Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 170

I Just Can't Bring My Self to Paint Realistically....

:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I can't seem to bring myself to paintrealistically although i flirt with it. Most of my art has a very hasty underpainting and i don't really consider correct anatomy, natural hues and etc. I am more into paint application and vigorous brush strokes. The problem is not that its too hard but it is just too darn easy. I can get a painting down in 3 hours but most of the time i find myself probing for exaggerations and ways i can execute unorthodox color theory. I am not satisfied with typical, plain ole realism. Its not challenging to me. Any one else have this problem?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcoloridium:
coloridium Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012   Traditional Artist
Hmm, I can see what you mean, if they want super realistic portraits they should just take a photo, right? Cause art is supposed to be about freedom of expression. Maybe you should look for different clients then, people that speak the same visual language as you do, and that understand what you are trying to convey. Or try to convince them your way is better. But let's face it, most people commissioning a portrait do it precisely because they want to see themselves. They want to look at it and recognize themselves, or feel as if they looking into a mirror. People generally dismiss what they don't understand.
It kinda reminds me of how Picasso isn't very understood either.
And it happens in architecture too.
:iconwicked-nick:
Wicked-nick Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
From looking at your art, you have a good idea of form, light and shadow, plus an inventive use of color. I'm guessing your paintings come from photos, which if they are would be kinda pointless to paint realistically as it would seem redundant. What might be good to try out is doing some surrealist paintings. In surrealism you can still explore the abstract, but the goal is to make the abstract appear real, like a dream. But learning to create some realistic pictures wouldn't hurt. It could help you gain a deeper appreciation for color and give you some ideas you haven't thought of before.
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
i agree. I am not trying to sound like an asshole. i did realistic paintings when i was your. Now i think they are pointless. But you are right. I need to pursue it more. Again...i am no master.
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Developing the ability to paint realistically will help you develop as an artist, even if you just do it as an exercise.
:iconclockworkcat:
clockworkcat Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Filmographer
This is like watching an adult join a pottery class, slap some clay onto the wheel, and make a really shit bowl and say, "There! That's high quality, isn't it? I've already mastered it. Moving on."
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
You art looks like the shit in my toilet bowel after i eat mexican. Probably some of the most generic "art" I ve seen in a while. you really suck
:iconphilliewig:
Philliewig Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Well damn, you don't have to be such a dick about it.
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
thats what i say. People insult me and my art and I will rip them. Especially if they have shitty art.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional General Artist
You know you don't have to share thumbnails of your work when you make threads.... people probably wouldn't insult your works
Philliewig Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
It's cause of self-entitled pricks like you and Damien Hirst that the Post-modernist artists are so hated by the general public.
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
thanks!
Philliewig Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
That wasn't a compliment.
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
no shit
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional General Artist
He was talking to you not me lol! He replied to this before I did. The thread just collapsed it that way lol
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional General Artist
This
:iconariensmith:
ArienSmith Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
If you don't want to paint realistically, then don't! It's just not your style, so don't do it. Run with what you like and you'll create amazing work. Just experiment--you'll find your way. :D
:icondraze:
draze Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012   Traditional Artist
Oh. Its you. Still finding ways to post thumbs in this forum under the guise of conversation, I see.
:iconxnatje:
xNatje Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
I don't get your post tbh. Titel says that you can't paint realistic, and then your post says that what you do is too easy. and then later you say that you find realism boring. What is actually the problem you are struggling with? Do you want to paint realistic, or not? If you are not happy with what you make, try something different (more realistic, less realistic, another composition in stead of central portraits, more environment, another theme,...)
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
i didn't say i CAN'T paint it...i said i can't BRING MYSELF to paint it. That implies something totally different. I am just saying that when i start a painting with a objective to be realistic i get so wrapped up in my style that the outcome is totally different.
But with not being able to bring yourself to paint realistic, do you mean with it that you don't want it, or that you try it but it doesn't work out? Do you want to paint realistic or not? (and if not, what is the problem then?)
i am impartial. there a side of me that want to but i am way happier not to.
Why are you happier not?
because it is more challenging then simply drawing what i see
Drawing what you see doesn't mean it has to be realistic. It's up to the artist to make his own vision of the reality. Realism is only a small section of art movements.
:iconwilwhalen:
WilWhalen Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I can't believe anybody is taking this guy seriously.
:iconartisticpig:
artisticpig Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012   Traditional Artist
First, painting realism in three hours is a serious gift. And the gifted always find boredom with easy stuff.
Second, if you want the permanent upper hand with the naysayers, post a quick realism painting. Or a YouTube vid.
Third, can I presume your current Expressionist (not Fauvist) style of painting is challenging? If so, I agree with you. Your painting is very similar to the writing style of your Manifesto. Some absolutely brilliant paint strokes (sentence composition) but taken in the entirety they both lack cohesion and cogent thinking. Keep challenging yourself with your style because as it stands now, muddy paintings and verbose platitudes are dismissed and the painter/author becomes irrelevant.
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Still more people attacking my art. I didn't ask for criticism quite frankly. I am asking for a solution for my problem. realism is just a style and is not necessarily more challenging. My point is that i always want to push my paintings more because i can not settle for a realistic style. It is not gratifying.

and...muddy paintings?

sure.
:iconchemicalalia:
ChemicalAlia Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Muddy as fuck.
Muddy as fuck.
bigthumb337438621:
Muddy as fuck.
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
My understanding of "muddy" was when the colors all became a kind of brown or shitty grey...like mud. The only part of this particular painting that might be muddy is the shadow on the neck...otherwise...I see pretty vivid greens, blues, pinks & purples.

Expressionism isn't my thing, my aesthetic, but from what I've seen of it- this isn't necessarily off-target.

Personally, if I'm going to go off on some one in the forums, I'm going to do my level best to stick to the topic...I'm not going to look for some vulnerability where I can stick a knife in & twist it.
ChemicalAlia Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
You could have at least bothered to rinse off your brush between colors.
the only time i don't rinse is when i am good for a certain effect.
ChemicalAlia Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
The mud effect? :<
(1 Reply)
:iconartisticpig:
artisticpig Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012   Traditional Artist
A solution to your problem? Really? You need a forum post to realize what everyone already knows? Sometimes in life people have to do things they don't find gratifying, but they do it anyway.

That is the solution: just do it.
"Sometimes in life people have to do things they don't find gratifying"

fine art is about expression. I got to feel something to paint it. Simple as that.
:iconjerseycajun:
jerseycajun Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Find something you can feel about what other people seem to like. You are a human being. The public are human beings. Surely there is some overlap between you and the rest of society.
:iconm-j-gagne:
M-J-Gagne Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Before commenting I read a chunk of this thread and it seems that there is a bit of tension over whether or not illastrat was intentionally offending realist artists, or those who struggle with the style. Having said that, its not clear specifically what you mean by real. There are different levels of realism in drawing. Just drawing what you see doesn't necessarily mean your are drawing a realistic drawing. To me realism means achieving such quality that the drawing is indistinguishable from the real object or a photo, if that is what you are working from.

I like striving to get better and better at achieving true realism ( and I don't find it easy) but I do find it boring to do standard portraits, landscapes or still life all the time. That's why I mix up with some comic artwork - Sci Fi, Fantasy themes pieces. I also like to mix the two.
This.... [link]

Not surrealism, hyperrealism, photorealism, expressionism, impressionism.

but...instead...the art based on the stance : "begins from the position that truth can be discovered by the individual through the senses"
see how boring that shit looks. And i am getting attacked because people feel offended! whatever
:icondeadlyobsession:
DeadlyObsession Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This stuff was exciting for those back in that century. They did it because they didn't have all these wonderful means of entertainment we can whittle hours away. All they could do is dream of the few things they could achieve in life, and this was some of them. Some people in modern day still choose to strive for this because it's their personal choice of professionalism.

Art. Such a controversial subject~
:iconm-j-gagne:
M-J-Gagne Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I guess it can look quite boring, depending on the subject matter. I think for people who appreciate realist art, its more about how a painter represents a scene - how they use color, how the lighting is emphasized. Its about more than just drawing what you see. If anything realism is about taking the real and turning it into something more beautiful than the reality on which it is based. For some artist that is probably where the challenge of realism is found.

But yes, I would personally prefer to draw something else that's more interesting.

Also, although people are challenging your statement that realist art is boring, the "attack" has more to do with your characterization of realist art as being easy to do, which some people have taken out of context.
:iconpringlesaddict99:
pringlesaddict99 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Sorry I have nothing smart to tell you that could help you, just wanted to say I have the opposite problem. I can only draw realistically, I once tried drawing some bird comically and BOOM, suddenly it was realistic :shrug:

And I have to disagree with you, realistic art doesn't have to be boring! Okay, portraits are, but take a look at this [link] or [link]
Its funny that you guys are making personal attacks regarding my art. I didnt know say i was the best, good, or even decent. I am just saying drawing what you see is exactly that. Its a skill but its not challenging.
:iconpaleosonic:
Paleosonic Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
As I said, I think it's insulting to realistic artists to say their art is "insulting your intelligence". It's not only about the style - it's about the picture's composition. You can make crappy art in perfectly realistic style, but you can also make great art. (to give a very cliched example: all the renaissance painters...)

(And yes, I know my art belongs to the crappy section, you don't have to say that.)
this is about MY opinion. It is boring for me. which is what the post was aimed at being about.
:iconjerseycajun:
jerseycajun Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
There are a couple ways to place yourself on a pedestal. Raising the platform, or lowering your audience. You do a lot of the latter. Either way, it's hard not to take offense. Your criticisms of others' work aren't constructive, they're insulting and demeaning.
you see...this post is about me. what i go through. Then you have people shitting on my art like they are entitled because they feel I am insulting some one. I am not. I didn't make an attack on anyone first. My attacks were out of retaliation. Why do people get offended when i say its not challenging? It isn't! All it is is drawing/painting what you see. I was doing that proficiently at the age of 12.
:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
Now it's 12, I guess.
:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
I remember one time you said 15.
Add a Comment: