Closed to new replies
November 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

Am I good enough for a career in art?

:iconchocochiyoko:
CHOCOCHIYOKO Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student General Artist
I really don't know. I am thinking of trying to pursue art as a career but I would prefer to not be a starving artist. I would love to have a career in illustration, design, fashion, gaming, movies effects or anything like that. I think an art job would make me the happiest but I am nervous to launch into it.
Please take a look at my gallery and be honest with me. Thanks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconchocovanillax:
ChocoVanillaX Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student General Artist
I think you are awesome ^^ you can do it if you work hard and study the techniques deeper.
:iconcielle4vr:
cielle4vr Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
GO FOR IT!!! You'll learn so much in college, just make sure you're completely devoted to practicing and have fun!
:iconsewbunny:
Sewbunny Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012   Digital Artist
Listen dear, A career is different from a job. The thing is though you have to know which art form you specifically wants to do. When a person looks at your art profile they're looking at many different things, it's all depends on what you're launching as a career. For example if you want to be in digital art they won't look at how well you can draw but how well you can handle a program. So in the end i'll say this, every one can have a career but you have to know which one is for you.
CHOCOCHIYOKO Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
I will work hard to expand my portfolio and try to find what I like :D I guess studying art would be a good way of experimenting
Sewbunny Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012   Digital Artist
Try all the things :iconrainbowplz:
I will XD
Sewbunny Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012   Digital Artist
:iconthumbsupplz:
:iconchemicalalia:
ChemicalAlia Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
All of the things you listed require different and specific skill sets. If you have your mind set on a particular art career, you'll need to focus on developing the skills necessary to do the job and a portfolio to demonstrate those skills. Awesome drawing/painting skills won't get you a job as a 3d modeller, for example.
I will try to find what I want...I guess studying art would be a good way to figure this out...
:iconsangrde:
Sangrde Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012   Digital Artist
Oh I am in high school too! Are you planning to get in art college, And then get a job?

I am going to art college after Graduating high school. Well,. I am not sure if I should do it or not.. Because my mom does not like me draw and wants me to go business major,.. Meh

Anyway I am free lancer while attending high school, and worked for various jobs like online game, illustration book etc. I believe this would be nice for my college/job portfolio in future so freelancing would build you good work experience (as long as it doesnt affect on your grade)

And draw other styles so you can get MORE clients -- anime, semi realism, pixel, realism, traditional and digital, pencil and water color, etc.

I have many different styles so ppl think it's not drawn by the same person sometimes xD;; but make sure you develope one unique own style which would be your major!
wow you are very good-- I do the same thing basically, I sell my work, work on games and freelance and go to cons :) I will try to work on more styles XD and I might go to art school but I may go to normal school and then just study art....I'm not sure.....
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
"I think an art job would make me the happiest but I am nervous to launch into it."

Oh. Then I guess you get to be a manager or accountant or something.

You either do it or you don't. That cliff never gets any less scary and there's never any guarantee that you won't go SPLAT. If you can live with that then jump and if you can't then do something else.
Ok thank you :) I will work on being more assertive. This is really something I want to do my best at so I will keep your advice in mind for sure
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Have not looked at your gallery. Doesn't matter.

I have seen professional art that I am dissapointed in the quality of.

While you do need art skills, you need more determination, and if you are going to do freelance, sales skills.

For working for an employer, you will be competing with others, there are more artists out there than there are job's, so you will need to tailor your portfolio to each company you send it to, and do research on them.

For freelance, you will need to go out looking for jobs, and convince people that you are the best person for the job.

Also, before you decide that an art career is for you, how would you feel if you were sitting at your desk, and working on something exactly the way the boss told you to do it, and s/he comes along and tells you that is not what they said, you need to change this and that and the other, and they still need it done tonight, even thought you are going to have to start over? It's the kind of thing that will happen if you are working as an artist, and this will happen freelance as well, although you were often likely to find out that they want something changed after you have finished the piece, thought it was done, and moved on.

Do you like the challenge of a deadline? Do you prefer to draw soemone else's request or your own idea?
Thank you for your advice :) I am so uncertain but I will figure it out soon XD
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think your art is quite good, but it might be a bit hard to get in a real job with mainly anime-ish art only. Illustration studio's often require you to be able to pull of multiple different styles.
I will work more on broadening my style XD
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Aside from that: keep going.
You're awesomely skilled! ;)
Thank you very much :) I will keep working harder and harder :)
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Hey Chocochi. I know you XD.

Well have you read any Steven Savage's Stuff or attended his panels? It was pretty inspiring stuff for him to talk about how fan art can lead to a successful Career.

Should also talk around BAAU people too.

Apparently, alot of BAAU people are illustrators, or concept artist so you should talk to them.

And one advice, you should try improving alots, or quote by my Friend Chris P. "EVERYONE IS OUT TO GET YOU." It means you just got to prove your art is more worth it then your friend tabling next to you.

And by some research, at first its hard to get in, but once your in, you can live a sucessful Career in art as told by Feng Zhu in concept art.
Ok, and yeah I am always looking to improve and am very competitive XD thanks for the advvice :D and yeah I know you toooooo
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Haha welcome.
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
You got some pretty impressive stuff, which means, if you put the effort, you could set yourself up for a good career.
I hope so XD and I sure hope so XD
:iconpainted-bees:
painted-bees Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
if you can move dramatically out of your comfort zones, and broaden your skill set, that would be a good place to start. As it is now, your work is very narrow/extremely particular and it would be difficult to find jobs with it.
Work diligently, study lots, and never fall content with your work. You have tons of time yet to develop the skills and build upon your fundamental knowledge. When you choose art as a career, it will not always be fun. There's a lot of hard work and frustration to be put in :]
Certainly, by the look of where your art currently stand, you appear teachable. But like any of your peers, you'll need to be willing to have what you think you know about art be deconstructed and then rebuilt. And that is generally a very frusterating and harrowing experience for anyone.
I will work on going out of my comfort zone more! And I am very ready to work at this >.< I am very nervous to make decision though DX
:iconofficial-lamp:
Official-Lamp Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Sure, if you're willing to work for it. Anyone can work for a career in art (assuming no physical disabilities that prevent drawing and such). I don't know where people get this idea that you've either got it or you don't, it comes from hard work and study.
Ok I will keep this in mind. I am willing to work hard. Thank you for the advice
:iconmrsomeuser:
mrsomeuser Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
I would say that you're on your way! Just a push or two and some practice, you'll be an excellent artist in no time! c: If an art job makes you the happiest, then you should try with all your might to pursue it :3
Thank you so much XD I will try very hard :D
:iconskvattram:
Skvattram Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
You're not quite ready to work professionally yet, but you're well on the way.
If you keep practicing the important stuff, you'll be there in a few years.
yeah I should have added I'm only in high school: so I'm trying to decide if I should study art and if I have the potential for art school and beyond. Thank you for the comment
:iconvalentinehearts:
ValentineHearts Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student General Artist
I think you're well on your way to an art career - you have plenty of talent, you just have to be willing to try your hardest!
thank you. I am willing to work very hard studying art at a higher level so I hope people will accept me to college >.>
Add a Comment: