Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Is my art good enough to do commissions?

:iconresennar:
Well, I've been on DA for almost 3 years, and I've always been striving to improve my art and try to make it meet my standards (Yeah I'm kind of critical when it comes to my art :XD:)
But how do I know I am ready to do commissions? I have commission prices open but no one is ordering.
Are the prices too high? Should I work on my art even more? (Not quite good enough to be sold? etc...)
Thanks in advance for your help guys, I'm really stuck here :peace:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconxyires:
Xyires Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
When people ask this it's hard to define if you are good enough or not. When it comes to basic principles such as anatomy for example that's a bit obvious but being able to sell your art relies on one major thing, marketing.

Honestly from looking at your current work I'd say you have potential, but I would not buy it because I'm not really a wolf fan, you need to find your target audience then whore out them prices. I nearly fell over when you said you think you are "overcharging". You realize 120-125 points is 1 approx. right? One chocolate bar and a pack of crisps for all your hard work, actually since it's virtual money that's not even possible, but I'm sure you get my point.
Hmm.. that does seem like I am really undercharging my work D:
That does make sense though.
:iconglori305:
You can not just post a journal with commission prices and expect people to start commissioning you.

There are going to be watchers that do not even get your journals.

Making art is about being creative, but selling art is about sales skills. You need to find the people who would like to buy your art, and convince them that it is your art that they need to buy.

You might want to hit up the groups you belong to on DA and see if any of them will post in their journal that you are doing commissions. Also do you have commission in the title, or search words of any of the things in your gallery? If someone stumbles upon DA looking for an artist to draw a picture for them them, would they be likely to hit you from the front page?
Ah, that makes sense.
I should fine tune my sales skills then.
Thank you very much.
:iconwaiting-for-wings:
waiting-for-wings Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i like your art :D i think it's just making sure people know that your doing commissions, they might not.
Thank you c:
:iconvineris:
Vineris Nov 8, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Well, if people don't want your stuff then you have something wrong. But whether that's the wrong audience or the wrong art or the wrong place or the wrong salespitch is anybody's guess. Keep doing different things until something works.

Nobody ever claimed that having a business was going to be a cakewalk, if you want to sell things then you gotta keep working and evolving until you make it. And then you still keep working and evolving so that other people don't take your customers.
Hmmm I understand.
Thank you,this really helped ^^
:iconrecoat:
Seeing as you're severely underpricing your work, I'd say no.
Anything you might recommend doing?
Add a Comment: