Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

If you are a COMMISSION ARTIST I have a question for you...

:iconninaste:
ninaste Nov 8, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Is it more difficult to get commission clients the last three months of the year???

This is my first year so I don't know what's happening, I've been working since January this year and it all was really good, got loads of clients, normal you know...

Now that it's nearing the end of the year I am not getting many people interested in commissioning even though the prices are very affordable so I wonder if this is normal or if I should do some more promotion with my work I don't know...

Just wondering. Hope to get some feedback on this...

:wave:
LAU;

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Nov 9, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
You need to expand your audience, then. Advertise other places.
ninaste Nov 10, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I'll have that in mind :)
:iconjsaren:
Jsaren Nov 8, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
If your "audience" of people who usually commission you are mostly students (either in high school or college), you might get a dip in sales once they all go back to school (usually beginning in the fall) and/or have to pay for school so no one really has money for commissions. I only just opened up my commissions last month, but since most of my watchers are students, I've had no sales (and my pageviews/favorites have gone down). They might pick up again around the holidays because of winter break, or whenever else they get time off.
ninaste Nov 9, 2012  Student Digital Artist
thanks for the comment, you are right, some of my
commission artists do are students and stuff so
I might just keep focusing on creating some personal
pieces and practicing :)
:iconjsaren:
Jsaren Nov 9, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
:) No problem!
:iconmonkiki62:
Monkiki62 Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Usually it does because people are saving up for xmas. Youd think youd get more because its xmas but everyone gets busy this time of year. If it continues, try to bring something new to the table.
Oh I am sure it's just that, the fact that it's holidays
and people is saving up, I might just keep on focusing on
the practices while the dead season passes by :)

Thanks for the feedback
:iconmonkiki62:
Monkiki62 Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah no prob! :D
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Nov 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hi,

I have not noticed that to be an issue, but here are some possibilities to consider:

Freelance work has a tendency to fluctuate. It can be difficult to keep a consistent amount of work from week to week or month to month. If you got so busy that you stopped looking for new jobs then you may experience a lean period until you follow more leads.

If you are getting your work from one specific website, Those clients might be less active during certain months or they might be saving up for holidays or spending their money elsewhere during those months. If that's the case, then you could think about finding additional clients elsewhere.

Maybe you recently changed something in your profile or gallery that has affected sales.

If you had a run of repeat business that has ended then it might seem like a general drop in workload.

The USA just had a presidential election this week. If your clients are USA voters they may have had their minds on the election instead of commissions for the past several weeks.
Oh yeah I see now, it's true, I figured out it could
be because of the holidays for sure so I'll keep all
this in consideration and just keep on getting better
and practicing my craft :handshake:

THANKS...
Add a Comment: