Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

What are the best/your favourite art-related tutorials on here and/or on the web? Please share.

:iconpedigri:
Pedigri Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm on a tutorial watching/reading spree right now. But to avoid relying on theoretical knowledge Whenever I'm opening PS or taking drawing supplies into my hands when I learn something I really want to try out.

I'm on the lookout for the best, most useful, proven tutorials. Sadly searching tutorials by the most popular tag here on dA is flawed. The first few are really good, but then come the ones apparently done by children who have lots of followers who faved the sh*t out of them.

Sifting through the tutorial garbage is tiring and overwhelming. Often I read a tutorial only to find it has instructions that are too general or straigh-out idiotic (I'm paiting a shoulder. Then the head. I'm using a dark colour...).

I hoped you could link me to some tutorials either on here or on the web that are worth recommending.

Even if I'm not practicing certain arts, I'm still interested in reading and learning about them (since they can enhance my skills through synergy), so don't be shy about linking to tutorials related to your own types of art. I'm obviously going to benefit most from those that don't require materials I can't get in my area (or that easily). But it doesn't mean others here won't benefit from it.

If you want others to suggest you tutorials, name the art genre/a specific topic (drawing hands, for example) and specify the level of skill (if you search for a tut. for beginners or intermediate or advanced... or an advanced one that is accessible to beginners).

My suggestions:
[link]

Advanced digital painters probably already know it, but to me it was like a revelation. I finally understood why masters paint on such large canvas. It is the single tutorial that can make all the difference. I highly recommend it!

[link]

The single best flash-video (where you can repeat specific parts as many times as you want) tutorial on digital speedpainting I've ever seen. This deviants speedpaints in a very realistic way. And he makes it very simple.

[link]

Any speedpainting and realistic painting tutorial by Stephanie Valentin. Sure, her portraits might look too perfect despite looking realistic, but she uses - litterally - the simplest and methodological painting methods I've seen in a long time. The downside is that her biggest tutorial is about painting Justin Bieber...

[link]

This pixel art tutorial series (by a recent DD winner) is being praised for being very methodological while other pixel tuts on the web keep suggesting you "develop a feel for it, follow your intuition, etc.).

-------------------------------------
If you want to suggest tutorials to me, these are very welcome: (realistic) digital painting (intermediate to advanced), pixel art/animations (anything above the basics), (realistic) colour pencil drawing (beginner to advanced), speedpainting, (realistic) pencil/charcoal drawing, video editing (post-basics to advanced), flash animations/usage/scripting (basics to advanced), (realistic) vector art, 3D modelling (basics to advanced), photomanipulation (intermediate to advanced), (non-simplistic) digital painting - manga style (intermediate to advanced), video game oriented programming (basics), ballpoint pen drawings (basics to advanced) and the like.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
[link] is a great channel.
Pedigri Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Subscribed. Just saw the latest one on the light and shadow. He spoke about things I didn't see in the books/tuts/videos on drawing I've seen/read.

He is very engaging. It looks professionally done. It's nicely edited and well presented. He's at least mildly funny/entertaining.

My only concern is that this channel probably goes dead after he releases his DVD.

ImagineFX puts about 3 hour long tutorials (in two parts) on YT. One of them was by Genzoman. Others are done by similarly talented people. It's not a speedpainting, but there is no commentary or even music. Luckily you can see what the artist does and learn from the artist because the tools he uses are clearly shown. I learned a lot from the one by Genzoman. I usually stop to watch such videos when I see that the artist is going to paint the remaining parts pretty much the same way.

[link]

There's over a 100 videos on their channel.

I watch Artgerm's livestream painting sessions (they're available for watching in full even after he's done painting them live). I assume you know Artgerm. If not, he's an amazingly successful and talented digital painter who works with major game and entertainment companies and who blends realism with western comic and a bit of manga style (at least it looks like that to me). Also no commentary and he uses Painter 9.5, but his approach can be replicated in other programs.

[link]
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks for sharing those :)
No problem.
I hope you find them uselful and they'll serve you well:)
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
That speedpainting tutorial was fantastic, thanks for sharing!

[link] is a great skin painting tutorial that's relatively easy to understand.
[link] Not really a tutorial so much as a guide on spotting tangents. Super important for people who are doing comics, but it's a good thing to know in general anyways.
[link] Expression tutorial by the guy who created Lackadaisy.
[link] My favourite tutorial on perspective.
I'm glad you like it.

I know Navate's tutorials. The second part got a DD not so long ago. The good thing is she covers subjects that few other tuts cover like paining ALL skin colours.
They're worth recommending.

The article on tangents is super interesting. I haven't heard about them before. Nice illustrations.

I know Lackadaisy, but I haven't seen this tutorial yet. It also covers aspects that few (if any) tutorials do. And the illustrations are great. It's a pleasre to read and look at.

Wow, that perspective tut is huge. I see that it covers some unique perspectives. I'm definitely going to read it.

Thanks so much!
:icondaisyfletcher64:
DaisyFletcher64 Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
[link] is my favorite
The colouring in the preview picture is stylized, but nice - the colours are nicely blended. I just don't get why the end the tutorials on linearts despite the thumbnails that show finished works.
:icondaisyfletcher64:
DaisyFletcher64 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
Me neither. I used the tutorial for my drawing so that is why it is my favorite
The tut looks simple enough, so if it helped you - good for you:)
Add a Comment: