Closed to new replies
November 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Creating Comics Digitally

:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I know this question has come up a few times in the past, but unfortunately I never paid much attention. What programs are out there for creating comics digitally? I know Manga Studio is an option, but I was curious if there are any other programs people would recommend. Are any of these programs worth it if I already have Photoshop? In past I've done my sketches for panel layouts in MS Paint (because it's quick) and then the bulk of the work in Photoshop, but I find laying panels in Photoshop can be a real pain in the butt at times when using unconventional shapes.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconegypturnash:
egypturnash Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
The best program to use for comics is the one you're able to use without thinking.

I do my comics partially or entirely in Illustrator. Sometimes I like to draw my roughs on paper and take that into AI, sometimes I draw directly into AI. I do this because I've been using AI as my main medium for a decade, and I really never have to think about how to operate the program any more.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I find a combination of Photoshop and Illustrator to be the best for me, although I wouldn't mind playing around with Manga Studio. Panels aren't THAT hard to do via selections, but if I need a more complex shape then Illustrator does the trick. Plus it's great for word balloons.

I find that most beginner comic artists overdo funky panel shapes anyway, so it's nice to have those be a little bit more difficult. Then you have to sit there and think "do I REALLY need this panel to have seven corners? What are my readers going to get out of that?"
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Hah, yeah, you're right on the seven corners thing. I'm honestly not entirely sure what I meant by unconventional panel shapes because I tend to stick to varying sizes of squares and circles. After I made this post I realized my problem is probably mostly due to not being very comfortable Photoshop's tools beyond brushes, so I'll have to practice more and see if I can get the hang of it.
:icondangerous124:
DANgerous124 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Photoshop will usually do the trick. Here's a free version of Autodesk Sketchbook with built-in Copic Markers: [link] You create panels a lot easier with Sketchbook than with Photoshop.
:icondangerous124:
DANgerous124 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Whoops. I just noticed that the link for the download is dead. It still works on the Copic site though: [link]
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Interesting, thanks. I'll check it out.
Add a Comment: