Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Paid Commissions: How long do they take?

:iconlemonheadboy:
Just a simple question how long will it take you to finish 1 simple character? Just a bust, flat colors only.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnelchee:
nelchee Nov 10, 2012  Professional General Artist
For flat colors (no shading), probably less than an hour.
Really, how about if you're having an art block? Is 2 months or more understandable?
nelchee Nov 10, 2012  Professional General Artist
Hmm I sense you have an issue with an artist that failed to deliver? ;)

There are different kinds of art block, and they might be like
1) Artist doesn't have an idea what to draw
2) Artist finds it difficult to sit down and do work, and instead procrastinates

1) is clearly not an issue with commissioned characters, and 2) is not acceptable if you're a professional. I admit I did do it in the past (not for drawing, but for jewelry) and I lost that client, and frankly I'm not even sorry because I really didn't feel like doing it. Nowadays I would rather turn down a job, than say I would do something and then take half a year to finish.
However, even if it takes me an hour to draw something, it doesn't mean I would even get to it for a week or two, because I always have other projects going on that are a bigger priority. Two months however is a bit too much.
I'm trying my best not to make it an issue, He said he was busy, payment was already sent so I was expecting it 2 months ago. No biggie he said he'll try to do it by Dec. Was just asking if it would really take that long, I was worried he might get offended if I try to ask him.
:iconhardrockangel:
Hardrockangel Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Asking shouldn't offend the artist. It's their job to keep you up to date on the commission.
Well, I actually got a reply from him a month ago saying I should wait in line because others are ahead of me so I just said "ok"
nelchee Nov 12, 2012  Professional General Artist
It's unprofessional to take the money and then make you wait for over 2 months, but I've heard this story many times.

I'd say it would be reasonable to use a bit of pressure right now - ask him if he is able to do it by December 1st 2012, and if he isn't able to deliver in that time, that you would like the money back because you are considering hiring someone else who would deliver in a quicker manner because 3 months is just too much.

You should have both agreed on a deadline before payment, and make a clause that if the artist is late you have a right to request your money back and turn away from the job.

Now there is always a bit of risk the artist will react unreasonable and not want to give you the money back, but from what I've heard, usually they worry about losing the client and take this job more seriously.

No matter what the life circumstances of this person are, in 2 months they should have gotten a few hours of time to work on a job that has already been paid for, or it it's really that serious they can't handle any such work, simply refuse the job.
Thanks, I'll try to ask him nicely for a refund and I'll just probably ask someone else. :(
:icongreentofu:
greentofu Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
If it's just a bust , flat colors ... and it's been 2 months ? Beat him up.
I can't, he lives a million miles away... lol
Add a Comment: