Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 170

I Just Can't Bring My Self to Paint Realistically....

:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I can't seem to bring myself to paintrealistically although i flirt with it. Most of my art has a very hasty underpainting and i don't really consider correct anatomy, natural hues and etc. I am more into paint application and vigorous brush strokes. The problem is not that its too hard but it is just too darn easy. I can get a painting down in 3 hours but most of the time i find myself probing for exaggerations and ways i can execute unorthodox color theory. I am not satisfied with typical, plain ole realism. Its not challenging to me. Any one else have this problem?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcoloridium:
coloridium Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012   Traditional Artist
Hmm, I can see what you mean, if they want super realistic portraits they should just take a photo, right? Cause art is supposed to be about freedom of expression. Maybe you should look for different clients then, people that speak the same visual language as you do, and that understand what you are trying to convey. Or try to convince them your way is better. But let's face it, most people commissioning a portrait do it precisely because they want to see themselves. They want to look at it and recognize themselves, or feel as if they looking into a mirror. People generally dismiss what they don't understand.
It kinda reminds me of how Picasso isn't very understood either.
And it happens in architecture too.
:iconwicked-nick:
Wicked-nick Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
From looking at your art, you have a good idea of form, light and shadow, plus an inventive use of color. I'm guessing your paintings come from photos, which if they are would be kinda pointless to paint realistically as it would seem redundant. What might be good to try out is doing some surrealist paintings. In surrealism you can still explore the abstract, but the goal is to make the abstract appear real, like a dream. But learning to create some realistic pictures wouldn't hurt. It could help you gain a deeper appreciation for color and give you some ideas you haven't thought of before.
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
i agree. I am not trying to sound like an asshole. i did realistic paintings when i was your. Now i think they are pointless. But you are right. I need to pursue it more. Again...i am no master.
:iconvglory:
vglory Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Developing the ability to paint realistically will help you develop as an artist, even if you just do it as an exercise.
:iconclockworkcat:
clockworkcat Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Filmographer
This is like watching an adult join a pottery class, slap some clay onto the wheel, and make a really shit bowl and say, "There! That's high quality, isn't it? I've already mastered it. Moving on."
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
You art looks like the shit in my toilet bowel after i eat mexican. Probably some of the most generic "art" I ve seen in a while. you really suck
:iconphilliewig:
Philliewig Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Well damn, you don't have to be such a dick about it.
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
thats what i say. People insult me and my art and I will rip them. Especially if they have shitty art.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional General Artist
You know you don't have to share thumbnails of your work when you make threads.... people probably wouldn't insult your works
:iconphilliewig:
Philliewig Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
It's cause of self-entitled pricks like you and Damien Hirst that the Post-modernist artists are so hated by the general public.
Add a Comment: