Closed to new replies
November 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

portfolio

:iconsakorademon:
SakoraDemon Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
i need to create a portfolio of art for school, i need to add like portraits and still life, but im not good at drawing those sort of things, so can any one give me some tips and advice please? on how to improve on drawing portraits and still life.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Practice. I used to set up stuff to draw still life when I was in middle and high school, just random collections of objects.

Take a lot of time. Look at what you are drawing/painting really well, examine it from all angles, be able to 'feel' it in your head. Observe details.

Don't think of it as "I'm going to do a still life" or "I'm going to do a portrait", think "I'm going to observe and learn how to draw these things so I will be able to do it later for an original purpose".
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional General Artist
Perhaps this class by Betty Edwards will give you some tips to get better at drawing from observation: [link]
:iconrecoat:
Recoat Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
The point of a pre-acceptance portfolio is meant to show your current skill level. Many people can tell you what to do, but without just jumping in and giving it your all, it's not going to help you.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
I'm confused... school is suppose to be teaching you those things before you get to the portfolio part. I'm in school and it doesn't get to the portfolio until the end of the sesmester. Focusing on a portfolio before you can do the work seems a bit premature to me.
:icontheevanescencebegins:
TheEvanescenceBegins Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
basically my friend here did not study art for gcse so now when she wants to apply for a level art they have nothing to base their judgement on. thats why they need a portfolio :)
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional General Artist
Maybe this person needs a portfolio in order to get into an art school.
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
They're right. The answer is hard work and practice. Draw by looking at someone and drawing them. Get feedback by posting thumbnails in the Deviation Thumbshares section if you want it. Do a ton of work and then select the best one(s). You may be able to find free or inexpensive life drawing groups near you by doing an internet search. Otherwise here are some reference and figure drawing websites:
human anatomy for artists: [link] small images are free/ large images available with membership
human comic art reference photos: [link] huge professional photo reference site
lovecastle: [link] male, female, big cats, horses, hands, heads
pixelovely: [link] people and animals
PoseManiacs: [link] anatomical drawing references
Quickposes: [link] nude photos for figure drawing
Zvork Virtual Lighting: [link] interactive lighting on 3d human models

Also consult the website for the art school if you need any specific info about their portfolio requirements.
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
hmn. I probably could have skipped those first two links, the others are probably better resources for an art school portfolio.
:iconslave2karma:
Slave2Karma Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Take a life-drawing class and or a still-life drawing class. Get a sketchbook and carry it around with you, flip it out and draw things you see/gestures of people. ^_^
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
the way you improve your drawing is by drawing a lot.

so get drawing.
Add a Comment: