Closed to new replies
November 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

PDFs ? I would like some views on this Subject

:iconmishrafathom:
MishraFathom Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I am Planning to do Digital Magz for fun. But would like some views on work flow and stuff?

For example If i had a 50 page mag would i simply just do it in photo shop or is there a better adobe program to use for page layout also i want it to keep the test so people can copy and past the text, I want to be able to let them have links to websites that they can just click on to go to the site. if so is is also possible to have a picture be a link like have an ad for someones site in the PDF they can just click on to link to the site?

PRetty much what would be the best advised work flow and programs for page layout and design to PDF output so i still have links and copiable text?

Thanks

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I guess you should ask yourself why you are making the magazine PDF. If you want it to do everything a web page does... why not just make it a web page? (I admit I'm prejudiced against putting things on the web that a web browser won't display without calling up another program, because I've worked for years on weird OSes where any additional complication like launching another program might make the file too annoying to read. MOST people will be able to see the PDF without any problems but a few won't. So you always want to ask yourself "Does this format add enough value to the product to make up for the few people who won't be able to use it?".)
well more people can view a PDF than those that can view a Web page at it can be seen offline, more mobile devices now support PDF and again its still off line and easy to share offline too. Simple to download and reasonable small if set up right as well.

It's just a thought really, Like for example when reading comics or manga online i wish i could get the apps i can for my phone to download whole manga chapter or book rather then go page by page. But i would prefer it more if i could just download a full PDF or even a zipped file with the whole book and all its pages, simple, neat and organized and does not require ad much browsing, also nicer to print too, rather then going page by page like you would with a browser and less effort to customize a layout as i know very little about web design,
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
But you are asking about adding content that can't be seen offline. If the goal is to allow people to read it offline, then why worry about adding links to the PDF file? If the goal is to allow people to access online content like links, then why insist on it being a PDF file?
Well just cos i want it to be usable and easy to share Offline, no reason to not take advantage of online options. just means those wont work offline. Like you tube is great but much nicer to have the option to download and keep videos we like.
:icongothicbuttafly:
gothicbuttafly Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Oh ha ha someone already said that
:icongothicbuttafly:
gothicbuttafly Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Filmographer
You could use InDesign?
I've heard its pretty good for stuff like that but just wondering if it can do all the imbedded links and so on for links to reference to an article for example. or turn an ad into a link. guess it would be worth looking into. :P
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, it does that.
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional General Artist
Look up Adobe InDesign.
Add a Comment: