Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Going to art school to draw for pleasure.

:iconraylorn:
Raylorn Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student General Artist
This has been bugging me. There was this person in a forum I was in, he/she said that I was pathetic for saying that it was silly for someone to pay expensive fees for art school just to draw for pleasure.

And I mean just for the luxury to draw for pleasure and not have an art career.

I mean seeing I was an art student myself, how could I draw for pleasure when I'm not allow to draw what I want and when I please? I have sleepless nights just to meet the deadlines.

Now I'm curious why did the person think like that? Is there any other reason other than he/she probably don't know what they are talking about?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconava-ire:
ava-ire Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
well, i think it would be a bit odd not to make a profit out of it after all that learning, especially when you'll presumably be very good and it'd be the ideal thing to pay off the loans etc with, but overall i don't see the problem! the only reason i've taken an art a level is to get better at it. i've done piano lessons for years because i like the feeling of being /good/ at something, especially for someone of my age. it's just a nice feeling. some people don't care about the money; it's more about enjoying yourself or knowing that you can do something well. it's a real self esteem boost!

mind you, i'm saying this now, but i'm lucky enough to come from a family that doesn't have many money problems. i'm very grateful, but i think if we always had to be super careful about what we buy, i'd have a different point of view on things.
I took piano lessons as well and I didn't make a career out of it. But the thing is I don't think piano lessons don't give you sleepless nights to meet the deadline. And art college is way more expensive than piano lessons. (But I don't know about the piano lesson fees in America because I'm not a US citizen and I also don't know how much is the workload in US art college/school)

That's why I'm curious that anyone why to put unnecessary stress on themselves.
:iconava-ire:
ava-ire Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
ahhh well actually i have to do performances and those are extremely stressful :U but you're right they're not expensive! :) art college is way more expensive indeed. i don't live in the US, by the way. i'm english haha, everything is really expensive here lately.

sometimes the stress is worth the reward. i stress out a lot but in the end it's always worth it. it's not about careers and money for everyone, i think! :)
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
"I mean seeing I was an art student myself, how could I draw for pleasure when I'm not allow to draw what I want and when I please?"

I don't know, I enjoy drawing stuff for other people on a schedule. It's a challenge. If I were stupidly rich I *would* go to art school for pleasure and it would be a lot less silly than buying a $7000 handbag and snorting cocaine off the pool boy. Heck, I'd go get a chemistry degree for pleasure. I'd collect degrees like Pokemon.

But if you can't afford to blow $100,000 on school then yeah, it's silly.
True.

But if you enjoy drawing stuff for other people on schedule, then why not take on commissions/requests/projects? You don't need money for that.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
But if you have the money then a classroom experience is different from a sitting-at-home-working-for-someone experience. For one thing there's someone at the front pretending they know what they're talking about. And there's a whole group of other people that you're sharing the experience with. Maybe you get access to equipment that would be too expensive or impractical to own yourself.
:icontweedledoom:
tweedledoom Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I can only imagine this person has either never actually seriously considered art school or has more money than they know what to do with.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
It's probably more that artschool is expensive. Few people have the money to invest in artschool just for pleasure.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
As soon as I get money I'm paying for Piano lessons, do I want to be the next big thing? No, do I want a career in it, no. I want to learn more because I enjoy it.

Do what the fuck you want, and just ignore people. Your life, your rules.
Add a Comment: