Closed to new replies
November 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

What Fixative Spray Do You Use?

:iconmorebud:
Morebud Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
I'm experimenting with fixative sprays and I'm curious what people use. Trying SpectraFix right now which is eco-friendly (awesome) but droplets keep forming and staining (not awesome). Maybe it's because it's non-aerosal that it forms the drops which is fine but SOMETIMES they dry and leave a stain, not always. I've tried Grumbacher as well which seemed to work well but.. *fumes barf*. And I have Krylon to try next. What do you use? Any alternatives?

Mostly using pastels.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
I use a couple of different sprays- Krylon UV resistant Clear, Golden Archival Varnish (satin finish)...sometimes both. As was already said, thin coats, because it will effect the work. I use ink a fair amount of time & have discovered that it (spray fixes) unifies large areas of brushed ink. On color pencil it tends to darken & intensify.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
anything that's aerosol and good quality will have fumes. Get used to it.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
any aerosol-based can should work just fine. spray in just a few whisper-thin coats, and you're set.

chalk pastels can be severely dulled by fixative. just FYI.
:iconwilwhalen:
WilWhalen Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
In art school we used dollar store hair spray, and it worked just fine.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I was always told to avoid hair spray because it turns the page yellow after a time.
Add a Comment: