November 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Helped by an animator, good or bad?

:iconrachlouise3:
rachlouise3 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student General Artist
Orig tumblr post: [link]

So someone at my work is married to a character animator (and she herself has industry experience) and I asked her to look at my sketches since I had a bit of trouble making a good, animate-able character for my entrance portfolio for Sheridan college.

I find that my character designs, considering my art style, are better for design/illustration but not necessarily animation. So took pics of my sketches and told me she would email me back.

So she gave her pics of my sketches to her hubby and God bless them both, I got a quick reply, redraws of my characters and sketches with tips and everything. They look absolutely beautiful. Of course, the sketches have been watermarked and out of courtesy, they aren't touching the internet.

Honestly...I am kind of both happy and disappointed...I dunno how exactly to feel. I'm grateful and everything but he's redrawn my characters and now they're perfect and there's no room for me to improve the character design?

I mean, he's taken my drawings, made them his own, and now I have to make them mine again and I will probably make them worse.

Tips and partial sketches would have been sufficient, IMHO.

I don't know what to do with them anymore. Should I draw them again in my style with improvement thanks to the tips and submit that as my entrance portfolio? It doesn't feel right.

Help me out, guys. Portfolio day is in less than two weeks and I'm getting nervous.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Make some new character designs using the advice. Then compare them to the original characters you sent off. If the new ones are better then use those and if the old ones are better than use those. This way you're not any worse off than you were at the beginning, and maybe better.

I had this happen to me once and what I did was redraw the picture in a completely different style, incorporating many of the suggestions for colouring but not copying or using the other person's work. It's tough, because you really don't want to just use their work, you want to do your own, but you also want to make the best picture/character you can. And you can do that, you can absorb the lessons without using those specific designs... but if you're not used to working in multiple styles then it will take you a longer than two weeks. So in this case I'd try to apply the lessons to new characters so that you can use them right away without being hampered by the difference between the old design and improved design.
rachlouise3 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student General Artist
Yeah I'll try that.
So far I have two distinct styles but they aren't exactly interchangable as the other style is not ideal for animation/character turnarounds.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012   Digital Artist
Put them away and don't look at them. Then draw your characters again just based on the advice and tips without looking at the pics. Even if they look 'worse' they'll be yours. And I'm sure there are different ways to incorporate the tips than the way he's drawn them. I think all help is good help, even if it feels a little weird at the time. :)

And next time, just ask him for tips rather than a redraw. You can tell him that although you appreciate it, seeing somebody else's drawing of your character confuses you when you are trying to draw.
rachlouise3 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student General Artist
Haha I didn't know he would take the time to redraw everything. Maybe next time I should specify...

Thanks ^_^
Add a Comment: