where they search for their style, something that differentiates their art from others. Coming from an artist who is still experimenting with their style, I'm curious :)

1. Have you found your style? Do you love it?

2. How long did it take you to find your style?

3. Did you mainly use other artists' work as inspiration or just made it up along the way?

4. What is something you are most proud of in your style? (i.e. colouring, shading, use of colour, anatomy, etc..)

:peace:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhugmehughes:
HugmeHughes Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
1. I've found my style but i love experimenting with different styles as well. And yes I always love drawing clouds.

2.It took me a while to find to find my own "style" but everyone starts off somewhere.

3. Seeing other artist who had simmilar styles inspired me to come up with my own, but it wasnt my main inspiration.

4.Use of organic shapes is my thing (: clouds, weird drippy figures and a lot of detail. I donno I think for what i do I do it pretty good.
:icondefor:
DeFor Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student
With some artists, no matter what medium they use, or how they use it, you can tell it's their art. The content or the method doesn't matter, you can tell it's theirs. That's what I would consider a style. It doesn't seem to be something that can be controlled, or found.
You seem to be talking about a preferred medium and method. If that is the case, why would I want to stick to one?
:iconsummitstars:
summitstars Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
1. Yep! I love it, love it, love it!
2. It took me 18 years to find it. I had some sort of artistic epiphany and my drawing "Give Up Your Ghost" was born that day. I've stuck with that style for most of my drawings ever since.
3. 99% of the time it's made up. There was a girl who used to go to my high school, and she graduated 3 years before I did. I never saw her in person in my life but I knew her brother kinda well and I was sad for him to find out that she had passed away in a car accident the year we graduated. A few months after she died I came across some of her artwork and it was so incredible and so similar to mine. She inspired a couple of my drawings and after I finished them I left them at her grave and thanked her for the inspiration. :)
4. Probably the shading and the shapes. I don't use any color. I also like the surreal and strange kinda thing I have going on. ;)
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I have not found my style yet :tears:
But I will one day
Resennar Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Don't give up! :D
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I won't ;)
:iconkelii:
Kelii Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No, but I am discovering what mediums I like best

Not even close yet.

3. Did you mainly use other artists' work as inspiration or just made it up along the way?
I read a lot of books, but discovered things on my own too

4. What is something you are most proud of in your style? (i.e. colouring, shading, use of colour, anatomy, etc..)
not sure, there's too much I want to improve.
:iconsamichan0:
SamiChan0 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist
1. I love my style now, but I doubt it will stay that way. I don't mean it will permanently change to a completely different way of drawing, but things will definitely evolve within time.

2. About a year ago. I tried to draw anime, but it nothing quite clicked for me. I moved on from that and tried several cartooning styles instead, and eventually developed the one I do now. It's still a work-in-progress, but I am definitely better than I was in the past.

3. I actually combined several styles together from several aritst; what I did was list what I liked from each, and put them all together to create my style.

4. That's a tough one, but I think I'm most proud of my anatomy with my characters. I sucked HORRIBLY when I first started out. I'm still a bit rusty when it comes to proportions, but it is a definite improvement than in the past.
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
1) I have. Not entirely.

2) I dunno, six months? Drawing furfaggotry isn't the hardest thing in the world at a lower level.

3) That really depends.
Resennar Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Wow, 6 months, that's pretty quick. But awesome :)
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Considering, I'm ass money at art, not really. But, it's the way I draw as of now so I guess it counts in the most basic sense of the term.
:iconyusakujon3:
YusakuJon3 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
  1. I've had my own style for a while, and it's quite satisfactory for me.

2. I recall working into it shortly before graduating high school in the mid-1980s.  I had started out being influenced exclusively by American superhero comics and artists like John Byrne and George Perez, then worked Japanese animation styles that were inspiring me into the mix.

3. At first, it was me being another "Byrne Clone" fan-artist, but I began to synthesize my own style after the anime influences took over.

4. My anatomy seems to satisfy me the most, though it's still quite rough and requires quite a bit more practice to get it right.  In a style that retains much of the simplicity of animation drawings, I tend not to worry too much about putting too much detail into figures and clothing.
Resennar Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Very cool :)
:iconsemi-sentient:
semi-sentient Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
no i haven't
i just have a way i draw certain things if i need to achieve a certain effect

i thought i had one, but really i was 15 years old back then and stupid
ever since i actually read up on what makes good art good i decided that, yeah, i'll probably always have my preferred aesthetic shining through my art, but i won't limit myself to a specific set of symbols or a way to draw anything
i'd rather stay versatile

both
if it weren't for other artists, i would never have figured out what i like and what i don't like in art so i owe every single artist out there, even those whose art i don't really like

nothing really
i do like that my looser sketches have kind of fast, violent and generally confident lines, though, that's about it
:iconsuprememessage:
Suprememessage Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
1.) My style is photomanipulationg and Anime

2.) It took me several years

3.) Usually my work involves characters from shows or movies or just my OC

4.) I'm proud of my photo editing techniques.
:iconmoxiee:
moxiee Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I followed the words of Bruce Lee. "My style is no style."
When I stopped looking is when it happened.
I like how I draw hair and eyes.
Resennar Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
I like that quote a lot. I think I might have to use that :)
:iconmoxiee:
moxiee Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
It does put things in perspective when you think about it.
Yes, it does .
:iconcourtneylynnwashburn:
CourtneyLynnWashburn Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Filmographer
I have but i know that as i grow as an artist it will change. I do love it.

I am not sure, once i started to draw everyday it kinda just popped up.

I have artist that have inspired me along the way but my style is all my own and i worked hard for it.

I love the way i draw faces, its my favorite. what i do need to work on is how to draw hands and so on. I find my self just working on the face and neck because thats the focus of where my style is.
Wow, I would say that you're lucky if it just popped up one day :P
:iconcourtneylynnwashburn:
CourtneyLynnWashburn Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student Filmographer
hahah :laughing: i found it one day when i wanted to draw a Victorian lady with a ship on her head. It just came out and i have been drawing my big headed, small long neck ladies ever since.
Resennar Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Haha awesome :)
:iconkoui:
Koui Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012   General Artist
1. sure, It's aright

2. 14 years of incessant drawing of corse I had a style in mind I just didn

3.I look at other artists in terms of certain values such as line work or color, to enhance my own work if possible

4.expressions
:iconxnatje:
xNatje Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
I am still on my way, but I think I am walking in the right direction

since I started taking drawing seriously (13 years old) till now (20 years old). so 7 years already, and it will probably take more.

I didn't when I was younger. the only inspiration I had where celeb fanart-artists. tbh, I don't think this is a personal style. So when I got in college, I realized I had to find something that was my own. And since this year, I started more incorporating influences from great artists. It's from them we learn the most.

Now it is probably the darkness and the light.
:iconcnids:
Cnids Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
1. I would say I've found it, but I'm hesitant to claim I have for sure since I'm still learning and have a lot of areas that could be improved. That said, I haven't changed too much in the past few years, so I'm probably going to stay reasonably consistent, at least for the next few years.

2. I'd say maybe 4 or 5 years. I kind of started with anime and then tried to shake off that influence when I realized it was going to hold me back.

3. Just make it up usually. I like to look at other work to see new things, but it seems like if I ever try to emulate a style it still looks like my stuff.

4. Um.. I like that I have areas of high detail and then areas of larger, flat colours. I think I also do colour choices fairly well.
:iconpringlesaddict99:
pringlesaddict99 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't really feel like styles when it comes to art. My goal is to draw as realistic as possible (without a reference picture). I tried drawing unrealistically... and I just didn't feel proud of myself. I appreciate unrealistic drawings/paintings other people make, but I just don't appreciate my own.
Resennar Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
That's always okay. You just have to try everything until you find something that suits you :)
:iconappledeer:
AppleDeer Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I don't really think I've found my "style" per say ^^ I'm still experimenting and trying to see what sticks to me.
It could take years depending on what I learn and what comes naturally and yes I use many artists as inspiration while learning my style.
So far I'd have to say my crazy imagination is my favorite things in my artwork XD
I make weird critters and give them strange color patterns. XD
Pretty much described my art haha, I'm still experimenting as well :)
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012

No, Not really. At least I don't think so. More like, I've found a tenuous acceptance of the fact that my work's tight & illustrational

I'm 57 & still working on it

Did? I still do, which maybe is the problem. It might do me good if I was sent out into the wilderness somewhere with all the supplies I could ever need, but no internet, no TV, no art books. I pretty much see my "style" as a bunch of influences tossed into my mental blender & spun around on "frappe". The results are original (I think/hope), but there's no escaping my influences.

Maybe the fact that I can be surrounded by influences & bring it all together as something not seen before. It's a little like going to school, then realizing that you're actually using the shit you learned in "real" life. I guess style would be taking influences & references from 5 different places, filtering the info through whatever you think that info gets filtered through, & making it (if it works) look like it came from a single head space (I laughed when I first heard that term- head space...now I kind of love it)
Wow, that's a long time haha. It's taken me a while too.
So I can understand with that :)
:iconpaleosonic:
Paleosonic Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Nooo, i haven't. I think it's important to experiment with different styles. Your own style should come to you "naturally", I see no point in forcing myself to paint only a certain way.
I completely agree.
:iconpainted-bees:
painted-bees Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I personally try not to think in terms of style. Style is consequential to process. If you have a process that hinders you, that you do not enjoy your 'style' will suffer. If you enjoy your process, your style will appear more solid for it. As you make small tweaks and fine tunes to your process, your style will change accordingly. Restricting your process for the sake of maintaining a 'style' is never a very good idea. If a process begins to feel stale, tedious, and repetitive, the same is probably true for your 'style'.

So with that in mind,
1) I haven't found my style. I've found a process currently that suits me very well, but in time, that's bound to change.
2) I started working in this style about two or three years ago, after my previous way of working grew problematic and tedious for me.
3) I am always looking at other artists, and sometimes they may influence my work. But I feel my art differs quite drastically from the artists I might consider my favorites (tadahiro uesugi being one example).
4) I can complete work in a relatively short amount of time and still feel a sense of pride in what I had produced. I'm always looking for ways to improve and build upon my skill set and my process, but by being able to produce more art in less time, I am allowed to develop and pick up knowledge faster as well.
I agree with your view on style :)
:iconliliansk:
LilianSK Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No, not at all. I keep going through so many different styles, and sometimes there are ones I like but I can't continue with it.

I still have a lot to go, I think. But lately I've seen more smiliarities between my drawings so..
It's just so frustrating because all my friends who draw has their style, and you can always see that they drew it.

Like everyone do, I pick up from things that inspire me, which can be everything from artist to books etc.

Depends on the artwork. Sometimes it's the concept, while some might not have a concept so it's just the astetics (?). I guess I'm proud of myself for being able to draw facec and people without using any sort of reference.
I go through that too, so many styles, it's taking forever to find one xD
:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student General Artist
1. Eh, I dunno. I've gone through some changes even though I've only been taking art seriously for about 10 months or so. At first I started with watercolors doing abstract shapes and things of that nature. I did that for a bit, then I started to take drawing seriously and I used to incorporate pencil and pen art with watercolors ( I'd draw something then fill it in with watercolor) but then there was a point where I felt as though I wasn't necessarily good at that, and so I tried something new. Recently I've been using acrylics a lot. I'd say right now, I'm doing a style that's sort of surreal and I'm also working on realism a bit. And so far, I like what I'm doing, but I always gotta try new things. Maybe some day I'll get sick of using only acrylics and I'll try something new, in the words of John Dyer Baizley: "Repetition kills creativity."

2. Hmm, not too sure...I'm constantly working on it and refining everything. So I'm not sure, that or I'm too lazy to think about it, hahaha.

3. Yeah, I use other artist' work as inspiration all the time.

4. I feel like I'm pretty good at things such as illustrating, mainly illustrating like the body and face and stuff. All the bone muscles, veins, lips, eyes, hair, etc. That's a lot of fun for me, personally. According to one of my drawing teachers, I have a good imagination but he wanted me to "increase my range" ( I used to draw lots of skulls and birds). My friend Isabelle told me I have a good eye, and I feel like the colors in my work really work well together. I try my best not to paint with black and only use it for darkening colors. ( However I've cheated on a few occasions) One thing I'm proud of though is the fact that I can use watercolors surprisingly well in my eyes. My friend Thea told me how she had trouble with it ( she uses oils) and so many people have told me how watercolor is such a tricky medium, but since I started painting in watercolors first and not acrylics, I have a better experience with it.
Awesome :)
:iconfreyv:
freyv Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I consider myself "in training"(but aren't we all really?) and I still have a lot to learn. I think when I've finally got the grasp on anatomy and perspective and that kind of thing, I'll look more into what style I'm comfortable with. I've never really put much thought into my style, though, it just kind of changed while I figured out what I thought was pretty.
I agree. We all learn something as we progress with our art c:
:iconkrisseymage:
KrisseyMage Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
1&2: My personal belief is that your style is defined when you die. There is SO MUCH to learn about art and from drawing over the years, that it's hard to stick to a particular style. And if you do, I feel you limit yourself. Yes, play with styles, but don't just stick to one.

3. Yes, other artists have inspired me to continue drawing and helped shaped how I draw. It's my imagination that continues to fuel it

4. I'm most proud that I haven't put down the pencil after all the frustration of learning to draw :lol:
Haha agreed.
Some may not even find their style, ever.
It can be frustrating at times xD
:icondelphineapollo:
DelphineApollo Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student Digital Artist
1. No I haven't yet, don't plan on finding one. I'd like to mimic other styles instead.

2. I have no idea how long it will help me find one I can actually do.

3. Yes, line work above all else is what I look for

4. I'm not proud of anything at all. I'm ashamed of my work.
Resennar Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that :(
:iconpasscety:
Passcety Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012   General Artist
1. I found something to work with for now. Trying to change it up, as something feels off about it.

2. Unsure how long it took to find what I've got so far!

3. Two things that caught my eye as a kid were things such as Ren & Stimpy's way of distortion and exaggeration with its characters and J. Otto Seibold's line-less, relaxed style ([link])

4. Can't think of anything! :noes: Hopefully this changes as it develops!
Resennar Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Haha well it's good to switch things up a bit, to change and experiment :)
:iconmamorucraft:
Mamorucraft Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
1.Yes i finally found it ... if i love it hm i like it but i want to work realy work on it
2.I am 17 now my mother saied to me i started with 3 jears so i needed 14 jears to find my own style XD long time i know ^^'.
3. The most ideas comming from my own head but sometimes when i see a picture it is like a punch in the face and then i know I HAVE TO DRAW THIS :D. but when i draw a OC from a friend i uded his or her pictures as references XD.
4. I am only proud of my style when i make other happy with it X3
Add a Comment: